DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 1,726 Posts
Sounds good Chris, 1/3 roll headed your way!

Discussion starter · #62 ·
Awesome, thanks Spyders.

Well, no video, I can't find the charger for my camera, and my phone takes lousy video. I did get some phone pics though. For the actual testing, the pictures will be taken by a local audio enthusiast, with a Nikon D7000. We'll also have my camera which takes 1080 video, and a gopro.

ADXL335 Chip on a Arduino Breakout Board. Some of the caps will be changed out to achieve the bandwidth I'm happy with.

Sparkfun 3.3/5 volt DC power supply.

This is me shaking the accelerometer along the Y axis, which is the axis I'll be using for the test. The X and Z axis work as well.

And this is me shaking it again, with a different pattern.

I only had two hands, or I would tell you guys the frequency and amplitude. I'll locate the charger tomorrow and get some actual video. Remember, this is just to verify functioning. I'll work this weekend on making sure its accurate enough for the testing, although specs say it should be.

Got the StP products in today, its definitely some interesting stuff for those who haven't had the chance to check them out.
I have seen it in the boxes but never had the chance to use it on anything

Sweet... Can't wait to see the results :)

Don't have anything to send you but if you tell me your paypal, I can send you a few bucks to help you (and us) in your test.

Kelvin

yeah man! great thread so far!

you may want to start a new one once the testing stuff is put together...

you also may want to post a list of the product you have on hand and the products you would like to get so more peoply might see an updated list of have\want\need.

I am very interested in the results of this one now. Subscribed. I am just about to flip my car stereo machine for a much higher line vehicle but sadly has nothing done to it yet. Blank slates are always nice too. I think the first thing I will be looking at is sound deadening but I have to save up a bit first. It will be interesting to see which brand comes out on top or if there will be a decisive winner at all.

Package in the mail!

Discussion starter · #69 ·
Kelvin, I'll pm you when I'm off work.

Req, thanks. I'll start a new thread when I get results to keep it cleaned up. I may be able to get them all hosted up on a website as well, my dad has had my name registered as a domain name since I was a freshman. I'll have to look into finding someone that's competent at designing a website lol. I'll get a list up later today.

James, I'm really curious what the results will be. I'm not expecting huge differences between certain products. Of course I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong, as that makes the test worth more to me.

Spyders, thanks, I'll let you know when it gets here.

2Stubborn- I have some left over Cascade VB2. It is not CLD but it is used for the same purpose. Let me know if you want a little bit for this. I am curious if it compares well to the others or not.

Crap, I forgot about this! - 2stubborn- I have the GTMat ready to ship to you. Can you please PM me the shipping addy again...

Discussion starter · #72 ·
James, cascade is one of the ones I don't have that I really think needs to be in this test. Both the VB-2, and VMAX. PM me, and we'll talk about it.

Rapture, I'll pm you right after I post this.

Ok, this is the list of have in my hands products.

Dynamat xtreme - 1 12"x12"
GTMat Pro 50 Mil - 1 12"x12"
GTMat Ultimate 80 Mil - 1 12"x12"
GTMat 110 Mil - 1 12"x12"
GTMat Onyx - 1 12"x12"
Alphadamp - 1 10"x14"
SDS CLD - 1 6"x10"
Stinger Road Kill Pro - 2 6"x6"
Lightning Audio Deadskin - 1 8"x8"
StP Bomb - 1 sheet
StP Gold - 1 sheet
StP Silver - 1 sheet
StP Vizomat - 1 sheet

Things that are on the way or have might soon be on the way

Fatmat
1/3rd a roll of peel n seal
second skin damp pro
edead
possibly some cascade V-2
possibly some knu concepts stuff

That leaves me wanting for the test

cascade vmax
maybe some raamat

I think that's really the whole list of heavy hitters, and somewhat common alternatives.

Kelvin, I'll pm you when I'm off work.

Req, thanks. I'll start a new thread when I get results to keep it cleaned up. I may be able to get them all hosted up on a website as well, my dad has had my name registered as a domain name since I was a freshman. I'll have to look into finding someone that's competent at designing a website lol. I'll get a list up later today.

James, I'm really curious what the results will be. I'm not expecting huge differences between certain products. Of course I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong, as that makes the test worth more to me.

Spyders, thanks, I'll let you know when it gets here.
TSTF,
Since many on DIYMA have sent you product to help testing, it's only right that the results get posted here.
Duplicate the results if you want on your own website but definitely post them here as well.
Thanks buddy. :)

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

Discussion starter · #75 ·
TSTF,
Since many on DIYMA have sent you product to help testing, it's only right that the results get posted here.
Duplicate the results if you want on your own website but definitely post them here as well.
Thanks buddy. :)

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR
It will definitely be posted here first. The website will be something afterwards to keep things simple and easy to read, without whats likely to be a lot of additional posts.

Kelvin, I'll get you back tomorrow.

Discussion starter · #77 ·
Just an update on where things are. There will also be durability testing for heat, using a small toaster oven. I'll use an oven thermometer to get the temps accurate. The test box is being built as we speak, I sourced a local shop for the cutting, since all I have is a router. I'll cut the holes at home, and glue it hopefully by Tuesday. I'll also be getting the metal today to make the stamps. I'm going to make two, one for the actual testing, and one small one for the heat testing, that way size doesn't play a factor into heat failure. I've also ordered new capacitors for the accelerometer board, as the stock ones limited bandwidth to a -3db point of 50hz. The new ones will have a -3db point past 640hz.

Testing size is updated, the test surface total area is going to be 11"x11". The metal piece itself will be 12"x12", and the outside half inch perimeter will be used to clamp it down. The test squares will therefore be 5.5"x5.5", to maintain quarter coverage. This works out, as SDS has a 6" width, but the butyl stops a about 3/32" before the aluminum does.

I'm working out with my dad how to show the results. There may be two options, and when we confirm that, I'll post here, and want to opinions of everyone that donated. I had wanted to show loss factor using the Half Power Bandwidth Method as mentioned before in the thread, but the more I look into it, and the more I talked to my dad, the more I decided against it. The main reason being that it can only determine loss factor at the resonant frequency of the damping system, and it also seems that recently studies have shown accuracy to vary by large amounts at low frequencies, and high loss factors. To be honest, I doubt any products here will create a critically damped or over-damped system, but it will still be nice to know how close to critically damped we can get.

I'm still slightly confused about the enclosure and baffle setup. Can you help me out here?

I figured the testing would be done using test tones from low to high, record the deflection, then plot these on a graph and connect the dots.

Discussion starter · #79 ·
Your exactly right. Basically, I need a way to excite the metal. I'm not happy with hitting it with a hammer, as its not repeatable. So I figured I would build a box, with an inside height and width of 12"x12", looking from the front, made from 1/2" baltic birch. So outside dimensions would be 13"x13", again looking from the front. The front would have a 13"x13" baffle, with a 11"x11" square cut out. This is the mounting point for the metal test piece. It will have 8 hurricane nuts, 4 at the corners, and 4 in between, so I can get accurate torque each time the piece is removed and replaced. The test metal will be 12"x12", and will be sandwiched between that front baffle, and another identical 13"x13" baffle with the 11"x11" cut out.

Move onto the back, and you'll have a rear baffle, just like the front. To attach to that and provide vibration, will be the speaker mounting baffles, utilizing 2 L6SE's, mounted motor side out, to make wiring easier.

I hope that helps, if not, I'll try to sketch something up. I'm horrible at using computer sketch programs, so give me a little time to draw it up. If that fails, I'll take a pic of my hand drawings lol.

I think I got it now. I think one speaker would be enough, but this might prove wrong during testing or depending on how sensitive is the accelerometer. Plus it would more accurately represent the volume of air per average door (average door also has one woofer compressing the air).

I'm not sure if the graphs curve will change curve angle based on level of power applied to woofer (for the same CLD tile), what do you think?

61 - 80 of 1,726 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.