DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to power 2 kenwood subs for $100 .
Which one would you pick off amazon ( i have a $100 credit)

toro amp or skar 500.1

·
Registered
520 Posts
Folks seem to be having good experiences with toro.

JBL has a 300 watt option that would get you a "name brand" amp (worth more if you sell 2nd hand). 300 vs 500 watts wont be an audible difference in output.

Avoid the skarbage

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yep avoid the Skarbage not only because of that but the owner lets just say yeah he has a little bit of a bad reputation on car audio forums,lol.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Never heard of Toro, but love my Skar subwoofer, and Skar 4 ch amp. I've talked with a few people over at Skar, not necessarily the owner, but they have always been really cool with me....
Skar makes some great stuff at very reasonable prices.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Folks seem to be having good experiences with toro.

JBL has a 300 watt option that would get you a "name brand" amp (worth more if you sell 2nd hand). 300 vs 500 watts wont be an audible difference in output.

Avoid the skarbage
I've always heard that doubling the wattage makes a 3 db difference. I'd think 300 to 500 would be at least noticable.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I won't post why that stuff is out there about him. And as far as the Skar Subwoofer and their products goes, won't go into detail there either on a public forum. Information is out there on all of it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I won't post why that stuff is out there about him. And as far as the Skar Subwoofer and their products goes, won't go into detail there either on a public forum. Information is out there on all of it.
Why not ? If you think you have a legit beef, why not tell us what exactly it is ? Otherwise like I said, Skar makes good stuff at a reasonable price.
Granted I'd pay 50% more if it were made in the USA !

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Based on what I have read about Skar, I would recommend Toro. Skar has an interesting history. I am sure the product works well but I do not like supporting companies with a shady past.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've always heard that doubling the wattage makes a 3 db difference. I'd think 300 to 500 would be at least noticable.
10*log(500/300) = 2.2 dB, so barely audible assuming the subs are efficient with the extra watts. Personally I would go toro for the compact size.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Okay. Read that whole thing. (And I've read similar stuff in the past)

A couple thoughts come to mind. First off, that is an 8 yo thread. Maybe the guy had a drug or alcohol problem or something going on ? Who knows ? How long are people going to be talking about the guy, if he has gotten his personal issues straight ?

Secondly, it seems like he sold good solid products even 8 years ago. Now, after all this time, Skar has become even bigger, and more popular. In these tough times, that says a lot. A car audio car audio company does not last this long if they are not making a lot of people happy.

Like I say, I'd rather not buy anything made in China in the first place.... But so little choices, and so expensive if made here in the US.

My Skar sub and amp have been solid though. Also, my little bit of customer service with them was fine.

·
Registered
65 Posts
One of my good friends called me about a year or two ago asking what I thought about Skar audio, as he was soon to be building a system from the ground up (after years away from the hobby) I told him I'd pass and look for something better..

He thought I was crazy and ordered the stuff anyway.. He ordered a pair of their beefier 8" subs @ 179.99 each and built the reccomended size ported enclosure and it sounded like garbage IMO The only music these subs could play decent were "bass boosted" songs on youtube and they still sounded sloppy as he heck..

He wasn't happy either so decided to buy a enclosure for them from SKAR it was garbage too and still didn't sound any better plus the enclosure was built poorly and falling apart the day it arrived..

He also hacked up his doors to fit two 8" Skar PA style looking woofers with SKAR bullet tweeters in a MTM arrangement driven by a Skar amps these were very harsh and sound bad.. zero midbass and distortion..

His original goal here was to put together a system that could out do what I was running at the time and he didn't even come close in output and especially SQ..

I was running nothing special.. A very budget setup if you ask me..
Morel Maximo 6 components running passive (from ebay when they were 88.00 shipped brand new 7 years ago)
Sony XM-10020 for frontstage (used and beat up no to mention very old) paid 75.00
JL 10w3v2 pair in a custom birch ported enclosure (bought used for 150.00 for the pair)
Zapco ST-1650 for the subs (249.99 brand new on ebay at the time)

He spent ALOT more on all the SKAR gear than I did for mine with pretty bad results..

He did no research before purchasing and only knew of the brand because his 16 year old son would show him youtube videos of guys rattling their cars apart with skar gear.. He was also impressed by the "fat surrounds" and huge magnet and figured they would destroy my 300 watt RMS subs..

I still stand by what I told him lol..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After reading all this it looks like maybe the toro tech or the jbl .
Anyone hear anything about audiopipe amps . Seen a 1000w for $150 on amazon

·
Listener of Music
3,591 Posts
If it matters my son is now rocking a Toro X2 that can push two 10" Eclipse (TC made) subs past their limits. Only been 3 days since the switch to them. For the last month or two it was running 3 "10 GRS subs at 1 ohm which it isn't rate to do. I did just because I wanted to know if it would handle it. And before that we had it on sub duty well within it's published limits for months.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If it matters my son is now rocking a Toro X2 that can push two 10" Eclipse (TC made) subs past their limits. Only been 3 days since the switch to them. For the last month or two it was running 3 "10 GRS subs at 1 ohm which it isn't rate to do. I did just because I wanted to know if it would handle it. And before that we had it on sub duty well within it's published limits for months.
Do you know what GRS subs? My brother in law just bought 4 of the 10SW-4 and wants me to build him a box for them. kinda curious how they will sound for 20.00 a pop.. These will be ran in his home though.

·
Registered
520 Posts
After reading all this it looks like maybe the toro tech or the jbl .
Anyone hear anything about audiopipe amps . Seen a 1000w for $150 on amazon
I thought I heard they're making knock off taramps stuff now days. I'll let you google that one.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
One of my good friends called me about a year or two ago asking what I thought about Skar audio, as he was soon to be building a system from the ground up (after years away from the hobby) I told him I'd pass and look for something better..

He thought I was crazy and ordered the stuff anyway.. He ordered a pair of their beefier 8" subs @ 179.99 each and built the reccomended size ported enclosure and it sounded like garbage IMO The only music these subs could play decent were "bass boosted" songs on youtube and they still sounded sloppy as he heck..

He wasn't happy either so decided to buy a enclosure for them from SKAR it was garbage too and still didn't sound any better plus the enclosure was built poorly and falling apart the day it arrived..

He also hacked up his doors to fit two 8" Skar PA style looking woofers with SKAR bullet tweeters in a MTM arrangement driven by a Skar amps these were very harsh and sound bad.. zero midbass and distortion..

His original goal here was to put together a system that could out do what I was running at the time and he didn't even come close in output and especially SQ..

I was running nothing special.. A very budget setup if you ask me..
Morel Maximo 6 components running passive (from ebay when they were 88.00 shipped brand new 7 years ago)
Sony XM-10020 for frontstage (used and beat up no to mention very old) paid 75.00
JL 10w3v2 pair in a custom birch ported enclosure (bought used for 150.00 for the pair)
Zapco ST-1650 for the subs (249.99 brand new on ebay at the time)

He spent ALOT more on all the SKAR gear than I did for mine with pretty bad results..

He did no research before purchasing and only knew of the brand because his 16 year old son would show him youtube videos of guys rattling their cars apart with skar gear.. He was also impressed by the "fat surrounds" and huge magnet and figured they would destroy my 300 watt RMS subs..

I still stand by what I told him lol..
I looked at there 8" subs, before I bought an 8" Sundown Audio, and the specs didn't look great to me. Not great at deep bass, so I passed.

On the other hand, my 18" Skar ZVX in my twin 15" passive radiator setup (built it myself) is the best sounding enclosure I've ever had.... Out of about 30 enclosures I've built....and I'm pretty confident that some of those later 30 enclosures were very well built.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Why not ? If you think you have a legit beef, why not tell us what exactly it is ? Otherwise like I said, Skar makes good stuff at a reasonable price.
Granted I'd pay 50% more if it were made in the USA !
As someone said the information is out there and on a LOT of forums. And all within recent years as well not just 8 years ago.This kind of stuff went on for a very long time and there was other issues as well that some of those forums don't cover like certain subwoofer issues.

Also you said 8" Sundown vs an 18". And if you don't think Sundown can beat Skar then you haven't looked at builds because Sundown can kick Skar's butt all day long. Your system your money. As far as their amps go they don't make them of course certain ones are good, but because of said owner I wouldn't give that guy a dollar to save my life. His one 2K mono-block did more then advertised but if you look at the guts it is the same as many other amplifiers out there. Even the Soundqubed cheaper 2K mono-block is just a upgraded version of it. I would give them money without an issue vs Skar. He did the damage and many car audio forums people won't touch it because of said issues vs Amazon kids or young kids who don't know any better. And no he wasn't on anything like you said he might be.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts