DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a turbo Lexus SC300 that has the fuel tank in the trunk. Aftermarket fuel pump is very noisey. Right now there is no deadening on the deck lid or metal behind the back seat. I have used almost all the different kinds of dynamat and second skin products on past cars. What would you guys recommend to eliviate most of the whine??

Thanks,

Shane

·
Registered
152 Posts
How about a new fuel pump? With a noisy or one that wines, it could be an indication of an impending failure. I'm not there and can't heat it, :D so you'll have to judge that one.

·
Registered
183 Posts
How about a new fuel pump? With a noisy or one that wines, it could be an indication of an impending failure. I'm not there and can't heat it, :D so you'll have to judge that one.
It has an external pump. They are LOUD. If it is something like an aeromotive a1000. You are SOL, those things mounted outside sound like they are in the backseat. If it is something Like a Bosch 044, use rubber to isolate it from metal for mounting and it will be bearable.

Otherwise, go back to a stock tank and something like an 044 or walbro255 if it is making less than 400whp, in the tank. "race cars" arent quiet.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It will be way easier to isolate the pump as apposed to trying to do the entire trunk area. First thing will be to put an isolator between the pump and mount. They transfer a lot of energy into the body. Then I would consider building a shell around the pump with some heavy rubber inside.

If it is a Bosch 044 it can be mounted inside the tank and that will also quiet it down a bunch. Many aftermarket pumps can be mounted in or out. Something to consider.....

~JH

·
Registered
152 Posts
I know some pumps are just loud.... I agree with ^^^^^ . You can try to mount the fuel pump to isolators and go from rigid to flex fuel lines for the in, out and return (if it has one). Also, you can pick up some almn from the local big box and bend it up to fit around the pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts