DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shooting for sort of a mid level build with sound quality in mind. I don't see too many people mentioning Sony on here for sound quality. I'm feeding an MS-8, so it will be doing most of the work, but I figure you don't want to just put any crappy head unit in front of it, right? The specs on this Sony look pretty good except it only has 2V pre-amp outs. The MS-8 is spec'd for 2.8V in (I know it will be fine with more), so I figure not having 4V or 5V isn't too big of problem. What do you think? I like some of it's features.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GT660UP/Sony-CDX-GT660UP.html?tp=5684&nvpair=FFCustomer_Rating|[rank1]5+stars#overview-tab[/URL]

·
Registered
238 Posts
yeah, there is a reason sony isn't mentioned for sq anymore... I would greatly recommend looking at a used HU on this forum somewhere. Heck, there is a DEX-P1R on here or caco for like 120 that would give you SWEET SQ compared. Its top of the line OS pioneer, with tons of features, nice eq, 4 or 5v preouts... get that instead.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, that seems unanimous. Glad I asked. Thanks.

I don' know what it is, but I was looking at new stuff. Consensus on here is that only the old stuff is worthwhile. In general, I've never been a fan of used/refurbished/open box electronics. Been burned before.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wish I could wrap my head around this SQ thing. According to their specs they have better FM sensitivity and better signal to noise ratio on the CD than the mighty Pioneer DEX-P99RS. You'd think it would sound pretty good.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
I have to disagree with everyone... Sony did go down hill obviously when they started their xplod line but within the past year they have been trying to reverse themself back to a respectful level, even regarding sq. I own that unit, and it is great, the 7 band equalizer is a nice feature and the sound quality is on par with my eclipse. The only grip I have about it is the folder system when a usb drive is connected, it could be a little more user friendly. I never though I would own any sony equipment but this headunit showed me wrong. Very good quality, I cannot hear any added coloration to the original sound source regarding cd, ipod etc. Several car audio companies have had ups and downs, ppi for example... I would give them a second chance regarding their 2011 and newer equipment.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
I just checked out the specs on this and I have to agree. It looks like their may be a new sheriff in town.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have to disagree with everyone... Sony did go down hill obviously when they started their xplod line but within the past year they have been trying to reverse themself back to a respectful level, even regarding sq. I own that unit, and it is great, the 7 band equalizer is a nice feature and the sound quality is on par with my eclipse. The only grip I have about it is the folder system when a usb drive is connected, it could be a little more user friendly. I never though I would own any sony equipment but this headunit showed me wrong. Very good quality, I cannot hear any added coloration to the original sound source regarding cd, ipod etc. Several car audio companies have had ups and downs, ppi for example... I would give them a second chance regarding their 2011 and newer equipment.
What head unit are you using? Double din?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
176 Posts
Here's my take on that particular unit. Watch the vid see how he scrolls thru a songlist and it only shows one song at a time?? That SUCKS. The better Sony's will pull up a several deep list on a 4 line display, MUCH BETTER. True story, when I first started this hobby a few months ago I got the Sony 310 DMR. LOVE IT!!! Went to my first car audio competition and placed 3rd in my class by a point, 5th overall out of 20!!! Sony's cool man, just choose a better Sony than that one IMO.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Here's my take on that particular unit. Watch the vid see how he scrolls thru a songlist and it only shows one song at a time?? That SUCKS. The better Sony's will pull up a several deep list on a 4 line display, MUCH BETTER. True story, when I first started this hobby a few months ago I got the Sony 310 DMR. LOVE IT!!! Went to my first car audio competition and placed 3rd in my class by a point, 5th overall out of 20!!! Sony's cool man, just choose a better Sony than that one IMO.
I can not find your model do you have any info on the better newer models?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I can not find your model do you have any info on the better newer models?
I believe he was referring to the sony DSX-S310BTX, their top "digital only" reciever. I have the less featured marine digital reciever in my harley and it is an ok stereo, but the iPod storage tray was a big plus for me as storage is hard to come by on a bike. I would have liked to have more than a 3 band eq as getting better sound out of a bike's radio at 65mph is a challenge. I have a reasonably powerful amp driving the speakers, but it did sound ok driving the speakers on its own.

I think that the mid to upper models of the sony line offer a good value, but the design and materials don't seem as nice as the offerings of kenwood, pioneer and alpine. There are quite a few models that have the 7 band eq, rudimentary time allignment, some crossover and sub controls.

I don't think you can really call it a SQ head unit, but it's worthy of a little respect.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes I had the Sony 310 DMR. It has a 7 band parametric and preset or user adjustable time alignment. That's a great start for a "beginner SQ". Problem is it's a DMR not a CD player. I never set my own t/a I just set it on the driver seat preset and my center image was pretty good. I would've kept it but for MECA competition you have to be able to play the official CD. So I've moved on but I still miss that thing.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
When it comes to noise, frequency response, and distortions all head units are about the same. I have been reading test reviews of various head units and I don't see huge issues in that are. When people say "SQ head unit" they mean advanced DSP. If you use MS-8 as your DSP, any stereo will work. Just pick a deck with the features you need.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Sony has upped their game and I eventually plan to swap out my 930bt with one of the new sony nav units.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Regardless of brands(not those unknown China brands anyway), the output are pretty decent for day to day listening, even the JVC offers BB/TI's DAC on their lower end models.
More important is how we tune the overall system, I can use my DEX-P9 to tune to a "SPL" system when I like it to be.

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
Even during the Xplod years Sony HUs were fine. It was the cosmetics and marketing that drove people away. Remember, the first year of Xplod mobileES was still around and PART OF of the Xplod line. FoSQ I would take a Sony over anything from Kenwood and almost anything from Pioneer or Alpine.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts