DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
321 - 340 of 1726 Posts

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
If you guys want it tested, just let me know. I have 7 products left, some experiments, and 2 more products coming (maybe 4, im going to call second skin today).
We have a pretty popular CLD in Europe called "Silent Coat". You guys have access to that brand in the US?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Looking good, Don!

We're running some similar tests through an independent lab on Second Skin as well as a few other company's products, and the cool thing is it looks like we're doing completely different companies so we'll have a collection of quite a bit of technical data for everyone to see once this is all done!

Ken

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
Looks like Silent Coat is available here in the U.S. Silent Coat US Silent Coat US I Sound and Vibration Dampening Products

Also, Chris, I can't recall if you have any Fatmat or not? I have a friend here in town who might have enough leftover from a hot rod build to "spare a square."

SecondSkin... I look forward to any published test results you might be willing to share. Even if you can't "name names," it would be nice if you could at least give a written description of the other products tested. (Similar to what Chris has been doing in describing the makeup and thickness of the restraining and adhesive layer.)

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Hanatsu, ill look when I get home from work, I swear ive heard of it before.

Dean, 12x12 is plenty, ill pm you my address when I get home as well.
I might be able to send you some, how much did you need again?

·
Registered
4,933 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
For the minimum testing (vibration, short term heat failure, long term heat) I'd need a 6"x8" piece.

Dustin, nope, no Fatmat yet. As of now, what I have left in my possession is GTMat 50mil, 110mil, and onyx, STP gold, silver, and vizomat, and Lightning Audio deadskin.

I have Memphis Mojo Mat on the way, and I believe some Audio Technix as well.

Ken, I'm going to call you in a few minutes, I've been meaning to do it, its just been crazy busy this week.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Looks like Silent Coat is available here in the U.S. Silent Coat US Silent Coat US I Sound and Vibration Dampening Products

SecondSkin... I look forward to any published test results you might be willing to share. Even if you can't "name names," it would be nice if you could at least give a written description of the other products tested. (Similar to what Chris has been doing in describing the makeup and thickness of the restraining and adhesive layer.)
Of course! We'll try to format it the same way or similar to Chris' posts to keep things simple, and we should have the results in a week or two.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I can provide fatmat and rattletrap if needed.

Also if you're up to it, can you compare aluminum flashing adhered with rtv sealant? I can provide samples for that as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Short and quick answer while im on my phone, ill expand later.

I havent had the chance to talk with him yet, he was here last week, but I was very busy getting ready for my interview. He'll be back in town next week, and ill discuss it with him. I've actually been working on design for the next test procedure, and although thats a good while a way, ill be discussing that with him as well.

As for the mic, the pictures are hiding a gap between the mic board, and test box. There is about a half inch gap between the mic board, and the test box. I did test with some closed cell foam underneath, but the results actually varied more with it in place than without it, so I left it out.
When you say the results varied more with the closed cell foam, do you mean you put a piece of foam under the mic board? Because if this was your approach, it would not surprise me that you would see those results. The "mic board" would provide a large resonant surface to pick up sound pressure waves, a having a piece of foam under would only allow that board to resonate more freely. What you need to do is decouple the mic tripod from the mic board. This is generally accomplished by suspending the mic in something called a "Shock mount", and using as small a surface area as possible when attaching the mic stand to the base/board (like the spikes used on the bottom of tower speakers).

Of course, the other option is to attach everything to a critically damped rigid body...like a large slab of cement or granite

·
Registered
116 Posts
Of course! We'll try to format it the same way or similar to Chris' posts to keep things simple, and we should have the results in a week or two.
something I'm a little confused about while I browsed the net.

is Alpha damp also your product?, a sister company? or whats up?
Couple of posts I've found seem like it was your product or you at least offered it, but on this site theirs 2 separate sections..

Back on topic, I'm interested in results also but I have a good idea only about 3 or so brands are worth the purchase

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
I can provide fatmat and rattletrap if needed.

Also if you're up to it, can you compare aluminum flashing adhered with rtv sealant? I can provide samples for that as well.
I'll see if Dustin (a local) can get the fatmat, if not, I'll let you know. Rattletrap and the homemade solution would be very interesting to test. I'll pm you after I get find out from Dustin about the fatmat.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
When you say the results varied more with the closed cell foam, do you mean you put a piece of foam under the mic board? Because if this was your approach, it would not surprise me that you would see those results. The "mic board" would provide a large resonant surface to pick up sound pressure waves, a having a piece of foam under would only allow that board to resonate more freely. What you need to do is decouple the mic tripod from the mic board. This is generally accomplished by suspending the mic in something called a "Shock mount", and using as small a surface area as possible when attaching the mic stand to the base/board (like the spikes used on the bottom of tower speakers).

Of course, the other option is to attach everything to a critically damped rigid body...like a large slab of cement or granite
Yep, that's what I tried first, and after to trial and error, figured out that was what going on. By worse, I mean there was a consistent small bump in frequency response that wasn't there without the foam. I then tried foam under the box itself, and it had no measurable effect vs no foam.

I've been working on designing a new test rig for future tests (after this is wrapped up and I take a break) and that was one of the issues I think I have solved, along with a much better clamping surface for the test panel.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
Just so everyone knows, I talked to Ken from Second Skin today. He said he would be sending out a sample for these tests, in addition to their own independent test efforts.

I also received a rather large shipment of SDS CLD Tiles. Don had told me over the weekend that he would like to send me some samples for this testing. I am going to email him before I open them to make sure he's still ok with me testing it, if not, I am going to send it back. I don't feel right testing it with him being the donor, if he is not ok with the tests.

I was advised it would be good to remind everyone of the reasons behind this testing, as most people now are understandably skipping the first pages where it was contained.

My #1 purpose with this testing, is to get an idea of how each of these products perform, in a relatively controlled environment. I saw a lack of testing of any kind for these products, aside from a few ASTM-756 tests, which as Don and I agree, is not very indicative of how these products perform in our use. The testing I am doing, is sort of a preliminary testing. With the budget at hand, I have done everything I can to control the circumstances and give each product a fair chance. After I get through the samples I have, I will likely spend a month looking over everything, and putting together a very in depth report, including disclaimers that all testing of any form is limited in scope, and with every circumstance being different, that this is more of a guide to products that perform well. At that point I will take a break, as I've been working on this for several months when you include research, and I will likely be having surgery this fall. At some point early next year, I will begin preparing for a more in depth test, with the ability to test at multiple temps, with either an accelerometer, or non-contacting vibration sensor.

The secondary purpose is to test certain claims that have been made over the years. While I agree that there is diminishing returns from double layering, more than 50% coverage, etc, I want to know what those diminishing returns are. There are many more reasons to use these products than just quieting road noise, as Therapture showed with his waterfall plots from before and after roof deadening. I will be doing similar, with some in car tests at the time when I am able to work on deadening my wife's car. I at no point have, or will claim that these results are absolute for every circumstance, but that they do make it easier for people to make their own decisions about how to best treat the problems they have.

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
something I'm a little confused about while I browsed the net.

is Alpha damp also your product?, a sister company? or whats up?
Couple of posts I've found seem like it was your product or you at least offered it, but on this site theirs 2 separate sections..

Back on topic, I'm interested in results also but I have a good idea only about 3 or so brands are worth the purchase
Second Skin used to sell Alpha Damp before they obtained their own product to market.
Now Alpha Damp is sold exclusively by the owner of this forum.

Which reminds me Ken, I need to buy more LLP soon.
I will call you when the time comes. :D

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

321 - 340 of 1726 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.