DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UK forum member here. I'm sick of nothing of interest being available apart from overpriced JL Audio products, which the U.S. market pays peanuts for. after that it's mainly the usual mob, Pioneer, Vibe, InPhase, Sony, Alpine etc. there's little or no HAT products in the UK, and i want ot try some subs, DC, Sundown, Addictive Audio etc.

Question: Who are sonicelectronix and woofersetc actually authorised (authroized) dealers for? Can anyone give me a quick list.

I'm heard that woofersetc are not authrois(z)ed dealers for Morel or JL??? But what brands are they authroized for please?

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Not a whole lot of brands believe it or not. How they get away with some of the sales is quite the question. :confused: I would check the manufacturer's website that you are interested in for a list of dealers. Most US consumers will buy from just about anywhere to save a buck as long as it's not something too valuable where going without an original warranty is not an option.

Sonixelectronics will state on the product's page whether they are authorized or not. They claim to warranty in house for items they are not. Still I have went back to a particular manufacturer's site for proof regardless of claims.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I agree with Bayboy's suggestion..check the manufacturer's website under Dealer Locator. Believe it or not, but people do lie on the internet :eek: Sonixelectronix is no different.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I understand, it's the same in the UK> As i run fakeheadphones.com i can't believe i'm asking thsi, however from a few phonecalls to UK stores, the problem seems to be an ever growing pressure from ... 'Authorised UK distributors' to sell, sell, sell, to quite ridiculous amounts .. someone quote that one brand wanted £10,000 sold every month. the store in question claimed that 2.5-3k per month ... but 10k! So they choose to buy from a mainland europe distirbutor. no doubt it works out cheaper as well.

away from car audio, I've heard the same pushy sales tagets from the likes of Bose, so i understand the issue.

As i do run fakeheadphones, my only concern of course is if the items are genuine? Dynaudiuo, Morel, DLS, have warnings of countefiets. can't find anything on online JL dealers??

·
Registered
696 Posts
If you go on their eBay store page it actually says what items they are autborized for same goes for wooferetc. Not your question but I've ordered from both for years without any issues but never needed to file a warranty claim. People that but ms8's and had to send them back have said it wasn't a problem.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
322 Posts
Both of those sites are completely fine to buy from. I wouldn't worry much about the authorized dealer thing either. If it was actually important to the OEMs to only sell through authorized dealers they would stop it (regardless of the whining we hear about how they can't stop it). The reality is that if you got a DEI suit alone in a room he's tell you that they love the unauthorized big volume places.

OTOH whatever tiny number of smaller companies who still take reputation seriously there are left hate it and do a good job avoiding it.

Not to mention...the OP is in the UK. Unless your'e spending large $$ on big $$ gear it won't be worth it for you to ship stuff for warranty service anyway even if they _were_ going to deny it.

Go for it.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Both of those sites are completely fine to buy from. I wouldn't worry much about the authorized dealer thing either. If it was actually important to the OEMs to only sell through authorized dealers they would stop it (regardless of the whining we hear about how they can't stop it). The reality is that if you got a DEI suit alone in a room he's tell you that they love the unauthorized big volume places.

OTOH whatever tiny number of smaller companies who still take reputation seriously there are left hate it and do a good job avoiding it.

Not to mention...the OP is in the UK. Unless your'e spending large $$ on big $$ gear it won't be worth it for you to ship stuff for warranty service anyway even if they _were_ going to deny it.

Go for it.
Like I said before, there's nothing of real interest in the UK that's why people continue to buy the usual rubbish. And the stuff we do have is so overpriced due to various reasons.

the JL C3 convertable speakers I can save a lot of money even taking into account the £50 cost of getting stung by Royla Mail customs .. i'm still saving. As for the JL C5 (which I own) I can save inexcess of £100 taking into account the £50 customs charge.

And about the customs charge it was £50 because i had several pairs of headphones. previously it was £26, but I only got caught twice, and once at £50. considering all the gear I get from abroad, getting caught 3 times in the last 5 years isn't bad.

Again i find info on authorised dealers to be sketchy. JL used to have a list of online dealers, i can't find it anymore!!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
They cannot legally stop it. Period. First Sale Doctrine, baby.

I have no idea why people come on here and argue that choice is against the consumer.

THIS. IS. CAPITALISM.

Authorized dealer setups are just scams designed to control market prices. It's price fixing. Period.

I may buy from an authorized dealer or I may not. That's my choice to make as a consumer. Neither way is going to kill the car audio market.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
They cannot legally stop it. Period. First Sale Doctrine, baby.

I have no idea why people come on here and argue that choice is against the consumer.

THIS. IS. CAPITALISM.

Authorized dealer setups are just scams designed to control market prices. It's price fixing. Period.

I may buy from an authorized dealer or I may not. That's my choice to make as a consumer. Neither way is going to kill the car audio market.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think there may be an un-official relationship.
Have a truck load of last years models?
Have a few pallets of factory blemished?
Need some quick cash flow and have pallets of product setting?
Etc.
Who else are you going to call?

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I've bought a good bit of stuff from Sonic.Eletronix.com and have had great results. Haven't bought anything from Woofersetc.com just because they seem a bit high.....

·
Registered
321 Posts
What brand are you looking for in Britain?

There are distributors for most brands. Just a lot of them haven't done anything with their distribution contracts, so instead of selling them to every shop, you need to know who the person is to contact.

Also I would recommend against buying new from America. You are looking at roughly 9% sales tax and then 20% VAT onto everything (as any respectable company should value the items correctly,) plus parcel force likes to take a bit more for their pocket when they bring it through customs. So for instance your $500 amplifier is quickly costing $750 by the time it reaches Britain, and you have no warranty to boot. Far better to buy from the EU where there will be no tax, far cheaper shipping and a 2 year warranty, if you can't get it in Britain.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
What brand are you looking for in Britain?

There are distributors for most brands. Just a lot of them haven't done anything with their distribution contracts, so instead of selling them to every shop, you need to know who the person is to contact.

Also I would recommend against buying new from America. You are looking at roughly 9% sales tax and then 20% VAT onto everything (as any respectable company should value the items correctly,) plus parcel force likes to take a bit more for their pocket when they bring it through customs. So for instance your $500 amplifier is quickly costing $750 by the time it reaches Britain, and you have no warranty to boot. Far better to buy from the EU where there will be no tax, far cheaper shipping and a 2 year warranty, if you can't get it in Britain.
It's more a matter of stuff that doesn't sell over here. But on the price saving thing for expamle

JL Audio C3 525 speakers UK Price £299

JL Audio UK - JLC3-525

from the U.S. (via ebay) £154.54 +£33.75 shipping. = £188.29

jl audio c3 | eBay

take into account that Parcel Force stings me £50 for customs charge, i'm still saving £60+ ($90-95)

JL Audio C5 525 which i have a pair of UK Price £399

JL Audio UK - C5-525x

Sonicelectronix: 180.30 +£33.26 shipping = £210. 56

again take into consideration £50 for customs charge (assuming one gets caught out which doesn't alway happen) £50

Total £260.56 a saving of nearly £140

Morel speakers you mught save a bit of money, Morel subwoofers, you'll save a lot of money.

Morel Ultimo UK Price ... I've been quoted around £700(plus) +VAT +Shipping. 360designs has them at £749, but i assume that doesn't include VAT or shipping, So you're looking at £900.

Morel Ultimo 12 12 30cm Sub Woofer

Sonicelectronix: 450.82 Postage:+£70.81 = £521.63

+ £50 customs charge (again assuming one gets caught out)

= £571.63 saving well over (taking into account UK VAT) £150+ and that's going on the hope that I can get a the Ultimo 12 for £700. on the worst case senario you're saving £230.

IF it was £10-20 here or there, and one ould actually get the speakerrs in the UK then you'd say OK. but HAT seems to be in limited supply, and I'd like to try something other than an 8" from Alpine or JL Audio or Focal.

I'd love to try a HAT 8 or 10sub, plus the new Mirus speakers. Can't get them for love nor money over here.

I'll Look at the EU option, but for the most part I've not found any decent price saving.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It's more a matter of stuff that doesn't sell over here. But on the price saving thing for expamle

JL Audio C3 525 speakers UK Price £299

JL Audio UK - JLC3-525

from the U.S. (via ebay) £154.54 +£33.75 shipping. = £188.29

jl audio c3 | eBay

take into account that Parcel Force stings me £50 for customs charge, i'm still saving £60+ ($90-95)

JL Audio C5 525 which i have a pair of UK Price £399

JL Audio UK - C5-525x

Sonicelectronix: 180.30 +£33.26 shipping = £210. 56

again take into consideration £50 for customs charge (assuming one gets caught out which doesn't alway happen) £50

Total £260.56 a saving of nearly £140

Morel speakers you mught save a bit of money, Morel subwoofers, you'll save a lot of money.

Morel Ultimo UK Price ... I've been quoted around £700(plus) +VAT +Shipping. 360designs has them at £749, but i assume that doesn't include VAT or shipping, So you're looking at £900.

Morel Ultimo 12 12 30cm Sub Woofer

Sonicelectronix: 450.82 Postage:+£70.81 = £521.63

+ £50 customs charge (again assuming one gets caught out)

= £571.63 saving well over (taking into account UK VAT) £150+ and that's going on the hope that I can get a the Ultimo 12 for £700. on the worst case senario you're saving £230.

IF it was £10-20 here or there, and one ould actually get the speakerrs in the UK then you'd say OK. but HAT seems to be in limited supply, and I'd like to try something other than an 8" from Alpine or JL Audio or Focal.

I'd love to try a HAT 8 or 10sub, plus the new Mirus speakers. Can't get them for love nor money over here.

I'll Look at the EU option, but for the most part I've not found any decent price saving.
Look on eBay.it for Morel items.

Caraudiodirect are the uk dist for hybrid audio.

You don't want JL Audio speakers :)

Also your import tax is way off. On a £500 delivered item, if declared properly you will be paying About £650 total, plus any extra 'administration costs' that parcel force add on.

The secondhand market isn't bad. Ultimos normally go for around £300. There is always plenty of hybrid audio for sale. Just check the talkaudio classifieds. Not a lot of difference in buying well cared for audio second hand than unauthorized new from America.

·
1,960 Posts
Many of these 'un-authorized' dealers work out a deal with the manufacturers where they get the product cheaper if they assume the warranty responsibility. The manufacturers willingly sell the products BNIB with the disclaimer "as-is". If you have a problem with one of these products, you deal with the store directly for replacement...the manufacturer washes its hands of the situation.

This can be good or bad, depending on the situation.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Look on eBay.it for Morel items.
I can't remember where I read it, but the Italian stockist got some bad press, and there again its the price saving.

Also your import tax is way off. On a £500 delivered item, if declared properly you will be paying About £650 total, plus any extra 'administration costs' that parcel force add on.
it's never been a problem before, and i've imported way bigger things than car speakers.

Caraudiodirect are the uk dist for hybrid audio.
Not anymore. they're running down on a few item they've got left. directice is the new distributor .. and their HAT stock consists of three itmes:(

Direct ICE, UK Based Retailer of DC Audio, Sundown Audio and Hybrid Audio Technologies Products

but its the sub and the new coaxials i want to give a try and you can't get them for love nor money over here. However I haven't given them a ring. I might do see what else they can get for me.

The secondhand market isn't bad. Ultimos normally go for around £300. There is always plenty of hybrid audio for sale. Just check the talkaudio classifieds. Not a lot of difference in buying well cared for audio second hand than unauthorized new from America.
might be worth a punt but its still all the gear I want to try but can't get hold of. Mainly subs.

Thanks for the tips senior800. As For JL Audio, they're not a bad ol' bunch. I've heard worse!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts