DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Sony XAV-AX200 head unit with Low Pass Filter to an amped subwoofer. My question is: Would there be issues/problems adding another amp to drive the front component speakers?

Apologies for my ignorance...this is what I have...and what I want to do. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

What I have:
Sony head unit XAV-AX200 (20 watts RMS @ 4 ohms) with Low Pass Filter set at 100hz
to Alpine amp MRV-M500 (300 watts @ 4 ohms) to Rockford Fosgate subwoofer P3SD2-8 150 watts @ 4 ohms.
Rear 6.5 coaxials and Front components driven by head unit.

What I'm thinking of doing:
Head Unit and Subwoofer setup remain unchanged.
Delete rear coaxials
Add amp for (new) front 2-way component speakers

I already have and would like to use if possible Alpine SPR-10TW tweeters (4 ohms, 150 watts, 88db, 1,000-29,000kHz)

I'd love to be able to get away with just purchasing a new amp and midranges. Cost is a big consideration.

I've been looking at:
Rockford Fosgate PPS4-6 Punch Pro 6.5" Midrange (4 ohms, 100 watts RMS, 92db, 85hz-5000kHz)
Skar Audio SKv2-100.4AB, 100 watts X4 @ 4 ohms - has variable crossovers for a possibly active setup
MTX Audio THUNDER75.4 75 watts X4 @ 4 ohms - not sure if I could run active

It's my understanding that the passive crossover for the Alpine tweeters is High Pass at 1,000kHz.

Anyway, my head hurts just thinking about it. Again, your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,635 Posts
I'm sure the HPF for the tweeters is higher than 1khz, I don't know of a 1" tweeter that plays even close that low, even 1.8khz is the lower limit for the AF GB15.

Having said that, you can wire up some midwoofers. You will have a HPF for the mids from the head unit, and a LPF from the amp, to create a bandpass filter for the mids. It'll work, and it will probably be a step up from what you have now, but it won't be on par with what a DSP can do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will have a HPF for the mids from the head unit, and a LPF from the amp, to create a bandpass filter for the mids. It'll work
Thank you very much! This is exactly what I was wondering about and needed to know.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Are those the counterfeit <$50 ebay/amazon tweeters or real Alpine tweets?

Sony head unit.... good that you can run a low pass to the sub amp
Sony head unit... can highpass to your Skar and let the Skar split the mids/tweets however you like them.... probably wouldn't run that tweeter below 3k without testing.
Punch Pro--- going for loud... response is 85+hz.... I guess that 100hz point is a starting point.
I wouldn't bother with the tweeter crossover since the Skar can take care of it(way too much power for just a tweet). Don't go nuts with the gain. Gain is not a volume control.

1hz-100hz..... subwoofer from headunit. Can try 80 or 120hz to see how it blends with mid
Headunits 100hz(or 80 or 120hz) to the Skar amp to mid tested to 5000hz(and keep going lower if tweeter lets you).
5000-20k+ Skar amp to tweeter. Obviously, can test tweeter down lower to match the mid.
Adjust accordingly for your ears an expectations. Probably slowly work the mid down and see how low the tweeter will do for you.... 4000? 3000? 2000? blown!
Fade headunit all the way forward... its pro and not SQ... why not use the rear speaker locations too?

Mtx Thunder ... no multiplier to save the tweeters? I wouldn't run it.

I don't care for any "pro" speakers, or the leave doors open and walk away scientific loudness test.

Consider keeping the speakers the same and just add one of the amps to your current coaxial/components and see what happens. If not loud enough, toss in the Pro speakers. It all depends on which coaxials/components you're using. I bet the current coaxial/components can get pretty loud when seeing 80+, 100+, or 120hz+ from the headunit crossover.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts