DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Which replacement?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I'm getting back what I paid for it from the warranty I had on it through squaretrade. So I'm wondering, what should I replace it with?

I had a PDX2.150, so I'm contemplating these replacements:

*Another PDX2.150 - direct replacement, little to no extra cost

*PDX4.100/4.150 - little extra cost for 4.100, good bit for 4.150, same SQ (or lack thereof), relatively same output, allows for active in the future

*Sundown 100.4D - around the same as a 4.150, better S/N, better THD, better channel separation, AB vs. Class D sound, allows for active in the future

Is there anything else I should be considering? I would prefer to stay away from the likes of anything sold in Best Buy. I would go for a DLS A4, but that's a bit out of my price range. I would also love if I could get a hold on a brand new Zed for a decent price, but I know they're tough to find.

EDIT: The only drawback to anything other than a PDX is that my amp rack under my false floor won't accommodate a larger amplifier, so I'd have to make spack for the replacement somewhere.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
177 Posts
Supposedly they designed them after the old reference amps. Someone on here gave it really good reviews - ran a little hot so keep it well ventilated. The reason no one has been picking them up is because they were just released. In fact, their mono isn't even available yet despite that woofersetc has them for sale. There are some gut pics on here somewhere too. Pretty beefy. I like the S/N ratio and power output, ill be buying mine in a few weeks!! :)

·
Former Installator
298 Posts
They may have borrowed some features... still not high current capable...

pfffftt!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
no contest on this one, if you are going to spend at all, the go with the Sundown; why back to the PDX gang 4.100 or 4.150 given the cost is about the same

on the other hand if budget concerns, screw it get back to the 2.150, get it replaced

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Well, if you already have the spot designated that a PDX fits into, then I would just get one of the 4 channels and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Yes sir...been selling them for awhile and actually on 'sale' the last time i looked
My statement was directed to the OP since he said he doesn't want anything sold at Best Buy but he's looking at PDXs.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My statement was directed to the OP since he said he doesn't want anything sold at Best Buy but he's looking at PDXs.
I realize that the PDX's are sold at best buy, but I didn't buy them there and among all of the equipment that BB stocks, I would say that the PDX's are the highest quality product. What I meant was anything rockford, kenwood, pioneer, etc.

Hmmm... if your first PDX blew up, why buy another one?
I have another PDX1.600 that is equally as old and it still works perfectly to this day and puts out oodles of power (knock on wood) Plus, a PDX fits perfectly in my subfloor, anything else will look out of place next to my PDX1.600. That's why I'm considering another one. If I don't mind mounting the second amp somewhere else, I would go with a sundown or something similar.

·
Tuning is everything.
2,761 Posts
I realize that the PDX's are sold at best buy, but I didn't buy them there and among all of the equipment that BB stocks, I would say that the PDX's are the highest quality product. What I meant was anything rockford, kenwood, pioneer, etc.
I'd disagree with that. Rockfords stuff is solid, and kenwoods screens, nav and decks are great bang for the buck. Again seeing as how your PDX is dead, i'd say that's a major indicator of it's quality.

I have another PDX1.600 that is equally as old and it still works perfectly to this day and puts out oodles of power (knock on wood) Plus, a PDX fits perfectly in my subfloor, anything else will look out of place next to my PDX1.600. That's why I'm considering another one. If I don't mind mounting the second amp somewhere else, I would go with a sundown or something similar.
I feel you. There are other small amps, but if your setup is already built for the PDX to fit in...

I would change amps though, but that's coming from a PDX non-beleiver. :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I just bought another PDX... this time a 4.100. Let's hope this one will last longer than the last :rolleyes: I'm getting a 3 year warranty on it just to be sure. If it weren't for my subfloor fitting the PDX's perfectly, I would have gone to Sundown or DLS or Tru (if I could afford it) or Zapco. But for this car, I'm just going to leave it at good with the PDX's and RSD's active maybe :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me... ;)
Lol... I know the adage. We'll see how this goes. I'll definitely be getting a warranty again just to be safe. I have never heard of PDX's failing before, so I'll just stick to the hope that I had a defect.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would have tried the Sundown 125.2 (my next purchase!!!) if the 100.4 is too expensive.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would have tried the Sundown 125.2 (my next purchase!!!) if the 100.4 is too expensive.
I wouldn't have minded this, but the 125.2 has less power per channel than my PDX did and I don't want to lose anything here. Plus, going with a 4 channel gives me the option of going active in the future (which I do plan to do).

·
Registered
76 Posts
I love the alpine amps. With the 4 channel you would have more flexibility if you ever changed setups. I have not had any issues with mine and it's been pushed hard for 2 years.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts