DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Mazda 5, really a mini-minivan now that I think about it. Not having owned a vehicle like this before I note a sort of echo chamber effect behind me as I drive along, road noise seems amplified. Does anyone have any tips on quelling this phenomenon? So far, I have the side panels removed and I'll do the usual sound deadening over the meager factory application and augment with some closed cell foam.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Second Skin guys seem to really like Luxury Liner over their deadener on the floor, a lighter barrier on the vertical items, and things like rattle pad on the interior panels. Good stuff, IMO.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks; I have a fresh supply of Damplifier on the way. I'm thinking the volara (foam) that I have will work on the inside of the panels. I'm also thinking that if I can access any outer sheet metal in the back I can make a difference with Damplifier.

It also occurred to me that I should attempt to block sound from travelling up into the roof somehow. Gee, answering my own question...:p

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Ant said the biggest single thing to do is use Luxury liner on the places that it will fit, under the carpet. My project Capri will be getting that treatment.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I went a little over the top in my Odyssey.
Scosche deadener on the roof, all doors, rear quarter panels and rear door.
Scosche AMT250 barrier from as far up the firewall as I could get all the way to the back (on the floor).
AMT750 under the hood.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that I've gone back to the Second Skin site, I see that Luxury Liner is actually open cell foam with a vynil backer so my volara idea might not be the best.

Not familiar with Scosche stuff-- I'll have to pick some up to compare to Damplifier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts