DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting 2 10" Madisound Sub's (from hot deals section) behind the seat in my Crew Cab Silverado Classic. I have just under 3 cubic feet to glass in. Anyway I am going to buy an amp to drive these. I am lusting after the Clarion DPX 11551. This would blow my subs in no time. Really the Clarion DPX 1851 is enough and possibly more than I need. But I can't get over the fact that for just $70 more I could have a built in fan and more power. So to summarize.

DPX 11551 - 1500 watts, fan cooled, $219, too much power

DPX 1851 - 850 watts, no-fan, $149, sensible

I am planning on getting the DPX 11551. Screw common sense. :D

In all seriousness. Am I making a mistake? Is there anyone with the voice of reason that could help me justify the 11551?

·
Registered
726 Posts
If you can afford it, go ahead. Nothing wrong with having more power than you need, because you never know, you may sometimes.
$70 isn't that much of a difference of almost 1.5-2 times the power. I mean you can easily blow $70 in a bar on Friday or something.

There's no reason to blow your subs, just set the gain and levels appropriately.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Nothing wrong with going with more power than you "need". I doubt you'll blow your subs. Just keep the gains low/reasonable.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
buy the cheaper amp and spend the left over monies on an amp on your front speakers.
1500 watts on your subs and hu power on your fronts is silly.

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
I am putting 2 10" Madisound Sub's (from hot deals section) behind the seat in my Crew Cab Silverado Classic. I have just under 3 cubic feet to glass in. But I can't get over the fact that for just $70 more I could have a built in fan and more power. So to summarize.

:D

In all seriousness. Am I making a mistake? Is there anyone with the voice of reason that could help me justify the 11551?
You are acing it ! ;)

purrfect :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just went out to buy the DPX11551 on Crutchfield and it didn't show up. I tried the old link and it took me to the remote knob instead of the amp. He who hesitates:(

Anyway, I kept trying and finally it popped up, but the price is now $199. It was dropped again. They only let me use one discount code, but I wasn't waiting any longer. I've got an 11551 coming my way. (My wife is gonna sh!t).:laugh:

Thanks for the feed back. Now all I have left is head unit, wire, and deadener to get.

·
Registered
587 Posts

DPX 1851 - 850 watts, no-fan, $149, sensible

I am planning on getting the DPX 11551. Screw common sense. :D

Just so you know, the 1851 sure does have a fan:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/802265-post193.html

Don't forget to use the coupon code! And just buy the bigger one, you can never have too much headroom.

-Cliff

·
Registered
816 Posts
buy the cheaper amp and spend the left over monies on an amp on your front speakers.
1500 watts on your subs and hu power on your fronts is silly.
+100000000

>^..^<

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just went out to buy the DPX11551 on Crutchfield and it didn't show up. I tried the old link and it took me to the remote knob instead of the amp. He who hesitates:(

Anyway, I kept trying and finally it popped up, but the price is now $199. It was dropped again. They only let me use one discount code, but I wasn't waiting any longer. I've got an 11551 coming my way. (My wife is gonna sh!t).:laugh:
now you'll have the amp you want AND extra bar money

1 - 11 of 11 Posts