DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Selling a Victory Sonics 4 channel tube preamp. Great for car or home audio use. Very cool piece! If this doesn’t go anywhere I’ll keep it and use it in the garage.

$260 shipped, no trades.

36CE9516-6D84-4A31-80D2-CF57F7E8E62B.jpeg
92C1D4A3-82B3-4D12-9433-4B7EB22AE406.jpeg
3CF412CF-B727-4438-9B6B-1BDBE2E09CE9.jpeg
6B36B690-BA90-4052-80AC-399570D3D91E.jpeg
E7067D01-E2E3-4093-8282-924FD60F7617.jpeg
BE9296D2-8BFA-4E85-AAD4-01011CDDC6F9.jpeg
B5B976C4-93FF-4AD3-883C-07711BC516BE.jpeg

·
Banned
299 Posts
Curious. Did you not find it worth using in the ride?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a 4 channel JPL tube pre-amp as well. Demoed it several times in my system...and I couldn't tell the difference. Which is a testament to the tube pre-amp I guess, but I guess I don't have the golden ears.
dcfis, can you comment on what it brings to your sound ?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
What tubes did you use? I use many different nos tubes, they make all the difference. It brings a weight and dimension to the music. Yes it's distortion the good kind but it makes it sound alive to me.

Did you get rid of that silly circuit bass and treble enhancement that is turned on from jpl? It's those small blue slider switches, they should all be turned off also did you set the tube gain over halfway for 12ax7s? Doesn't seem like less than half gain really gets the grid to proper voltage

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
dcfis is correct about the gains!

Preston next time you try some tubes out (maybe buy this one!), be sure to turn the tube gains up so you can identify the ‘tube’ sound.

Tubes give you those even order distortions that studies have argued humans actually prefer.
It is generally summed up to it being less fatiguing even at higher volumes.

There are several ways to describe it. It’s not a simple tone adjustment or difference.

The sound maintains its full integrity crystal clear and sharp. Nothing is just added on top like your common ‘bass boost’ or effects of those types.

It’s as if the change is embedded into the source signal itself, whether detected immediately or gradually you’ll hear the entire frequency range takes on a ‘nature’ of pretty much pick 2 or 3:

“Sweetness”
“Fullness”
“Roundness”
“Slight Warmth”
“Clear Smoothness”
I like “Bloom”
“Pulp”
“Butter”
“Magic”
“Sparkle”
“Breathe”
“Life”
“Dimension”
Etc (relative to how you describe sound).

Different tubes and tube gain levels will give listeners different characters and intensities of the nature above.

Everything is subjective but I feel it can be said that the tube sound is akin to a what many people describe as a solid state Class A sound but with with an added dimension or element.

OP GLWS!

·
742 Posts
Someone should get this. It's a great unit. I did a mini-review on it 5-6 years ago. It's in the review section.

And Russ is a great seller, a true DIYMA OG like several of us here.

Reactions: DBlevel

·
Registered
94 Posts
What's the output voltage capabilities of this bad boy? Like 2VRMS? 4VRMS?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts