DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1001 - 1020 of 1726 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
The most extensive test I have seen was this one.

http://users.actrix.co.nz/dougal.ellen/forums/Sound_Deadener_Showdown.pdf

He tested a lot of them,.. in heat,.. testing whether they got gooey and slid out of place,.. off-gassing,.. mass, v.s cost etc. (Asphalt products off-gas and smell,.. and slip out of place in high heat, such as in a closed car in a parking lot in the summer)

The best two were close. Dynamat Extreme and Damplifier Pro. Each being equal with the Damplifier having a small edge in heat (although well outside the temp range it will ever see), and it was also being able to be repositioned soon after application,.... and when re-applied would still reach it's maximum bonding strength after an hour (very handy).

On top of that,.. the Damplifier was 70% of the cost. It pretty much came out the clear winner. I bought the regular Damplifier (cheaper and thinner than the Pro) and used one layer everywhere of concern,.. and a second layer in key areas.

There are new ones on this list that aren't featured in this guy's test. He tests;

Brown Bread
FatMat
E-Dead V1
E-Dead V1SE
B-Quiet Extreme
B-Quiet Ultimate
RAAMmat BTX60
Damplifier Pro
Damplifier Extreme
Dynamat origional
Dynamat Extreme

His conclusions were that;
The Highest Quality Product was the Damplifier products by Second Skin Audio

And the Best Value was the RAAMmat BXT

·
Registered
132 Posts
Don aka Rudeboy done that test...now his product is the best in this test...

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,006
Any idea where the results can be found?

Would be great if a page number or link was added to the first post.
Full results aren't finished yet. However, many of the products on Don's old test list don't exist anymore or have been changed. If you read over the last 3 pages you'll get the gist of where the testing process and results currently are.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Full results aren't finished yet. However, many of the products on Don's old test list don't exist anymore or have been changed.
I was sure this would be true. In 9 years a lot of CLD materials would have been reformulated or gone from the market. Even though the results from 2005 are highly suspect today because of obsolete data on materials that no longer exist in their 2005 form it is nice to have a historical perspective to look back on.

This however brings up the following question. Once all of your testing is finally finished will you continue testing into the future as new products arrive and old products change their formulations? Or once this testing is done will it simply sit and gather dust in another 9 years like that 2005 test result has done?

I would not blame anyone for not wanting to do continuous testing while not getting paid for it. I know it takes a good amount of time and some expense to perform all of these tests.

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
I was sure this would be true. In 9 years a lot of CLD materials would have been reformulated or gone from the market. Even though the results from 2005 are highly suspect today because of obsolete data on materials that no longer exist in their 2005 form it is nice to have a historical perspective to look back on.

This however brings up the following question. Once all of your testing is finally finished will you continue testing into the future as new products arrive and old products change their formulations? Or once this testing is done will it simply sit and gather dust in another 9 years like that 2005 test result has done?

I would not blame anyone for not wanting to do continuous testing while not getting paid for it. I know it takes a good amount of time and some expense to perform all of these tests.
This has been a lot of work on TSTF's part; especially for someone raising a family and he's been a real trooper to continue when I know that life has done everything to get in the way of his progress.
Let's not pigeonhole him on continuing ad nauseam for our benefit.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
549 Posts
^^^^Personally I'd like to know how the "old" stuff has held up over the years. Has it cracked, slid, or held rock solid in the door panels? As for the new comers to be tested that would be interesting but not as nearly so as how the old stuff has faired IF they are still around.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was not trying to pigeonhole him. I am amazed that anyone would do this much testing over this length of time with all of the problems life has brought during the testing period.

I appreciate all of the hard work involved in getting all of the testing done so far. If after doing this round of testing is completed the results are finished then we have a great resource available to us. I am not sure I would have continued this far with everything that toostuborntofail has gone through at the same time.

I agree that the long term adhesion results of old products would be interesting to find out. I know some products have been reported to fall off in various threads scattered over the internet. I have found a few threads claiming cld material fell off cars or black goo leaked out with pictures showing that failure. However, I can not recall where I found them or what the products were. I am sure almost all were asphalt based products.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,011
I'm have some thoughts on future testing. Requires a lot of planning and design work, but I really think it would be beneficial. Let me get them together and I'll post them up, if not today than tomorrow. Likely I won't be at work tomorrow anyways due to the cold/eye/ear infection from hell. Woke up yesterday without vision in my left eye. Fun. Today I can see, but my eyes look like I smoked out with cheech and chong and Dr dre's whole label last night in my sleep.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm have some thoughts on future testing. Requires a lot of planning and design work, but I really think it would be beneficial. Let me get them together and I'll post them up, if not today than tomorrow. Likely I won't be at work tomorrow anyways due to the cold/eye/ear infection from hell. Woke up yesterday without vision in my left eye. Fun. Today I can see, but my eyes look like I smoked out with cheech and chong and Dr dre's whole label last night in my sleep.
Absolutely ENVIOUS!! Can I get an invite next time? Lol...:p

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thanks TOOSTUBBORN for this excellent, info-packed thread and all the work you've put into it! Hope you can get rid of the Cheech&Chong-eye disease quick, sounds miserable.
Since I couldn't wait for the final results I figured I couldn't go wrong with the full SDS package so I've been installing that for the last month & a half but now there's WINDOW quieting too!?!! ...hell, never be done w this....:po:

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,014
Lol. So I get a full eye exam on weds. It partially seems like pink eye, but then again it doesn't. Bloodshot, discharge, etc. But no itching, burning, pain, and blurred vision with a grey haze that is only there for the first several hours after waking is not normal for pink eye. Plus, my wife and I have shared game controllers, remotes, pillows, blankets and towels since it first happened, and she has nothing.

Still getting my thoughts together on future testing. I have everything figured out in my head, its trying to get it down on paper that's harder.

·
Premium Member
8,749 Posts
Let us know how it goes at the doc. Sounds like you might have gotten something in your eye that irritated it. The symptoms fading after a few hours of waking seems weird though. Hopefully they get your sorted out quickly.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,016
Will do. It's possibly a reaction to medication for the cold, I had a vision issue in the past as a reaction to corticosteroids given to me for bronchitis, although I just had the blurred vision and increased blood pressure in the eye, not the extreme bloodshot and discharge. I did take a new medication for it this time.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Got to love the side effects of medication. LOL

On a serious note though, I hope your back to your old self and over this bothersome issue soon. Best of Luck!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Now I know MLV testing is still a ways off, but I'm really tempted to give that db-3 stuff from Home Depot a shot.

At this point, I'm fairly certain I'll go with Knukonceptz or SDS for the CLD tiles. MLV and the decoupler are compete unknowns, never used either, so no idea what works, what doesn't, what works well, what works, but isn't cost effective, etc etc.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Now I know MLV testing is still a ways off, but I'm really tempted to give that db-3 stuff from Home Depot a shot.

At this point, I'm fairly certain I'll go with Knukonceptz or SDS for the CLD tiles. MLV and the decoupler are compete unknowns, never used either, so no idea what works, what doesn't, what works well, what works, but isn't cost effective, etc etc.
Don's (Welcome to Sound Deadener Showdown | Sound Deadener Showdown) is always a good option for foams and such, and MLV if you have no good local source (weight always being an issue.) That said, I still like my Ensolite, especially when you don't want a thick layer. I ordered a big stock of foams from Don a long while back though, and still have quite a few pieces left which I use here and there.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

Issue with that is it isn't very flexible and can Crack if overbent. I was going to give it a shot but just put it in storage as even though it has proven to do a decent job it's just to unforgiving and a pain to work with in the car.

1001 - 1020 of 1726 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.