1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Black line = Peerless XXLS 830845 in a 1cf sealed box
Blue line = Ascendant Audio Atlas 12" free-air
Red line = Peerless XXLS 830845 free-air

XXLS is about ~5db more efficient than the Atlas 12". That's equivalent to almost 4x the power required for the Atlas to achieve the same SPL as the XXLS. Of course the XXLS needs a much larger sealed enclosure for the same QTC, but it looks and sounds fine in a 1cf box.

Also notice the upper end response of the XXLS is relatively flat, while the Atlas has a downward sloping response at 70hz.

·
Registered
415 Posts
looks like the XXLS is a pretty hot sub..! 8)

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$154 each.

Would be a great sub for free-air... flat response from 30hz to 300hz.

·
Registered
164 Posts
nice one cheap! no idea they were so good IB. Hows it distortion wise? of course, i would love to hear your subjective opinions as well

Also, is the peerless really inefficient in free air or did you bump the FR curve down a bit to make it easier to see?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
blackreplica said:
nice one cheap! no idea they were so good IB. Hows it distortion wise? of course, i would love to hear your subjective opinions as well

Also, is the peerless really inefficient in free air or did you bump the FR curve down a bit to make it easier to see?
Finally feel confident enough to post a reply. I love this sub... alot!

It's very efficient, smooth, and musical. The top end is very transparent. I use no crossover whatsoever and it blends effortlessly into my frontstage. Overall character is not as laser fast, dry, or accurate as the new super subs with 30mm xmax etc., but I feel more musical and the top end response is excellent. By musical I mean it had a tad bit more "warmth" to it that really made it sound smooth and easy... but not so much it sounded bloated or muddy... whereas I felt other subs could be too "dry" and overly tight. What I really enjoy is how easy this sub was to integrate due to the top end response and low distortion, the noticeably higher efficiency, the construction is top notch, and it had plenty of output for me (enough to feel in your back and rattle mirrors).

·
Registered
25 Posts
So what was the power to each. You mention the XXLS being more efficient yet it shows lower efficiency free air. Also, is this a 4ohm or 8ohm model?

Can you comment its sound vs the TC2+?

Things like this are what have peaked my interest on this forum. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
just bumping the thread as im now interested and wonder who can compare the tc2+ to the xxls?

and hey npdang

on madisound it says 62 liters?? how did you get it to perform in such a small enclosure?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fugyaself said:
So what was the power to each. You mention the XXLS being more efficient yet it shows lower efficiency free air. Also, is this a 4ohm or 8ohm model?

Can you comment its sound vs the TC2+?

Things like this are what have peaked my interest on this forum. Keep up the good work.
I should mention that the above graph does not show the true sensitivity of the subs. I just stacked the plots on top of each other to make it easier for comparison sake.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
newtitan said:
just bumping the thread as im now interested and wonder who can compare the tc2+ to the xxls?

and hey npdang

on madisound it says 62 liters?? how did you get it to perform in such a small enclosure?
Best enclosure is application dependent. For car use, (at least my car) 1cf yields the perfect response for my listening taste. See above graph, that is the actual anechoic response.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts