DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harmonic Bass Alignment™
The 2nd and 3rd order harmonic peaks are critically aligned to fundamental peaks at low frequencies. This produces tighter, more accurate bass reproduction.

What do you think this actually means? Its a feature on my HRU amps. Does this mean the amp changes the way bass sounds?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
yes it does. this is the technology called "maxxbass" look it up. great concept, but i've always questioned maxxbassing a maxxbassed song. some artists use it already. it means they play 100hz, 120hz and 152.3hz together to sound like 60hz and therefore don't damage your speakers, nor does it shake your car.

thats the way I understand what is stated there.

·
Banned
388 Posts
???

normally these devices restore the missing fundamental from the harmonics. If 80 Hz is the 2nd harmonic, then it will create a 40 Hz tone at the same amlpitude. The maxxbass thing seems to operate differently, it provides different material to make you THINK the 40Hz tone is there because the puny speaker (think speakers built into TV's and laptops) cannot actually play that low.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
well it either does epicenter or maxxbass. personally, i don't like my amps f-ing with my music that much.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
???

normally these devices restore the missing fundamental from the harmonics. If 80 Hz is the 2nd harmonic, then it will create a 40 Hz tone at the same amlpitude. The maxxbass thing seems to operate differently, it provides different material to make you THINK the 40Hz tone is there because the puny speaker (think speakers built into TV's and laptops) cannot actually play that low.
If you go down the notes on a piano at some point, depending on the piano, if you listen very carefully you can hear the fundamental disappear. This why I HATE those charts that show a piano playing super low, sans a specific Bosendorfer. While causal listening you will not hear the fundamental go away or if you are not trained to listen for it. Your brain does a VERY effective job of filling int he missing parts. Unlike the epicenter or DBX process it does not generate subsonic information but rather the harmonics of subsonic information, your brain fills in the rest. I have used the maxxbass unit in trickery in rooms that subs light up and cause mechanical noise.

Another thing, a harmonic cannot be lower than the fundamental ;)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So its some kind of active restoration adding to whats not really there?

I dont care either way. After running tons of high end amps, I have to say that these HRU amps are the best Ive ran for many reasons other than sheer size.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
No, it likely adds harmonics of what an epicenter would add, at least the maxxbass does, then your brain fills in the "missing" synthesized fundamental.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, it likely adds harmonics of what an epicenter would add, at least the maxxbass does, then your brain fills in the "missing" synthesized fundamental.
Hmm, I made a thread earlier about "Subwoofer FS" asking how this set of three Boston G5 10's are able to play so low. As in subsonics.

I recently switched to the Boston G5 10s and HRU.2 amp at the same time, could this mean the amp is actually responsible for the perceived low end output and not the subs?

The true test will be when I run my IDMax's with the HRU.2. Im very familiar with how the IDmaxs sound since I ran them for about 2 years with many different sub amps. I always added some EQ in the 20hz range just for fun, but with this G5 10/ HRU.2 combo, NO EQ was needed.

·
Banned
388 Posts
If you go down the notes on a piano at some point, depending on the piano, if you listen very carefully you can hear the fundamental disappear. This why I HATE those charts that show a piano playing super low, sans a specific Bosendorfer. While causal listening you will not hear the fundamental go away or if you are not trained to listen for it. Your brain does a VERY effective job of filling int he missing parts. Unlike the epicenter or DBX process it does not generate subsonic information but rather the harmonics of subsonic information, your brain fills in the rest. I have used the maxxbass unit in trickery in rooms that subs light up and cause mechanical noise.

Another thing, a harmonic cannot be lower than the fundamental ;)
Although I had never heard of or seen this maxxbass thing, that's what it sounded like it was doing from the webpage. I might have to read up on this, funny how easily the brain is tricked.

And yes, I know about harmonics - they are whole number multiples of the fundamental, sorry if I misled anyone.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
I used it in mastering for techno artists that give out promo CD's at shows, it's a Waves device and a plugin, in fact I can't remember if the HW or the SW came first to be honest. 9 times out of 10 the CD went in to mom and dad's Camary or Accord stereo, or their shiotbox in their bedroom, listened to once, and forgotten, it's just a promo. Adding more apparent low end to a weaksause playback method, I feel, really gave us an edge. At least according to feedback.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts