DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here...and the forum says "No question is dumb", so here goes:)

I am a 50 year old non-audiophile that just likes "clean" music (no real way to describe it, I guess).

I'm working on a project car ('88 911 targa) and figured I may as well put some good tunes in it...what are hobbies for if not emptying your checkbook, right?

I haven't done any car audio for over 30 years, so my knowledge is limited to say the least. I've tried to research as best I can, and would welcome any input...

I'm trying to put together the rest of the system with this HU. Since there are outs for High, Mid, Low, and Sub...I've got a 4 channel amp (Alpine MRPF 300) that was just laying around that I thought I might use for the High/Low, then I will need separate amps for the subs and the mids.

Is the Alpine a decent amp, or should I look elsewhere?

What amp/speakers would you recommend? Since the HU has an internal crossover, I don't need a component system?

Mids in the doors (5 1/4-6/12)? Lows in the rear (6x9)? I'm having a hard time finding non-two channel speakers that aren't sold as part of a component system for the mids.

I know it always comes down to how much $$ do you want to spend, but I just want to put together something worthy of the HU...and since it's not a quiet car (;)) nuances aren't really important!

Rick

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The ES Gold line from CDT Audio would compliment that head unit nicely. All of the pieces can be ordered separately, but it's a better value to get a component set and just not use the crossovers. Another great brand to look into is Hybrid Audio Technologies.

A number of people will probably advise "raw" drivers, many of which are originally marketed for home audio. You've got a lot to research, and this is a great site to learn from.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear since I've not heard of either brand and wouldn't know the first thing about them without a recommendation.

"Raw drivers"...I thought this was an English forum, not greek!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Wow, thats a hell of a head unit for a "non-audiophile"...
Exactly what I was thinking.

If you can give a budget you're looking to spend on amps and speakers then people can give you some recommendations.

There are a lot of guys in NC on here so I'm sure you could get some of them to let you audition their vehicles and you can figure out what brand(s) speakers you like. Everyone has their own preferences and bias, so the best thing to do is try to listen to as many systems as you can (in cars, not on demo boards) and find out what you like.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I know it always comes down to how much $$ do you want to spend, but I just want to put together something worthy of the HU...and since it's not a quiet car (;)) nuances aren't really important!
Oh just read that part... Then you're going to have to copy my best friend's system. He has the same head unit as you so you're going to have to go with Audison Thesis drivers :cool:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/106563-jooonnns-rebuild-2005-corolla-rear-deck-ib-hertz-hx300-subwoofers-thesis-2-way.html

Not skilled installers in anyway but you can see what the speakers look like and some people on this forum who live in NC like his set up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You know, I was looking to replace the original Blaupunkt cassette deck and all I could find was units that resembled a bad '70s disco dance floor. This unit popped up on a search and looked nice, and the more I read about the more I liked...plus I've never had a decent sounding system in a car, and my kids are a few years from going to college, so I figured...what the hell.

I had a good time putting together a system for our home and figured I'd do the same for the car...Vintage home audio was a piece of cake 'cause I remember it from when I was a kid...this new car audio? Not so much:)

It turns out there is a Hybrid Audio Tech dealer about an hour away, and he is putting together something for me. Since it's a project car, I'll just buy a little at a time, that way I'll (and my wife) won't ever have to look at a total outlay;)

ETA: he's putting some options together, not the complete system...oops

btw...jooonnn's rebuild is just.....wow

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
You have airco hardware in the smuglars box I suppose? If not it's a great place for a sub:

with:

results in:

one 8" JBL GTO but it get's loud enough for me...

I'd go for 6 1/2" in the lower door and a seperate tweeter somewhere. I chose to do them where the door handles would go on the older models with a 3D print pod for aiming:

I'm not sure if I'd do that again. Maybe somewhere more up front in the black trim piece of the doors...

Are you planning to go with seperate mid range speakers? I tried to figure out where to put them, kicks is possible but it is a small car. If you're not afraid of some weight concider some damping/deadening.
Holes covered with 1mm aluminium and covered with CLD:

MLV glued to the back of the door cards (heavy stuff!):

(separated from the door skin with weater stripping foam raster #)
Here's the build thread, might help get some idea's:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/86635-1982-porsche-911-first-build-simple-system.html

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wesayso...man, what great information.

I had done a search over at Pelican but somehow missed your thread (no so computer savvy I must say).

I have both 6.5" and 3.5" speakers in the door now, and you know the small 4x6 in the rear...great idea with the smuggler box for the sub.

Off to read your thread at PP!

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Hey Rick - I live near Greensboro, and I have that same head unit. If you want to take a listen sometime - we could set that up (not sure where you are in NC). I would love to get a look at that car as well. ;)

Jason

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Jason, I'm in Southern Pines...just an hour south on 220. We get up that way pretty often as it's the closest Hooter's to us:)

I've got the car on a lift now as I'm doing a top-end rebuild on the engine, but should be finished in a few months. I think I can see the first road trip w/ the new engine/tunes taking shape!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Wesayso...man, what great information.

I had done a search over at Pelican but somehow missed your thread (no so computer savvy I must say).

I have both 6.5" and 3.5" speakers in the door now, and you know the small 4x6 in the rear...great idea with the smuggler box for the sub.

Off to read your thread at PP!
If you want to build a box like that for the smuglars box it's in my build thread here on DiyMA with all the dimensions you need.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I saw that but have to admit, I think I'd need a degree in mechanical design to build it! But I'm sure going to try.

(Are you sure you don't want to come over to the states for a vacation? I can take you fishing, fix you some good BBQ, and get you all the beer you want:p)

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
That would be great. We will have to see about getting together after the first of the year. You need to also try to hook up with Mike (Velozity) - he lives in Southern Pines, and he is extremely knowledgeable.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I saw that but have to admit, I think I'd need a degree in mechanical design to build it! But I'm sure going to try.

(Are you sure you don't want to come over to the states for a vacation? I can take you fishing, fix you some good BBQ, and get you all the beer you want:p)
Tempting (lol) but I'm sure I can help you make one.
I'll look into some simple drawings you can print real size.

I'd go for 6 1/2" in the lower door and a seperate tweeter somewhere. I chose to do them where the door handles would go on the older models with a 3D print pod for aiming:

I'm not sure if I'd do that again. Maybe somewhere more up front in the black trim piece of the doors...
Scrap that comment about not being sure I'd do it again. I think I would after looking at the other options available. Ask me again in a month when I have my new pods ready with Vifa XT25 tweeters. Pods (3D print) should arrive next week.
Mounting in the black trim piece on top of the door panels would bring them no further from the listening position. Wit the tweeters where I have them now they totally dissapear and give a great image and stage. I think that's because of the absence of a lot of early reflections.

Have you decided on speakers yet? I love my mid bass, the Herz ML1600 (2008 version). Herz MLK 165 would be very similar and cheaper but there are fakes in circulation. I bought my ML 1600's trough ebay Italy but no longer see them for sale there, only the newer version that is very different (cheaper made it seems).

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Attached in PDF I have the side view of my subbox, if you can print 2 of these 1:1 scale (real life size on A3 paper size) and cut them out from a piece of cardboard so you can use them as a template for the two 18 mm MDF sides of your box. The cardboard piece can be used to check the fit in the smuglars box.
The dashed lines represent the pieces inbetween made from MDF in the thickness as noted on the drawing. Their length is about 210mm. The top plate should be easy, just copy the original lid of the smuglars box. Cut a hole for your sub of choise and add an MDF ring (as I did) to mount the sub on. You'll need to make some room for the brake lines in the top lid, that's where I run the loudspeaker cable.

All measurements in mm (I'm European after all ;))

I added a brace between the 2 18mm sides to gain some rigidness:

Painted the outside and used rubberised coating in a spray can for the inside.
Glued the whole thing together with screws to hold everything in place.

That should help you quite a bit?

(The black lines you see on the side in this picture was used to make the brace)

Edit: the net volume is about 9 litre. You'll need a sub that can work with that sealed like the JBL GTO 804. With the Genesis series III Four channel 2 channels bridged to the sub I give it about 290 watt max (typical power rating from Genesis).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts