DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are new except for bench testing.. never been mounted or screwed in. Just another item in my car audio hoard. I've tested them on my workbench for about 20-30 minutes and other than that they are brand new..

For people who do not know. these are split coil. it is essentially XBL2 but in reverse... instead of a split magnetic gap these have a split voice coil... so they have alot of linear excursion.. these literally have more excursion than ANY 6.5/7" mid i have ever used no joke.

Whats the tradeoff? They are a bit less sensitive than some other similar drivers i have used.. but if you have 100 watts or more power then you can push them no problem, and the split coil design means the coils have alot of mass so they can take the extra power...

I would say these are best in a 3 way, as they are complete midbass monsters due to their insane amount of excurion.. i believe its 10mm ONE WAY! - so because they have the split coil design there are always tradeoffs... they are a bit less sensitive and if you wnt to use them in a 2 way i would say you want to cross them at 3khz max as they do not play as high as some other 6.5's but they have excurison that tops everything else so that is the trade off.

These are $160 plus shipping on FIs website plus a wait time while they are made. (i think i paid $175 shipped but if you live in a state with tax it might be more)

I will sell these for $120 all inclusive (I pay for shipping and paypal fees)

· Registered
2,423 Posts
Damn the price on these look nice. So do the drivers.
Whenever I see the leads on their own side it means some thought was put into it.
The leads being like that even out the weight they impose on the coil.very nice. It used to cost about 5 hundo to get stuff like these. Very nice.

· Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great midbass, had them in my last car. Decent extension higher too imo.
Yeah i never did any measuring i might have been wrong about them not playing very high.. when i tested them it was really just for function i was testing them on a cheap home stereo/surround CD player type deal just to make sure they worked not mounted or anything proper. They have some serious excursion though...

· Premium Member
2016 Mazda 6 GT
2,520 Posts
I’m not sure what I am going to do with them, but I had to have them.
Dude I’m starting a support group and you my friend are a prime candidate!!! Yes, pot calling kettle black!!!🤣

Reactions: SNCTMPL

· Registered
517 Posts
They weren’t supposed to be my mid bass, but I did end up installing them in my truck. I haven’t done any tuning to them other than setting xovers (80-300) and time alignment.
I have them paired with GB25’s in the dash and Morel MT450’s in the sails, with 150 watts each. On the sub side I have two GB12’s with 1000 watts each.

It sounds really good for not having any more tuning than it does. I was waiting on the tuning because I was going to switch them out with some 8” Dynaudio woofers. While I was waiting for adapters for them I came across a pair of JL zr800’s which is what I really wanted to begin with.

So last weekend I installed one of the ZR’s on the passenger side and everything sounded good so I buttoned it up and went and started on the drivers side. The zr for that side didn’t work so I took it out and put the Fi back in. Then in my disappointment, I ended up getting drunk and never switched the other one out.

So I have been driving around this week with one Fi and one ZR, and unless I run the balance all the way to one side or the other, I don’t really notice a difference. But if I do move the balance, the ZR clearly sounds better. Not sure that it’s fair to compare the Fi’s to the ZR’s, but that’s the only thing I have to compare it to.

Personally I am glad that I bought them and think they are a good buy for a $150, American made, carbon fiber coned woofer.
Eye Automotive tire Camera lens Digital camera Camera accessory
Plant Automotive tire Reflex camera Digital camera Camera lens
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Bag

· Registered
337 Posts
They weren’t supposed to be my mid bass, but I did end up installing them in my truck. I haven’t done any tuning to them other than setting xovers (80-300) and time alignment.
I have them paired with GB25’s in the dash and Morel MT450’s in the sails, with 150 watts each. On the sub side I have two GB12’s with 1000 watts each.

It sounds really good for not having any more tuning than it does. I was waiting on the tuning because I was going to switch them out with some 8” Dynaudio woofers. While I was waiting for adapters for them I came across a pair of JL zr800’s which is what I really wanted to begin with.

So last weekend I installed one of the ZR’s on the passenger side and everything sounded good so I buttoned it up and went and started on the drivers side. The zr for that side didn’t work so I took it out and put the Fi back in. Then in my disappointment, I ended up getting drunk and never switched the other one out.

So I have been driving around this week with one Fi and one ZR, and unless I run the balance all the way to one side or the other, I don’t really notice a difference. But if I do move the balance, the ZR clearly sounds better. Not sure that it’s fair to compare the Fi’s to the ZR’s, but that’s the only thing I have to compare it to.

Personally I am glad that I bought them and think they are a good buy for a $150, American made, carbon fiber coned woofer.
View attachment 315057 View attachment 315058 View attachment 315059
You want to sell the N.7s? I'd like to try them I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.