DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 1726 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I'm going off the sticky notes in the package I got. I'll go over each product as I test and email each company if I need more info. I know I need to email Lightning Audio, as I can't find any specs on their products.

I just checked out Audio Technix site, I'd definitely like to test their products, especially being that they have different constraining layer thicknesses than everyone else. I'll be emailing Second Skin as well, as they also have their own thicknesses on the constraining layer.

·
Premium Member
8,767 Posts
Not that I have pro gear, but I do have a Nikon D7000 and a tripod. I've also got access to a GoPro (last gen) if we need to shoot some Slo-mo, but it won't be 1080. My DSLR and phone both shoot 1080 though.

·
Registered
615 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good start to the list. I think Audio Technix is a vendor, maybe they will send you a tile of 60 and 80 mil. If you want I can email them and ask.

That GTMat Pro could be confusing for people buying it. Usually 2 different spec products are not called the same thing. ---> Just looked on their site and the 100 mil doesn't say Pro. GT MAT SOUND CONTROL, LLC Automotive Sound Deadener Dampning Material Dynamat Alternative
I'm going off the sticky notes in the package I got. I'll go over each product as I test and email each company if I need more info. I know I need to email Lightning Audio, as I can't find any specs on their products.

I just checked out Audio Technix site, I'd definitely like to test their products, especially being that they have different constraining layer thicknesses than everyone else. I'll be emailing Second Skin as well, as they also have their own thicknesses on the constraining layer.
Ack, the guys probably tagged the 110 wrong. GT110 is what we are calling it, for lack of a better name. Also, the 80 mil is GTMat Ultra.

Looking forward to the test results, let me know if you need anything else!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I'll be emailing the owner of Audio Technix later today, but it sounds like he's on board.

Also, there was some concern on a non-audio board about the ability to know what the actual materials are in the deadeners. There was concern that some companies (he specified dynamat) might have asphalt in them without them saying so. So, I plan to email each company I test, and ask for an MSDS for each material. I'm hoping they wont view it as me attempting to reverse engineer their product, but we'll see. I don't expect each company to oblige.

Also, I'll be building a punch to cut the deadeners to size for the testing. I figure its the easiest way to guarantee all pieces are the same size. I have access to a press, so I can use that with the punch to cut them out.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thanks. Response here has definitely been better than elsewhere.

"why bother measuring if difference, if you cant hear it"

"if something reduced the noise, why spend a higher amount to reduce it more"

And my favorite

"this testing is going to be hard to quantify if your not going to listen for improvements"

You know. Because subjective testing is great at quantifying things, and objective testing can't quantify things.

Oh well, if I wasn't pissing someone off, I wouldn't be doing a good enough job at this.

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Thanks. Response here has definitely been better than elsewhere.

"why bother measuring if difference, if you cant hear it"

"if something reduced the noise, why spend a higher amount to reduce it more"

And my favorite

"this testing is going to be hard to quantify if your not going to listen for improvements"

You know. Because subjective testing is great at quantifying things, and objective testing can't quantify things.

Oh well, if I wasn't pissing someone off, I wouldn't be doing a good enough job at this.
You knew that was coming. :p

Now just wait until you start posting comparison data. :rolleyes:

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
615 Posts
You knew that was coming. :p

Now just wait until you start posting comparison data. :rolleyes:

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR
I say ignore them :)

The only other piece you will need to work out is the rolling of the material onto the metal... Not sure if it will be wide enough, but I would think using an older style Towel Ringer would be ideal and provide consistency... no?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I'm excited to see your test write-up. I'm tired of the endless stubborn statements that one vibration damper is just as good as another.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i didnt read all of the post, but i have tons of FatMat i will be willing to donate. and there is a couple pieces of Dynamat Xtreme at work if you need it, ill even pay shipping

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Dustin, sorry I missed your post. That Nikon is more than enough, its better than trying to post stuff from my film Canon rebel. My point and shoot works, but its close up abilities suck. I'll let you know when I'm getting ready to start.

Dean, I've actually been thinking about that for a while. I measured the pressure which I usually use to apply sound deadening. I pressed down on my scale, and got 69 pounds. Since I've been using a rubber roller, I then coated the roller in ink, and pressed down on a sheet of paper. The resulting blotch measured a little less than a square inch, 2"x0.375" or so. So I need something that can at least do between 60-80psi. My worry with the towel ringer, is both pressure, and the possibility of it bending the metal. I'm thinking two 1/4" thick steel plates, and a press.

FutureFuzz, some Fatmat would be great, I don't have any yet. If you could do a 12"x12" of dynamat too, that would be great. PM me and we can figure it out. Thanks again.

Haha Brett. Funny thing is, I knew it would come over there first, and I knew the two members that it would be. One is a die hard peel n seal fan, and all other brand skeptic (but hes never used anything else):rolleyes:. The other is someone who builds street cars that push the limits of diminished returns in engine performance, but then derides me for working on my car's aerodynamics because "dodge wouldn't build it that way if it wasn't the best way".:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,767 Posts
Dustin, sorry I missed your post. That Nikon is more than enough, its better than trying to post stuff from my film Canon rebel. My point and shoot works, but its close up abilities suck. I'll let you know when I'm getting ready to start...

...One is a die hard peel n seal fan, and all other brand skeptic (but hes never used anything else):rolleyes:. The other is someone who builds street cars that push the limits of diminished returns in engine performance, but then derides me for working on my car's aerodynamics because "dodge wouldn't build it that way if it wasn't the best way".:rolleyes:
Just let me know. The camera is pretty much ready to go at all times.

And on the forum front... I am not too surprised. Seems like a pretty common type of response from a vehicle specific forum. BTDT.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
I have some Peel n Seal laying around the garage I would be happy to donate to the cause. The guys at April Fools Fest can attest to this :blush:

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
PM'd you back spyders.

Also guys, I'll have some video tonight of the accelerometer working. Got it hooked up today to verify functioning. Just need to figure out youtube, since photobuckets video hosting sucks.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Subd I have a small piece of dynamat. Not sure how much you need. Also have elemental designs 45 mil if you want that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

41 - 60 of 1726 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.