DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has been covered, (but I am a dumb noob here...heh)
So, I freaking LOVE sat. Radio, and have had an account for almost ten years, I think.
Now that I have the SQ bug back, man, I feel shackled by the compression and s/n that are (seemingly) inherent in all sat. Signals.
Thoughts/tips? Just looking for some generic opinions and experiences here. The programming is simply too great to give up, but man, does it sou nd..constipated.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I mean it's not streaming in anything that could be considered lossless, if you want true full dynamic sound your best bet is a lossless format

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fm hd? Not where I live/travel. Also, not too many live shows broadcast in entirety on fm...

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I just gave up and deal with it for daily driving. If I want it to sound good I go to my lossless collection or CD's.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Also FM HD will have same quality as Sirius/XM except with the same crap all day and commercials.
I disagree with half of your statement. FM HD sounds leaps and bounds better than sirius/XM. I had both in my car, but cancelled my XM subscription because of the poor sound quality. To me, XM sounded worse than regular FM radio...it is however, the same crap all day and commercials.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Technology of compression, expansion, and higher bandwidth capabilities can certainly change. And if Sirius/XM can't do it, possibly the next generation of ground based transmission systems *might* be able to...

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
As long as people keep paying for sat radio(in it's present form), they will not bother to make it any better. ever hear "If it ain't broke..."

Most folks are happy with AUTO-TUNED soul-less garbage, that has the sound properties of an musical gift card... that stuff sounds the same @ what-ever the bit-rate it is played from.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts