DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into raw drivers for a bit, but I've never really seen many small midranges. I am currently running the RE Audio RE comp set in my Ranger. I was thinking of porting the woofers, but I want a better setup. I love the sound. Do not get me wrong. It is just that it's kinda hard to mount 6.5s where I want. I have them in the stock locations witht the tweeters firing up a bit and surface mounted on the doors.

Those are from Steve Meade's truck. I want the same thing. I want the mids and tweets playing down to say 150 or 200 hz. I don't mind trying to make pods on the A pillars. I don't think I have money for the Rainbow mids he has :)

Tang Band W4-1052SA 4" Driver $23.07 Each

Is something like that worth looking into? Are there other 3" or 4" mids around $20 each that will still sound good? Forgive me for my n00bishness 8)

Tempe

·
Registered
120 Posts
aura 2" NS2- $20

aura 3" NS3-193-8a- $20

aura 3" NS3-194-8E- $10.50

those prices are from www.madisound.com you can go there and check out the specs of each driver. npdang sells aura and might be able to get you a better price.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you are going for an a-pillar mounting option, try the aura ns2 you posted. They have poor sensitivity, but if you are mounting up high i doubt you would have issues. If you want a cone driver that will play lower, then try the tangband w3-871. That driver has a cult following in DIY circles and should have no trouble being crossed at 200-250Hz depending on your typical listening volume. with the aura 2 inch mid, i would cross no lower than about 400Hz. Either of those drivers should make for a killer setup, and are cheap as hell...try both if you can, and sell the one you dont want at a discount, it'll hardly cost you anything :)

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
The Aura NS3 (EDIT: to be clear, the alloy-cone one; I've no experience with the paper cone one, and given the motor differences I'm not inclined to try it.) will have the best motor of the lot, but the downside with them is that the frame is not quite up to the motor. That motor and cone assembly in a more rigid cast basket would be a great deal at twice the price.

If you can fit the NS3, then the Whisper is a poor choice. The NS3 is a better driver all around; lower midband distortion - though if you're a fan of high-distortion tube amps like conrad johnsons or various SETs, you may prefer the Whispers - equal or better high end, and capable of going a good octave lower. Yes, my car system uses the Whispers, but that's because a 3" driver wouldn't fit in the stock upper-door tweeter mount and stealth was a priority for me.

There's a $10 HiVi 3" driver that's reputed to be pretty good, too, though I've never heard one. I don't remember the specifics but you can the model number and 3rd party measurements at www.zaphaudio.com. For the prices of these things there's really no reason not to buy both and compare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts