DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, been a while. Use to be pretty active on here back in the day but now I’m back seeking some assistance.

I have a modest little system in my 2005 corolla, and older kenwood excelon single din, audison voce av k6 components upfront, 10” arc audio black sub, all powered by a single JL HD600/4. Two channels run the fronts, rear channels bridged on the sub.

past few weeks I’ve run into an issue where my passengers side(right side) mid starts distorting early, and it seems to be simply volume related. At volume 20 on my HU all is well. Soon as I increase volume to say 22+ The mid starts to scream at me and fall apart. I regularly played this system above volume 22 and had no issues for years. I get a scratchy sound almost like a bad coil but to trouble shoot I’ve swapped out that mid for a spare one I had, same exact issue. I swapped crossovers left to right, same issue. I’ve swapped channel outputs on the amp and the issue still stayed on the passenger side. I swapped the inputs into the amp and still the same issue on the passenger side.

I guess all this leaves is wiring? Which I don’t understand how wiring could cause this issue. When I installed everything 2+ years ago I ran fresh speaker wire upfront and into the doors. Crossovers are mounted within the cabin. Any ideas on what my issue could be?

Thanks

·
Registered
452 Posts
CHeck speaker wiring for a short to ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Member Emeritus - RIP
5,176 Posts
You did a great job tracking stuff down so far. Also check the condition of your passenger side crossover. Maybe even swap Left & Right to see what happens...

Ge0

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You did a great job tracking stuff down so far. Also check the condition of your passenger side crossover. Maybe even swap Left & Right to see what happens...

Ge0
I swapped the crossovers and the issue stayed on the passenger side still. At this point I think it’s wiring but if something was shorting out wouldn’t that issue be present at all volume levels?

·
Member Emeritus - RIP
5,176 Posts
I swapped the crossovers and the issue stayed on the passenger side still. At this point I think it’s wiring but if something was shorting out wouldn’t that issue be present at all volume levels?
You would think...

How about the way the drivers are mounted. Could something be vibrating / buzzing at higher volume? Like maybe the speakers cone hitting the inside of the door?

Ge0

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You would think...

How about the way the drivers are mounted. Could something be vibrating / buzzing at higher volume? Like maybe the speakers cone hitting the inside of the door?

Ge0
I was thinking maybe something could be buzzing? It definitely possible but it doesn’t matter what type of music, vocals really seem to fall apart. Doesn’t only happen with mid bass heavy songs

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a wiring issue. And it was volume dependent just like yours. I replaced speakers and I cut the wire too short and I had to add some length to it, which I did with some male female wire connectors (stupid, but I was trying to work with the factory adaptors). Long story short when I added the connectors the wire was shoved way too far in and was exposed within the female connector such that the male connector could hit the exposed wire on the other side when connected. I don’t know why the signal having two paths to traverse to the speaker (through the connectors vs connector to wire strands) caused the issue (or even if that was it), but what I do know is that replacing that connection with a butt connector fixed the issue.

·
Registered
452 Posts
CHeck speaker wiring for a short to ground.

Right
Or check for continuity between +& - speaker wires
I’m sayin!

Reactions: tgotovac

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a wiring issue. And it was volume dependent just like yours. I replaced speakers and I cut the wire too short and I had to add some length to it, which I did with some male female wire connectors (stupid, but I was trying to work with the factory adaptors). Long story short when I added the connectors the wire was shoved way too far in and was exposed within the female connector such that the male connector could hit the exposed wire on the other side when connected. I don’t know why the signal having two paths to traverse to the speaker (through the connectors vs connector to wire strands) caused the issue (or even if that was it), but what I do know is that replacing that connection with a butt connector fixed the issue.

Thank you for this input! I guess my next line for troubleshooting will be to replace the wire from the crossover to the mid which is ran into the door. After that only other wiring really would be from amp to crossover which I can also easily replace. I’ll have to give this a go this week and hopefully that’s it!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right
Or check for continuity between +& - speaker wires
I’m sayin!

This is a great idea also. Didn’t think of this. Thank you!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thank you for this input! I guess my next line for troubleshooting will be to replace the wire from the crossover to the mid which is ran into the door. After that only other wiring really would be from amp to crossover which I can also easily replace. I’ll have to give this a go this week and hopefully that’s it!
Do you have a multimeter? If not, buy one before random “repairs”.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have a multimeter? If not, buy one before random “repairs”.

I do have a good multimeter yes! As you can see in my sig I went pretty far at one point with the one system and a multimeter was definitely used during that install lol!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Also, I had similar issue after running wire thru door boot.
The hinge mechanism inside (hidden) was pinching the wires.
Found via multimeter

Reactions: tgotovac

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, I had similar issue after running wire thru door boot.
The hinge mechanism inside (hidden) was pinching the wires.
Found via multimeter

Thank you. I’m starting to think this may be the issue, the wire inside the door may be bad. I will have to inspect that ASAP and report back

·
Premium Member
7,487 Posts
Maybe swap speakers to the other side?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pulled a new wire into the door. Same problem. Old wire looked fine. I’m not going to run a line from my amp to my crossover. This better be it!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
New line ran over the seats from amp to crossover. Same issue. Swapped left and right output from the amp again. Same issue. Directly from amp to mid, bypassing crossover. Same issue. I’m starting to think my “spare” mid I swapped in is bad. Damn

1 - 20 of 26 Posts