DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious, what SQ subwoofers are out there that can run at 4ohms, in a sealed box (1.4cu ft max), with 400watts of power? (I am not buying right now, so no need for links..). My preference is for a subwoofer with faster transients and good all around performance, rather than something that's meant to shine for SQL, hip hop, etc. The amplifier is PPI P900.4 (class D)

I have done a quick survey, and I am not that happy:

Peerless XLS 830500: Models ok, but one strange thing about it is that Tympany's web site has updated spec sheets that claim that the nominal impedance is 8ohms. Strange. I'd rather use a 4ohm subwoofer. Otherwise, it has good sensitivity and power handling for my needs. low qtc in 1cu ft box. Free air F3 is kind of high, but I think it doesn't matter in the car.

Peerless XXLS 835017: The subwoofer models very strange right of the bat. WinISD recommends a huge 2cu ft box. I change that to 1.5cu ft or so. Qtc jumps to over 0.8. The subwoofer has very high sensitivity (modeled), but won't handle more than 200watts RMS. Excursion at 20-40Hz is pretty badly controlled. Excursion looks better in 1-1.2cu ft box, but at this point Qtc is very high. Skip?

ScanSpeak Discovery Line 30W/4558T: My understanding is that this is a clone of Peerless XXLS above. T/S parameters are slightly different, but it models somewhat similar to Peerless, except for WinISD recommending something like a 1.8cu ft box, resulting in slightly better power handling and Qtc if you put it into 1.4cu ft box. Kind of pricey, but I'd take it over 835017 unless Peerless is on sale.

By the way, what's up with all of these $200-$250 Peerless subwoofers and their clones not having binding post or some kind of proper speaker terminal?

Image Dynamics IDQ v3: Models fine, etc. 2ohm DVC model seems nice fit. I did want to try something newer and more modern than the IDQ seeing how other subwoofers have a much better inductance profile, possibly resulting in better transients. I could be wrong though.

JBL W12GTI: This is what I would love to have, but DVC 6ohm voice coils mean that I can wire it for 3ohms. I am worried about the health of the amplifier in bridged mode. I can't add another amplifier. Skip?

Sundown SA-12, Dayton HO12: Geared towards ported box use. Low sensitivity.. but reviews are good, but not every review of Dayton was great. Skip?

Dayton Reference HF (12 inch 4ohm): WinISD recommends sealed box much bigger than 2.5cu ft, but 1.5cu ft results in qtc of 0.809 and better power handling than Peerless XXLS (perhaps 14mm of xmax vs 12 helps). Not sure about this one. Hardly anyone has put this one in a car.

JL Audio subs: no way to wire W6 or W7 for 4ohms.

Morel Ultimo/Ultimate: Expensive, heavy power demand.

The 12 inch Peerless XXLS and Dayton subs do not model great for my needs. There is no middle ground. The company hasn't thought about people who'd want to use them in a 1-1.2cu ft sealed box IMO. If going by WinISD model alone, it seems like IDQ v3 is the best of bunch.

Maybe I should skip the idea of running a subwoofer off a 4-channel amplifier, and buy a 5-channel, something like PPI P900.5 (sub channel is good for 440watts at 2ohm), then this would allow connecting 2ohm and 3ohm subwoofers, making finding what I need easier.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I feel like I say this a lot without anyone giving it a look, but the CDT Audio HD line of subs would probably suit your needs very well. I use the HD1200CF 12" sub in a 0.88 cubic foot box filled with polyfill. The only reason I think I would switch is out of curiosity rather than dissatisfaction.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
JBL W12Gti - I wouldn't look past it...

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JBL W12Gti - I wouldn't look past it...
Very interesting sub. What do you like about it? Like I have said, it requires a 3ohm stable amplifier.. I was hoping that I could get by with just 3 devices in my trunk (front stage amp, rear fill+substage amplifier, a processor.. and they all should preferably be compact). I was looking into PPI P900.4 amplifier which seems nice (cheap, compact, rated for 450watts in bridged mode 14.4V, but benches around 370watts using more realistic voltage).

·
Registered
78 Posts
have you looked into the TC Sounds Epic 12? On sale right now and they don't need a ton of power to sound good, i used one with 400 watts before and it had plenty of ouput.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have been running a JL 12W3V3-4 for about a week and a half now- fed w/ 500 watts from the 5th channel of the JL HD900/5.

I have it in a sonic 1.8 ported enclosure that appeared to be designed for the driver. I lined the walls with thick 1-1/2" polyfill batting (fabric store, sold as crib bumper padding), doubled the thickness on the wall behind the driver and was careful not to block the port slot entrance. I did the batting to mainly lower the tuned port frequency to ~ 25hz and to head off any potential muddiness associated with some ported enclosures.

I replaced my previous "space saver" sub, an Alpine SWR 8" w/ dual voice coils that has received very good reviews.

The JL must be really efficient because I have reduced the subwoofer level from "zero" running the alpine to -6 running the JL and it still has more output.
The sound quality was exactly what I was hoping for- very tight, and quite excellent. Probably triple the SQ vs. the alpine SWR- it literally blows it away.
Just tight deep bass that blends well with the complete system-

It is likely more output than I need and plan on making a much smaller sealed enclosure along the lines of your original spec, possibly even smaller using the ~40% enclosure size volume gain when using polyfill.

Based on my observations listening to the current setup, the smaller sealed box should be a low risk proposition and will save lots of cargo volume, especially when I use my enclosed storage area below the main cargo deck.

Regardless, I'm liking what I hear now and recommend this as a potential option for you.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I have been running a JL 12W3V3-4 for about a week and a half now- fed w/ 500 watts from the 5th channel of the JL HD900/5.

I replaced my previous "space saver" sub, an Alpine SWR 8" w/ dual voice coils that has received very good reviews.

The JL must be really efficient because I have reduced the subwoofer level from "zero" running the alpine to -6 running the JL and it still has more output.
compare apples to apples, not oranges. grab a jl 8w3v3 and compare it to the alpine, not the 12" version.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts