DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So it's been a stressful day today; the gain on my amps been quite high for some time from my old head unit.
I went to lower it so i can take advantage of the volume. Anyhow, turn the amp down a bit but I went to press play and for some reason the head unit shot up its volume to max; honesty it was scary loud.
I quickly turned it off to then discover my speakers sound horribly distorted when i turned it back on at a lower volume. They're distorted, bass non existent and theyre turning off and on.
I took my door cards off and noticed no blows or tears all look intact, my amp is a kenwood KAC PS704EX and has a protection mode too, but i double checked its fuses and they were fine. My Stereo is a Sony XAV AV3005DB with preouts.
Any ideas what this could be? I didnt have chance to take speakers out of the doors to examine the back due to the really bad weather, but the front looked perfect.
What shall I inspect first?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Looks like you might need a brw head unit. I would unplug your RCA from the radio and turn it back in. See if the head unit goes back to max volume. If it doesn't. Turn it off. Reconnect RCA and turn the unit on. Just make sure it's in stand by so it won't play anything crazy in case it's at full max again.
Go from there...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like you might need a brw head unit. I would unplug your RCA from the radio and turn it back in. See if the head unit goes back to max volume. If it doesn't. Turn it off. Reconnect RCA and turn the unit on. Just make sure it's in stand by so it won't play anything crazy in case it's at full max again.
Go from there...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
hellp, thanks for the reply. I fiddled with the RCAS at the amp to check if it was a channel that was dodgy, would doing it at the head unit have a chance to fix the new distortion sound coming from the speakers? I would've thought it would be the amp being damaged internally (but its not in protection mode)

·
Registered
920 Posts
Prior to doing anything, Drop your amp gains to minimum. This way if the head unit ramps up to Max again, you wont damage anything downstream. Turn head unit back on, and hit the factory reset.
Now you need to start over with setting gains, and hope your speakers aren't toasted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prior to doing anything, Drop your amp gains to minimum. This way if the head unit ramps up to Max again, you wont damage anything downstream. Turn head unit back on, and hit the factory reset.
Now you need to start over with setting gains, and hope your speakers aren't toasted.
Hi, thanks for the reply.
I tried factory retesting the head unit:(, i forgot to mention 1 out of 4 speakers sound absolutely fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.