DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up on deadening for a long time, both on here, on SDS, and on Second Skin, Raammat, and other manufacturer's websites; so I'm pretty familiar with what products are out there and what the consensus is on who makes a quality product. Buy what's still unclear to me is where in a vehicle each type of product is most useful.

My goal is mainly to keep road noise out. The roads here are really rough and with my wide Z rated tires the constant growling, humming noise can be fatiguing by itself after a while; not to mention how much I have to turn my stereo up to hear it clearly.

Vibration dampers like Damplifier and Raammat- OK, obviously they damp vibration either by adding mass or converting sound waves to low level heat. Surely these are the type of product to use on inner and outer door skins, rattling trunk lids, and the like. But how worthwhile are these products on vehicle floors and other surfaces where one wants to block the transmission of outside noise? Luxury Liner looks like something I would definitely want to use on my floorpan for this purpose. Is it really beneficial to use a vibration damper underneath it, or is doing so of minimal value?

Basically I'm on a budget. If the vibration damper is indeed useful to damp road noise, would there be a benefit to applying a layer of it now, and maybe adding the Luxury Liner later on? Or is a vibration damper not going to reduce road noise noticeably without being used in conjunction with a barrier like LL?

I see everyone talking about CCF / Ensolite but I still don't understand exactly what this does. Some seem to think it worthwhile to use on floorpans and others say it is completely useless in such an application. I get how it would be of benefit on inner door skins on top of a layer of vibration dampener, but why wouldn't someone want to use a product like Luxury Liner there as well? Besides the obvious fact that the CCF is thinner, if you had the room to use a barrier product on door panels, wouldn't this be better?

I suppose I could email Second Skin with these questions but I figured some unbiased opinions from end users would be most valuable. So, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Lots of info is posted here already.

Super quick overview since it's already been discussed 100s of times.

1.. Damp vibrations using CLD mat. It's best to use it on large flat panels. You don't need to cover them 100%, and you surely don't need 2 layers as the 2nd layer just damps the foil on the first layer.

2.. To block noise, make sure you have 100% coverage, the heavier and limper the blocking material the better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts