DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Some more Peerless 8" xls questions

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  MIAaron 
#1 ·
I'm going 3 way and hoping to eliminate the need for a dedicated sub by going with 8's in the doors. Right now I'm thinking about the peerless xls. I thought I saw someone claim 18mm, and I went to verify it. In my search for the xmax I noticed madisound lists it as the 850491, but DIYMA has it listed as the 830491. I noticed the 850491 only lists a 10mm peak xmax. If so, I need to look elsewhere if I want to go subless. Is the 830491 that different?

Also, I know a few of you have tried it in your doors. Which driver do you have, and what was your opinion of the low end?

Thx

#3 ·
I don't know about the XLS, but I tried going subless with Dayton RS 8's in my doors. They go low enough - I have them down to 33Hz, but nowhere near the impact of a sub. You may not mind though anyways, I don't really have any desire for a sub anytime soon.

-aaron

#5 ·
Parked with the engine running...
I got the XLS to sound very good from 170hz & below... And mine are behind the stock door panels with 150watts each.

I think with 300watts on tap & the speakers in front of the door panels they would be enough for me...

The only problem I see would be road noise... I don't think when you factor in road noise that the bass will be heard all that great below 40hz...

my .02

#7 ·
300Z said:
That's good news for me as i plan on getting the Dayton RS 8's too... this should be interesting... :cool:
Btw, how much power do you have on yours?

Leo
I bridged my Xtant 404M, which is rated 200W@4ohm, but according to what someone on ECA benched theirs it's a little over 100W@8ohm for each side. I might actually throw 2 channels of the ARC 4150 to them to see what I lose, as that'd cut wattage in half basically.

They sit in my largish, deadened Accord coupe doors. They cover the lows damn fine, but theyre not pushing SPL like my girlfriend's BOOM mobile or anything like that. It's all relative I suppose. Like I said, I'm very happy with them and don't really see a need for a sub actually, but it wasn't quite like what I envisioned.

-aaron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.