DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Anyone having issues with the GPS antenna losing connection in CarPlay mode?

I get an error quite a lot and I have updated the software and the antenna is mounted on my windscreen

What could the problem be? It didn’t happen when the unit was new it started giving me an error message a few months back but it was like once a day thing - now it can happen 10 times in a day…

Thanks Guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Hi Guys

Anyone having issues with the GPS antenna losing connection in CarPlay mode?

I get an error quite a lot and I have updated the software and the antenna is mounted on my windscreen

What could the problem be? It didn’t happen when the unit was new it started giving me an error message a few months back but it was like once a day thing - now it can happen 10 times in a day…

Thanks Guys

What car, some cars have lots of lead in glass and struggle with gps signals through glass

it may also be different spec glass if you live in a hot country vs uk spec for example

simple test, put the gps on the roof and see if signal gets better, if it does thank whoever made your car

we have issues with some bmw, lots of VAG cars (Skoda mainly I play with I have lots of gps issues with), Mercedes also with the higher up stuff

I fit gps in the rear bumpers and waterproof them to get signal in our Skodas 👍🏼

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What car, some cars have lots of lead in glass and struggle with gps signals through glass

it may also be different spec glass if you live in a hot country vs uk spec for example

simple test, put the gps on the roof and see if signal gets better, if it does thank whoever made your car

we have issues with some bmw, lots of VAG cars (Skoda mainly I play with I have lots of gps issues with), Mercedes also with the higher up stuff

I fit gps in the rear bumpers and waterproof them to get signal in our Skodas
It’s a BMW E82 coupe - I mounted the GPS antenna on the windscreen in the corner…

I suspect a faulty unit as it worked perfectly for the first few months and then it started to drop CarPlay every now and then and now if I hit a bump on the road it can also drop CarPlay…

I removed the unit from the car to see if the connection at the back as maybe not plugged in properly but it’s a clip in plug - it’s either in or not.

Also I battled with suppression so I tried to run a lose RCA cable over the seats to see if it was a issue with my rca cable and it’s the same…

Unfortunately I don’t have a spare HU to test the suppression issue but it’s only one RCA cable used and I did try a Topping D10s instead of the HU and there is no noise…

Gonna take the unit in tomorrow to the Sony service center to get them to look at it…

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A topping d10s is likely a better isolated power supply and isn’t exactly earthed to the car in the same manner, so may not give noise if it’s a bad earth still
Gonna try another HU this weekend - right now it’s at the service center so I am awaiting a report on the Sony…

On a side note I have never had a issue using the stock earth from a BMW before and I have had many of them in the past…

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Gonna try another HU this weekend - right now it’s at the service center so I am awaiting a report on the Sony…

On a side note I have never had a issue using the stock earth from a BMW before and I have had many of them in the past…

It isn’t nescessarily the vehicle earth that’s the issue, it could be an rca ground…

1 - 6 of 6 Posts