DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am considering starting a project but have a few concerns and questions before I start

The Plan:
Create a self contained stereo unit in a a single enclosure from an old car stereo system to use as a home stereo and as an amplified speaker for mixing with (turntables) I want to be able to plug in to ac and work

The Components I already have:
2 x 12" Rockford Fosgate Punch p3 2004 series 500w rms subs
2 x 5-1/4" Infinity reference 45w rms 2-way speakers
2 x 4"x6" Alpine type S 45w rms 2-way speakers
1 x P500-2 Rockford Fosgate 500w 2channel amp
Pioneer 25w per channel head unit (don't have model at the moment)

Questions:

What is a proper bass to mids power ratio? 1000w vs under200 seems a huge difference. When I bought the system in 05 I just wanted it to thump.

Do I need one or two 2channel amps to run the four speakers at the correct wattage?

The calculator says my subs are right on the line between sealed and either on the sealed side, but I always wanted them ported is this a bad idea?

Should each sub be in its own separate space with an internal divider as I had in my sealed box in my car or would a shared space be better? Also the speakers should have separate or shared spaces?

How many amps would a dc converter I get need to support?

If I did a ported box with separate section for each sub would it be wise to tune them to different frequencies or the same?

I know this is a lot of questions, any and all answers and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
So I am considering starting a project but have a few concerns and questions before I start

The Plan:
Create a self contained stereo unit in a a single enclosure from an old car stereo system to use as a home stereo and as an amplified speaker for mixing with (turntables) I want to be able to plug in to ac and work
What? You mean take all your car audio and make a home speaker cabinet for all those speakers?

The Components I already have:
2 x 12" Rockford Fosgate Punch p3 2004 series 500w rms subs
2 x 5-1/4" Infinity reference 45w rms 2-way speakers
2 x 4"x6" Alpine type S 45w rms 2-way speakers
1 x P500-2 Rockford Fosgate 500w 2channel amp
Pioneer 25w per channel head unit (don't have model at the moment)

Questions:

What is a proper bass to mids power ratio? 1000w vs under200 seems a huge difference. When I bought the system in 05 I just wanted it to thump.
That depends. What do you want it to sound like? IMO, make it a ported box and supply the least power that suits your needs.

Do I need one or two 2channel amps to run the four speakers at the correct wattage?
So many variables. You could wire the 2 left side speakers together for a 2 ohm load and the same for the right. Your amp can handle it but would 4-channels be better, hard to say.

The calculator says my subs are right on the line between sealed and either on the sealed side, but I always wanted them ported is this a bad idea?
Ported.

Should each sub be in its own separate space with an internal divider as I had in my sealed box in my car or would a shared space be better? Also the speakers should have separate or shared spaces?
Doesn't really matter. Just as long as the box is sturdy it should be fine.

How many amps would a dc converter I get need to support?
Watts / Volts = Amps. Then times amps by 1.2 to add for actual amp efficiency. 80+ is a good idea.

If I did a ported box with separate section for each sub would it be wise to tune them to different frequencies or the same?
Always the same.

I know this is a lot of questions, any and all answers and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Seriously I think you need to do some more reading and thinking if this is the best way to do what you are trying to do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts