DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my bike it comes factory with 5.25 speakers. You can buy 6.5 adapters but the speakers are larger than the opening. Would you need to worry about sound cancellation making the bigger speakers not a good choice?

Also I have factory adapters for a 5x7 that doesn't seem to cover any of the speaker. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a link to some pictures. Top photo is factory 5.25 and the bottom photo is with 6.5" adapter installed. http://www.throttleupindustries.com/alternate_pics.php

Do you think the 6.5" is going to suffer from sound cancellation due to the size of the opening?

There is a new model out that comes with 5X7 from the factory and I have those adapters as well that I purchased.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
I see no pics, are they adapting them behind the hole? You will only get cancellation if the back and front of the speaker are open to each other. If you mount behind a smaller hole it is typically ok though it can change the sound some. It depends on the driver if the new one has more bass then it should have more bass. You can shoot a sub through a hole about half what the sub is and it will work, but I would not recommend for midrange. Bass is more moving the air while higher frequencies can make reflections and change the dispersion patterns of the driver. If you create a manifold between the speaker and hole that is not good and can tune a bandpass. The higher frequencies come from the center of the cone so they should not be affected much if at all from a little smaller hole the speaker is very close to but behind. But if your larger speaker has the same response it will not do anything for you, aside from maybe more power handling. Bigger does tend to have more bass in general. This is just my experience from doing stuff like this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts