DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought back a SPL160 I owned and used back in 1997, sold it then and it has not been used ever since. Back then I had it in a 1,5 cubic feet sealed box, running off a SS Rubicon 1002, and I remember it to be tight and musical in that box, but it would be interesting to try to maximize its potensial in the lower region. The manual for it suggest anything from IB, small sealed, medium ported (3-4 cu.ft) to large bandpass (6-7 cu.ft) boxes. Maybe someone in here have any experience with this sub?

My car is a small hatchback (Mitsubishi Colt), I have about 4 cu.ft available for the box. It will be powered by a Hertz EP1D giving 800w [email protected]

Any feedback here would be greatly appreciated :)

Haakon Ottesen
Norway

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I have the original enclosure design manuals for all the old school Soundstream subwoofers. The specs and recommended dimensions for each configuration (sealed, ported, bandpass, etc) are provided for each driver, along with design recommendations for different types of music listening tastes. If this would be of interest to you, let me know.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The shop I worked at back then had a demo car ('96 Merc. Cougar) W/2-SPL160's in it. There were multiple enclosures in that car, but the bast sounding one was a heavily braced 1.75cu' per driver sealed with roll on acoustic dampning inside the box and a Ref1000s on each firing through the seat. The SPL enclosure was a 4th order BP with port sitting on the rear deck (I have long forgotten the specs sorry), 157db, sounded like garbage though. We played with many sealed boxes for this sub and always 1.5-2cu' sealed was the best depending on application. Ported boxes get loud and "hit" hard, but always prefered the sound of the sealed enclosures. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I had that same sub (15") back '96 in a 3.5 cf ported enclosure (can't remember what it was tuned at) powered off a SS Reference 300, then a Rockford Punch 200DSM & it sounded really nice.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Forgot to mention it was in a '92 Cutlass if that helps you any further.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
If you can get the thiel smalls for it, model it in winISD.. see what happens..

That's one hell of a sub, I remember when they came out.. started a whole new SPL revolution..

·
Registered
681 Posts
One of my favorite memories of that sub goes like this- There was a guy in WI who had 8 of them in a 2 door Blazer. I believe that he was running a pair off of an SS Class A6.0 and every time the bass hit his Clarion deck (the super sweet one with the analog pot) would skip. Man that thing was a ground pounder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts