DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can help me out with this.

I recently took out my radio (Pioneer DEH-P9800BT)to put it in another vehicle. I replaced it with a JVC KD-R900. I have not changed the wiring of amps/sub/speakers at all since switching the radio, and everything worked perfectly before new deck. I have not moved this car in 3 months however. The only connection I have going back to the amps from the radio, are the 2 sets of RCA's(one for front channel amp(Cadence Xa125.2B powering Infinity 60.7cs), one for sub amp(Pioneer GM-D8500M powering Pioneer TS-SW2501S2)), and the remote wire. I have these going into a soundstream distribution block. When the radio turns on, both amps also turn on, so the remote wire is working. My problem is that there is no sound coming out of the front channel. Only the sub is making sound. I switched the RCA's from the sub(which I knew were good since the sub was making sound) to the front stage amp, and no sound was produced. That rules out the other RCA's as being the problem(right?). The amp is not in protect, it has a red protect light which is not lit. If I turn the volume on the new deck up quite a bit, a crackling sound does come from the front speakers, but no sound, is this indicating a short in the speaker wires(not sure how that would happen on an immobile car.) Where do I go from here?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Have you tried taking the sub RCA feed from the HU and feeding the front stage amp with it? I realize if you're running active crossover on the HU you'll only hear bass from the front midbasses but if you hear anything that rules out the amp, and only leaves the HU.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Almighty. Something else I noticed. The sub makes sound with only 1 rca in. Is that normal? Also I hear nothing coming from front after switching rca. I guess now run speaker wire from front stage amp to sub to rule out amp while using sub channel?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I made a test speaker and hooked up to the front channel amp. It crackles just like the actual speakers plugged into it do. This rules out short in wiring to door speakers. It only crackles at high volume. No sound below 35(radio goes 0-50)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hooked sub amp up to one side of the front components and used all of the deck outputs and got sound on all 3(all bass though but maybe that's because mono is highpass filtering I assume) so this means my front stage amp is the culprit right?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Are both amps grounded to the same spot? Grounds can do funky things if they aren't clean and tight.

Care to take a picture of your setup?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can take some pics when I get home tonight for sure. I have a soundstream powerplant 2(not sure why this is discontinued, It's been great for ~3 years now.) with one ground going out from it to the vehicle chassis, and 2 ground wires coming out from it, one to each amp. I suppose that could be another area which could have some sort of internal failure on one side of it(although it would be weird for it to allow the amp to turn on but just make clicking sounds only at high volume no? I'm kind of stumped at this point.

Not really wanting to buy a new amp, but if I need to, got any recommendations for a 2 way that will do 90w rms @2ohms and ~290-300 peak @2ohms? Preferably in the $150 price range.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Isn't [email protected] to much for speakers rated at 90w rms @2 ohms?

If not, how does this compare qualitywise to something such as Infinity 475a(I know this is 4 channel, but I have it powering 2 sets of similar components in my Jeep, and it sounds great)

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I would put this classAB amp into the decent category. I don't have first hand experience with this exact model, but have used quite a few other Aura amps and they have all sounded pretty clean.

Just because the power is there doesn't mean you have to use it. :). It's always better to have more power than not enough. Less chance of clipped power making it to your speakers. Just be easy on the gains when setting up.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Sorry, have never heard that amp... but as I said I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Aura.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts