DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I found this on another site...so dont bash me on this...just thought it would make for some interesting reading:

"not too terribly much new. earthquake has some massive subs out (more massive than before). up there almost like mtx's jackhammer. majority of the demo cars sounded like crap. the mids and highs sound sucked. there were some good one's. dls, planet audio, pegasus, cdt, earthquake, polk, diamond, and a couple others.

i have some pics of a couple asian build houses line up. you can look their parts and name about 98% of the brands on the market.

here's some dirt, and i had started hearing some of this before c.e.s.. but i heard it now from a couple more companies. these are all similar comments of other companies pissed off at your guys's favorite brand. i've heard it from so many different sources, figured i'd pass on the industry buzz.

"we don't want pics of our sub or it to get in the hands of RE. it'll end up on their bench, they'll reverse engineer it, and copy it."

"we don't want to come up with any new baskets or anything else right now. we'll have all the hard work and $ invested, and in 2 months it'll be copy cat'd out of china."

"once our sub came off of design protection, RE copied it and just changed the voice coil configureation."

"we have a new sub coming out. we didn't want the prototype on the floor, because when we release it in 2 months, we don't want RE to have their copy of it coming out at the same time."

i don't know what those guys have done, but there are some irritated people out there. and these aren't one's to just make a comment like that because what re is doing in the lanes. because they have always given respect to other brands where respect is due.

was talking with the tru tech guys, when some foriegn engineers came by. they talked with john fairchild. the man himself (been doing car audio since the 50's). i couldn't believe he was telling them how and what to build his amps. it was obvious to me, they were there purely to try and copy his amps."

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Not so sure about that, just talked to John Yi at CES and he specifically mentioned that all amps were built in-house now.

·
Registered
531 Posts
squeak9798 said:
And there's their subsidiary company for the Korean market......err, I mean, their parts supplier.......wait, I mean that company that sells cheap Tru knock-offs and has "typical asian bling".

what they do that tru doesn't....

is sell the pixie SQ dust separately.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Derek said:
what they do that tru doesn't....

is sell the pixie SQ dust separately.
So the Tru amps that came with the Abyss label shadow.... did they have the pixie dust or not?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thoraudio said:
So the Tru amps that came with the Abyss label shadow.... did they have the pixie dust or not?
Do you have any pics of that? That would be funny to see... :rolleyes:

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I tried to pickup a few Abyss amps... they're not cheap :(

·
Registered
329 Posts
Not to mention that TRU was coming out with a high-end HU, and oh by the way... Abyss already has one. Hmm... and it happens to fit the description that Yi told me face to face.

My buddy's wife, who's a linguist for the Army, spoke with Abyss, and they told her they ship to TRU and that TRU adds their badge. That's straight from Abyss... a few months ago.

You can choose who to believe.

If you've been to TRU, you'll easily see there's no room to build the amps. Obviously no insertion machines, of which the T-series amps are made with. They may "assemble" the case and circuit boards for the coppers. Which are still being "made" elsewhere. Abyss specifically said that TRU makes some changes to the copper circuit boards.

Again, just passing along direct information for you to take as you will.

I will leave my personal opinion of Yi out of this. ;)

Who knows, maybe they have a larger space now, are milling the cases, bought insertion machines and are actually "building" the amps now.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So what companies ACTUALLY build the amps in the US? Is US Amps the only ones? Or am I wrong about them now too?

·
Registered
483 Posts
AzGrower said:
So what companies ACTUALLY build the amps in the US? Is US Amps the only ones? Or am I wrong about them now too?
RF's Power line is still made in the US.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thoraudio said:
RF's Power line is still made in the US.
Yeah and built in Arizona too...woo hoo!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts