DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Since there seems to be some debate here as to whether or not noico contains asphalt. I ordered some 2 weeks ago and could easily smell the asphalt (I returned it via amazon). I have Kno Knoise Kolossus, damp pro, and nvx dampener on hand and these do not have any odor, even when heated up with a heat gun (haven't tried the NVX deadener with heat yet).
This is so weird ??? I even did mine on a pretty warm day. Had it laying in the sun to soften it up a little before applying it. Didn't even smell it when I first pulled the backing off ? Since then, we have had several well over 100 degree days. Still zero smell or failure that I know of.

·
Registered
776 Posts
awesome. Have you used their products before? If you have, you obviously know they're good. I have no problem posting these now as their doors have been closed for over a year, but if you want to see frequency response and waterfall response comparisons of SDS vs ResoNix Squares, just PM me your email and I can send you the .mdat file

Oh, so you don't go direct to factory...

Thankfully our foam is very compressible, which is what sets it apart from typical closed cell foams available in the US

1) Yes, 5 yards (67.5 square feet) of 10mm thick foam for 180 bucks. Id be willing to bet that you cant find a comparable CCF (similar compression deflection, compression set, adhesive quality, etc..) for even close to that price.

2) Our foam is not made out of polyethylene. good guess though..?

that's perfectly fine. I only sell to people who want the best, not the cheapest :)
I want the best, cheapest :) Its called, "best value".

·
Registered
845 Posts
This is so weird ??? I even did mine on a pretty warm day. Had it laying in the sun to soften it up a little before applying it. Didn't even smell it when I first pulled the backing off ? Since then, we have had several well over 100 degree days. Still zero smell or failure that I know of.
Agreed. I have to wonder if he was actually smelling asphalt - or if he was confusing a "rubbery" smell with an asphalt smell. Personally, I didn't notice ANY smell at all with Noico, but they do say that there may be a "technical" smell at first that goes away rather quickly. Maybe it depends on how "fresh" it is from the factory or something like that?

I've had Noico installed on my one car for years now and have never smelled anything at all - under any circumstances. Nor has it melted at all - and I even installed it on the roof - one of the places where you'd have issues if there were any issues to have.

People talk about "confirmation bias" all of the time, maybe it was a "confirmation bias" smell - maybe he was expecting it to smell like asphalt, so his mind told him it did. ;-)

I'd love to send some of it off to be analyzed in order to put this to bed for good. Although, honestly, if it works (it does for me) there is no smell (there isn't for me) and it doesn't melt (it doesn't for me), then I really don't care if there is some asphalt in it or not.

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
Agreed. I have to wonder if he was actually smelling asphalt - or if he was confusing a "rubbery" smell with an asphalt smell. Personally, I didn't notice ANY smell at all with Noico, but they do say that there may be a "technical" smell at first that goes away rather quickly. Maybe it depends on how "fresh" it is from the factory or something like that?
So noico is, from what I understand, a rebrand of STP silver. This is what we used to use when I worked at the shop in Manhattan. Now that you say it, some batches didn't smell. Some did. Could be related to how fresh they are. I know when SDS was around, their butyl rope would start to smell differently over time

People talk about "confirmation bias" all of the time, maybe it was a "confirmation bias" smell - maybe he was expecting it to smell like asphalt, so his mind told him it did. ;-)
To be fair, he said he returned it once he smelled it. If he expected that, I doubt he would have purchased it in the first place.

I'd love to send some of it off to be analyzed in order to put this to bed for good. Although, honestly, if it works (it does for me) there is no smell (there isn't for me) and it doesn't melt (it doesn't for me), then I really don't care if there is some asphalt in it or not.
I've actually been looking into this to pitch the idea to 2stub to add this to the CLD testing he will be doing. I have a feeling that mass spectrometry on multiple products will NOT be cheap though :/. This would be sweet though, figuring out which CLD's have what percentage of fillers to make them seem appealing.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
I can appreciate that. Best value is subjective without data though

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I love how you love data skizer. It appeals to me as a scientist. Ive passed your sd page onto my oz AF distributor. But i still have a question. I had an awesome job done for noise and heat with dyna products but is there anything in your line that adresses issues dyna doesnt? An interesting point. Despite the superiority of your product on noise dyna may be best for me as i have significant heat issues too. But i guess you could do a hybrid install. Yours for noise dyna for heat. Ive. Posted this before but i
Apparently Adelaide won the award for the hottest capital city recently.
46.6 °C (115.9 °F), 24 January 2019
Highest minimum is good too:
Hottest Minimum: 33.9 °C (93.0 °F), 29 January 2009.
Black 4WD station wagon many square metres of glass and cubic metres of air. So fricking hot and the aircon just keeps up on a hot day. And it's a noisy turbo diesel. After the dyna treatment it's so much quieter. Like a luxury car. I got the full dyna treatment. Hoodliner, thick stuff on the floors, ceiling, doors etc. It was about AU$3700 for materials. $700 labour. The guy that did it has tiny hands and he's double jointed and a complete genius. They put the whole car back together and you couldn't even tell they'd taken it apart.
It gets up to 50 in the outback too. Heat performance has been outstanding

·
Registered
776 Posts
I love how you love data skizer. It appeals to me as a scientist. Ive passed your sd page onto my oz AF distributor. But i still have a question. I had an awesome job done for noise and heat with dyna products but is there anything in your line that adresses issues dyna doesnt? An interesting point. Despite the superiority of your product on noise dyna may be best for me as i have significant heat issues too. But i guess you could do a hybrid install. Yours for noise dyna for heat. Ive. Posted this before but i
Apparently Adelaide won the award for the hottest capital city recently.
46.6 °C (115.9 °F), 24 January 2019
Highest minimum is good too:
Hottest Minimum: 33.9 °C (93.0 °F), 29 January 2009.
Black 4WD station wagon many square metres of glass and cubic metres of air. So fricking hot and the aircon just keeps up on a hot day. And it's a noisy turbo diesel. After the dyna treatment it's so much quieter. Like a luxury car. I got the full dyna treatment. Hoodliner, thick stuff on the floors, ceiling, doors etc. It was about AU$3700 for materials. $700 labour. The guy that did it has tiny hands and he's double jointed and a complete genius. They put the whole car back together and you couldn't even tell they'd taken it apart.
It gets up to 50 in the outback too. Heat performance has been outstanding

115 is about as hot as we ever get in Sacramento too.... Albeit with very low 10-15 % humidity. Not bad at all in the shade with a cold drink 🙂

I've read that my Noico is heat tested to 212F long term, and much hotter for short bursts. Also, that the roof of a black vehicle might get to 205F on a 100F day, totally sealed. My truck is a metallic brown, probably not quite as hot as black.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
115 is about as hot as we ever get in Sacramento too.... Albeit with very low 10-15 % humidity. Not bad at all in the shade with a cold drink 🙂

I've read that my Noico is heat tested to 212F long term, and much hotter for short bursts. Also, that the roof of a black vehicle might get to 205F on a 100F day, totally sealed. My truck is a metallic brown, probably not quite as hot as black.
Dyna was amazing for heat. Turned that sub into a passenger seat for the ladies yet 🤣

·
Registered
845 Posts
Honestly, I don't think that anyone doubts that Resonix outperforms Noico. If they were the same price, I'm sure more people would choose Resonix. But Noico is significantly cheaper and works well enough for most people.

It's really no different than some people will buy a Dayton DSP even though a Helix DSP is "better". It all boils down to what someone is willing to spend and how good is "good enough".

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
Honestly, I don't think that anyone doubts that Resonix outperforms Noico. If they were the same price, I'm sure more people would choose Resonix. But Noico is significantly cheaper and works well enough for most people.

It's really no different than some people will buy a Dayton DSP even though a Helix DSP is "better". It all boils down to what someone is willing to spend and how good is "good enough".
I had the opportunity since we were doing some deadening anyway, so thought "might as well". Ya know?:

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
I did fuck up though, i forgot to take a measurement when the CLD was removed to get a reference :/

·
Registered
180 Posts

I've had Noico installed on my one car for years now and have never smelled anything at all - under any circumstances. Nor has it melted at all - and I even installed it on the roof - one of the places where you'd have issues if there were any issues to have.

I'm familiar with the smell of asphalt dampener as I have removed some from my car's rear quarter panels prior to ordering the noico product. I think we would see more negative reviews if the smell was prevalent, so I can only contribute my experience.

So noico is, from what I understand, a rebrand of STP silver. This is what we used to use when I worked at the shop in Manhattan. Now that you say it, some batches didn't smell. Some did. Could be related to how fresh they are. I know when SDS was around, their butyl rope would start to smell differently over time

To be fair, he said he returned it once he smelled it. If he expected that, I doubt he would have purchased it in the first place.

I've actually been looking into this to pitch the idea to 2stub to add this to the CLD testing he will be doing. I have a feeling that mass spectrometry on multiple products will NOT be cheap though :/. This would be sweet though, figuring out which CLD's have what percentage of fillers to make them seem appealing.
I've got some old SDS butyl rope here. Has a rubbery kinda smell but nothing much. Its probably been laying around for a few years at this point so who knows if it will even stick.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Point of clarity:

I am NOT asking about the brand
. I don't want to feed the ongoing crap-fest. I think that's been done to death.

All I want to know is if you guys have used this particular product that uses two layers bonded together. Thanks!

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
Point of clarity:

I am NOT asking about the brand
. I don't want to feed the ongoing crap-fest. I think that's been done to death.

All I want to know is if you guys have used this particular product that uses two layers bonded together. Thanks!
I've used the cascade audio version of it. Its just a product that takes away one step of the install. That said, I believe the ccf is too stiff. Not very compliant.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
I buy separate just because i lay ccf in between cables like oem cloth insulation, than tape cables with tesa and just cover everything with mlv.
When i was laying insulation for first time i just cover whole car with cld ccf and mlv. It was a big pile of mess and basically ruined car but in the end it was a crap car anyway. It is better to have those materials separate in garage because with more experience you start to approach more tactical and efficient. Everywhere where is mid,bass need heavy treatment. In some cars you cant never get rid of that last tiny resonance.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 80 Posts