DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an idea:D

Imagine a boombox, mono.

I'll use a 3-way passive crossover, MX-33, Morel.

Biamped, it would be 2 ohms at around 125 Watts for a boombox

I have a 6" X 8" solar panel and 12 volt batter, trickle minder

I figured it would be easier to figure out a battery charger, at this point , than power supply. When you plug it in, it would only charge the battery that powers the boombox.

I've got an extra morel tweeter and midrange for that croissover, I just need a 9 inch midbass for a portable, clean sounding boombox that will work anywhere:)

So...how the hell would I do this?

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Today's solar panels can be made out of plastic, thin-film and flexible like mylar. Just a matter of time before we can coat a car w/ it.

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its a nice little panel. I can jump start a car in 20 minutes or so...once...not to say how dead the battery was...nevermind:(...*slinks away*

This amp is not only dead, its sold. I have lots of amps, still may be fun..

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no, but the battery is fairly large. Say 5 lbs, 3"X5"X5". 12V hobby battery...whatever that means.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do you know how many amps/watts the solar panels trickle? Generally something that size is around 6v +/-. You could use the panels to charge the battery, but generally from dead battery to someone usable is a couple hrs worth of charging. Nice idea though, I'd been tempted to put more of my stuff on panels, like cell/mp3/psp/lights. The more off the grid I can get, the better!

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
ive built 2 boomboxes in the last 2 years.

1 for louder with great sound, the other less loud but killer bass.

they both are way better then store bought, louder, better sound and run a long time (20 hours+?)

did 1 with a seperate sub and this amp

3 CHANNEL 2.1 Subwoofer 12V Volt Amplifier Car RV Boat - eBay Power Amplifiers, Amplifiers, Audio, Electronics. (end time 28-Apr-09 22:19:02 AEST)

another with a sonic impact 2 channel and fostex drivers.

for $150 in parts and a couple hours you get killer portable sound instead of the cheapest parts/sound a manufacturer can put into a $90 box. .

well worth building 1.

garden/parties/beach/work i use mine all the time.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts

they both are way better then store bought, louder, better sound and run a long time (20 hours+?)

3 CHANNEL 2.1 Subwoofer 12V Volt Amplifier Car RV Boat - eBay Power Amplifiers, Amplifiers, Audio, Electronics. (end time 28-Apr-09 22:19:02 AEST)

for $150 in parts and a couple hours you get killer portable sound instead of the cheapest parts/sound a manufacturer can put into a $90 box. .

well worth building 1.

·
Registered
151 Posts

well worth building 1.

Got pics and maybe a parts list??

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you know how many amps/watts the solar panels trickle? Generally something that size is around 6v +/-. You could use the panels to charge the battery, but generally from dead battery to someone usable is a couple hrs worth of charging. Nice idea though, I'd been tempted to put more of my stuff on panels, like cell/mp3/psp/lights. The more off the grid I can get, the better!

Well its a big battery:D I've ran temporary radios off of the inerter for full days of camping. I would suppose I didn't use more volts than what this thing can charge butI never knew becaue I didn't really suspect I drained the battery.

You bring up a very valid point though, for this venture, a class D would Ideal.

Does anybody see a need in a stereo boombox? I dunno how I missed this. The only thing I'm lacking is a trickle minder.

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

well worth building 1.

Were they battery powered?

And to clarify my other statement in where I used it in similar battery powered circumstance, it was computer speakers and mp3 player so WAY less of a draw than theis would be.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Were they battery powered?

And to clarify my other statement in where I used it in similar battery powered circumstance, it was computer speakers and mp3 player so WAY less of a draw than theis would be.
1.yes, a high capacity/quality $50 smallish 3x4x7 lead acid battery.

2.efficient speakers (90+db get loud off very little power)/any mp3 player player and a sonic impact amp or the one i posted above.

both of my boxes can play 50% louder and 80% cleaner then a store bought boombox, and up to 20 hours without a charge.

no need for solar, just charge overnight.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've been thinking about this idea too for a while.
the tough part is the cost of the solar panel.
If you can make the whole thing work off a 60 watt peak panel, you might have a chance at pulling off this one. Good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Gel cell battery will be a lot lighter. I have been mulling over the idea as well.

I think I'm going to make mine out of fiberglass and use an Ipod Nano as the source.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts