DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOUNDSTREAM REPAIRS:
Hello, my name is Wade Stewart. I am the engineer that designed and manufactured all Soundstream amplifiers and crossovers from 1981 through 2002. all REFERENCE and CLASS A’S. I am semi-retired now and am interested in repairing all 'old school' SS amplifiers. I will answer any questions you might have about those products, I can Repair, Rebuild and Upgrade all amplifiers.:cool:
if you have any Soundstream amps you want fixed just contact me.

Contact me at: [email protected]

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have a general question about an the sub amplifier in my home speaker. It's 20 years old now and today it started humming rather loudly. I suspect that a filter capacitor has gone bad. Any ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a general question about an the sub amplifier in my home speaker. It's 20 years old now and today it started humming rather loudly. I suspect that a filter capacitor has gone bad. Any ideas?
If you can get sound but there is a hum it's probably the filter capacitors. Since it is in a sub speaker it can be that the capacitor has a broken lead from the vibation. You should be able to repair that yourself. If it is humming but you can't get any sound it might be blown output transistors.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you can get sound but there is a hum it's probably the filter capacitors. Since it is in a sub speaker it can be that the capacitor has a broken lead from the vibation. You should be able to repair that yourself. If it is humming but you can't get any sound it might be blown output transistors.
Thanks. I'll check it when I get home. I didn't try using it after it started making noise because I didn't want it to turn to toast on me.

·
Banned
299 Posts
Maybe Im tripping, and if so I apologize, but I thought I remember reading he passed away or was really ill and a number of people were respectfully attempting to get their items returned to little avail.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Maybe Im tripping, and if so I apologize, but I thought I remember reading he passed away or was really ill and a number of people were respectfully attempting to get their items returned to little avail.
How long ago did you hear this? I'm trying to get a hold of him for some repair but haven't received a reply yet. I'll try giving him a call...

·
Banned
299 Posts
How long ago did you hear this? I'm trying to get a hold of him for some repair but haven't received a reply yet. I'll try giving him a call...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/technical-advanced-car-audio-discussion/108687-anyone-know-what-happened-wade-stewart-ref-500-help.html?amp=1

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/industry-shop-talk/81211-soundstream-amplifier-repair-6.html?amp=1

Like I said, Im not sure but none of these are very favorable threads. Could be a different gentleman.

Time flies. Sure doesn’t seem that long ago.

·
Registered
330 Posts
A quick click on User Name and Public Profile shows the he, or someone who has access to his account, has been on here within the last 2 weeks.

:shrug:

Attachments

·
Banned
299 Posts
...sounds pretty shady then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice to see somebody offering such a great service to the community!
I just swapped a stereo receiver for an excellent condition non-functional Reference 500.
I emailed you to see if you would want to take a look at it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts