DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna be getting some sound deadner from ebay soon to do my doors and I was wondering if its worth the extra money to get the 80 mil as opposed to just the 50 mil? Its going in a 2004 Pathfinder, and I'm just getting enough currently to do the doors and around the sub enclosure that I'll be building in the wall of the rear cargo area. later on if nesasary I'll do the floor and roof, but for now I figured the doors and sub were a good start.

so let me know if you think I should spend a little extra and get th 80 mil :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the seller for both is sounddeadenerdiscounts and the 80 mil is called Milla Mat and the 50 mil is FatMat

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like peal and seal dude. Have looked at read this yet? Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information

If not please do.
yeah I read it, and I just read it again. doesn't really answer the question though. I'm planning on doing the whole door inside and out, and I will be using CCF as well. I know according to that write-up its overkill, but I'd rather have too much than too little.
according to that line of thinking I should get the 80mil, but I'd like to see if people have really noticed a difference between the two.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think the point in sending you to that link was to learn about the material being used. Most here would say that FatMat type stuff is garbage. You're better off spending your money on better stuff and using correct coverage guidlines.

Do a search on this site on the subject and you're sure to find a good two dozen or so topics covering this. It's worth an hour or two of your time reading past experinece from the members here before you put your money down on something that might not give you the results you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Since I'm so pleased so far with my Alpha Damp I have to recommend you take a serious look at it. Alpha Damp Tiles You might have gotten an e-mail within the last week from ANT with a discount code as I believe that went to all DIYMA members. I bought the wood roller as well and you'll want to pick up a pair of tin snips to cut it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the point in sending you to that link was to learn about the material being used. Most here would say that FatMat type stuff is garbage. You're better off spending your money on better stuff and using correct coverage guidlines.

Do a search on this site on the subject and you're sure to find a good two dozen or so topics covering this. It's worth an hour or two of your time reading past experinece from the members here before you put your money down on something that might not give you the results you are looking for.
been there a few times now, and I read it all. I've also searched the site before I posted this thread and again last night. Apparently everybody likes to quote that link, but not many people seem to be following the recommendations. I may have only been a member here for a short time, but I've checked out a lot of the build threads, and most people I see are still covering the big areas and not just small key areas like recommended on that site. And I personally think for doors, especially big flat doors like I'm doing in a Pathfinder, I'm better off doing the whole door. I do plan on using some close cell foam to decouple the door panels as well. I'd like to do MLV but I don't think with the way the door panels hug the doors I'll be able to. So using more deadner is the next best thing.

and as far as fat mat or any of the other cheaper brand deadeners I've seen mixed reviews. I've seen a lot of people that call it crap, but almost all of them are preaching from second hand knowledge. I've also seen a lot of people say they've had good results (first hand knowledge) so I take the naysayers with a grain of salt. And since I'm a little bit frugal I'd rather get twice as much of the cheaper stuff then ride the name brand hype train.

Since I'm so pleased so far with my Alpha Damp I have to recommend you take a serious look at it. Alpha Damp Tiles You might have gotten an e-mail within the last week from ANT with a discount code as I believe that went to all DIYMA members. I bought the wood roller as well and you'll want to pick up a pair of tin snips to cut it.
I've taken a look at that, but its pretty much twice the price for 1/2 the coverage. I'm on a pretty low budget, so if I get improvements from the ebay stuff, even if its minimal I'll be happy.

I'm doing a very modest stereo, I'll probably be under $500 when I'm done using mostly used equipment I've gotten good deals from on ebay. So spending almost 1/2 that on sound deadener doesn't make much sence to me. :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've always used dynamat xtreme with great results. A lot of the low priced brands are poor quality. I would rather buy less of good quality than more of bad quality.

·
Registered
54 Posts
"and as far as fat mat or any of the other cheaper brand deadeners I've seen mixed reviews. I've seen a lot of people that call it crap, but almost all of them are preaching from second hand knowledge. I've also seen a lot of people say they've had good results (first hand knowledge) so I take the naysayers with a grain of salt. And since I'm a little bit frugal I'd rather get twice as much of the cheaper stuff then ride the name brand hype train."

Well without sounding like a jagoff, it seems like you've done all the research you can and have already made up your mind. Not sure why you'd start a topic about it. Since you've done all the research already and don't want to ride the brand name hype train then you should already know if you want 50 mil or 80mil of the cheaper stuff.

I find it amusing that you say build logs just cover the whole vehicle. Doesn't mean those guys are doing it correctly. Don't you find it at least a wee bit interesting that the brand name "hype trains" are telling you that you only need 25% coverage? If they were trying to milk you for every cent they could wouldn't it make sense for them to tell you to cover everything in multiple layers?

Again it just seems silly to ask a question and then find reasons to justify your desire to purchase the cheaper stuff when others steer you in a different direction.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I find it amusing that you say build logs just cover the whole vehicle. Doesn't mean those guys are doing it correctly. Don't you find it at least a wee bit interesting that the brand name "hype trains" are telling you that you only need 25% coverage? If they were trying to milk you for every cent they could wouldn't it make sense for them to tell you to cover everything in multiple layers?

Again it just seems silly to ask a question and then find reasons to justify your desire to purchase the cheaper stuff when others steer you in a different direction.
This is a great response. I completely understand the motivation to want to spend less and get more, but there's a lot of evidence to show it doesn't work that way with sound dampening.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"and as far as fat mat or any of the other cheaper brand deadeners I've seen mixed reviews. I've seen a lot of people that call it crap, but almost all of them are preaching from second hand knowledge. I've also seen a lot of people say they've had good results (first hand knowledge) so I take the naysayers with a grain of salt. And since I'm a little bit frugal I'd rather get twice as much of the cheaper stuff then ride the name brand hype train."

Well without sounding like a jagoff, it seems like you've done all the research you can and have already made up your mind. Not sure why you'd start a topic about it. Since you've done all the research already and don't want to ride the brand name hype train then you should already know if you want 50 mil or 80mil of the cheaper stuff.

I find it funny that I never asked anybody what brand I should get but that's the only answer I got. Yes I'm justifying my decision to buy a cheaper brand (even though I shouldnt have to) cause that's what I was planning on doing in the first place. I never asked for any criticism on my choice, I just asked if it would be worth spending a little more for something thicker.

I have read a lot on this site and the site linked, and I learned somethings there I plan to apply to my build. I appreciate all that I have learned here, but its very discouraging when I asked a question and instead of an answer I got an advertisement.

I'll let this thread die now

·
Registered
54 Posts
Especially for the amount of work involved in doing it. It's one thing to make an impulse buy on some coax's you don't like and replace them with something else.

Noise abatement is something you should want to do once correctly and be done with it. I just did this on my son's 1984 300ZX and ended up using Raamat BXTII. It may not be leading the hype train but it's at least on the track.

The doors on that thing sounded like an empty tin can. I used less than two sheets to do both doors, covered the back of the door panels with some CCF and the difference was dramatic. I thumped the metal with my knuckle and any part that sounded hollow got a small strip. It sounds like a modern car when the door closes so I know in my case not even 25% coverage was needed. 100% coverage because it looks cool to take pictures of your door covered in aluminum is not something I'm interested in.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I find it funny that I never asked anybody what brand I should get but that's the only answer I got. Yes I'm justifying my decision to buy a cheaper brand (even though I shouldnt have to) cause that's what I was planning on doing in the first place. I never asked for any criticism on my choice, I just asked if it would be worth spending a little more for something thicker.

I have read a lot on this site and the site linked, and I learned somethings there I plan to apply to my build. I appreciate all that I have learned here, but its very discouraging when I asked a question and instead of an answer I got an advertisement.

I'll let this thread die now
The people here are helping to save you money. The stuff your looking at is most likely asphault based, and will fail. Not a problem if you have a beater you dont plan on keeping long, but not ideal on any nice car.

You say that your only going to spend $500 on your stereo, and you dont see a reason to spend more than $250 on sound deadening. Im going to counter that. Spend $500 on deadening, and $250 on the stereo, and your stereo will sound better. All the money thrown at speakers and head units wont help with all the problem sounds you have to deal with in a car that interupt your stereo from sounding good. However, sound deadening will, and will help whatever stereo you have sound better. Sound deadening is one of THE most important things to do to a car.

The 25% rule isnt always correct. There are plenty of times that installs call for more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts