DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

sourcing info on period install late 80's

8K views 40 replies 14 participants last post by  Zippy 
#1 ·
Hi,
Ive got myself a mint condition Honda Civic -87 that Id like to beef up with some period correct SQ-install. Since it from Japan, Id like most of the stuff to be "made in Japan" :cool:

Obviously, Nakamichi comes to mind but not sure what gear were used in the late 80's/early 90'. Its hard to comeby but Ive seen some gear on ebay, like the PA300II and newer PA301/302/304. Not sure tho when they stopped the manufacturing in Japan.

Thanks for all info, I know there are some of you "old-skool" pro's on this forum. :)

#5 ·
Just a bit newer than your car but an Eclipse ECD series head unit would flow very well with that dash not to mention that have great SQ.

Amp wise maybe an older Nakamichi or an Alpine.

As far as speakers go I myself would buy newer speakers. Especially if they won't be seen anyways (using factory locations). I feel you would benefit from the newer speaker technology as well as not have to deal with the degradation that even NOS/NIB old school speakers have faced while be stored over the years. I use Hybrid Audio Technologies speakers in all my old school installs.

#6 ·
for decks you can also go old school Alpine as they were made in Japan.

#7 ·
I like Alpine for the head unit, especially but are you trying to do a "popular items from the 80's" kind of thing, or maybe an old school set-up using the stuff that didn't define the era?

There's a lot from that period, stuff like Autotek, that were regionally successful, Alphasonik was still kicking, even Technics! and the Panasonic stuff...

but I remember Rockford, Hafler, Orion, Linear Power and Zapco for sure, Clarion Pro Audio was popular, Sony had a good run with their XM-series, ah well.....

I think I'd do something off the wall, something recognizable, like the old JBL T-line, or BABB's dual cone, metal waterproof speakers with no spider, or a full West German made complement of felt cones, whatever brand. Like Visonik, or Canton, or something like that.

or A/D/S/, I imagine you could do a whole system around that company without deck of course...

#8 ·
Hylsan. I am doing the same in a 87 Conquest. Found a Eclipse head unit and some Eclipse separates and 12 inch sub. Really am considering using to new Soundstream Reference 5 channel and maybe polish it up and re screen it. Pullout deck FTW! :) Just hope it will come out past the shifter. :worried:

#9 ·
Thanks for all input!

Well as I mentioned in the OP, Id like it to come close to what was used in late 80s and early 90's. The only other criteria Ive got is that its labeled "Made in Japan" :)

Alpine would work, got a offer on a Eclipse 4311 cassette deck and ESD-430 changer.
Anyone know the sound quality on this set? JuiceMan, was it this one you refered to?
Never listen to Eclipse-deck so...compared to a Alpine?
Know Eclipse are supposed to be really good stuff SQ.

Yeah, speakers are probably going to be something newer. Whats manufactured in Japan theese days?

#10 ·
Thanks for all input!

Well as I mentioned in the OP, Id like it to come close to what was used in late 80s and early 90's. The only other criteria Ive got is that its labeled "Made in Japan" :)

Alpine would work, got a offer on a Eclipse 4311 cassette deck and ESD-430 changer.
That setup would work well. If you don't really desire to play any cassettes I would still go ahead and buy that package and use the 4311 until you can find maybe an Eclipse ECD-415. They pop up on eBay about once every three or four months and seem to bring around $120 in awesome shape. That will link up with the ESD-430 (which is actually pretty tough to find!) and provide great SQ.

When working with the older Eclipse stuff I recommend always making sure it comes with all the wiring needed for install. United Radio (Google them) carries some of the older Eclipse wiring and accessories however the supply
Is quickly drying up, especially on things like CD changer cables.

On a sidenote; I have something you may be interested in that would be absolutely period correct for your install also rare as heck and brand new in box! I'll shoot you a PM about it.

#12 ·
sadly the shipping and taxes kills all deals not from within Europe :(

Found a mint 5959 cd-changer in germany, on its way to me.
Dont want a cd-unit so the 7909 isnt gonna work, what other units is good and period?

Ive read that the 7618 is as good. The 7659r is also spoken well of, but might be too new?
Others includes 7620e, 7294r, 7288..

All input is welcome since I cant listen to them myself :)

#14 ·
Another question, this time about the amps.
Besides the 3558, what else is there?
Searching ebay gives me loads of diffrent 35XX, but are all good and period?
ex. 3522/23, 3541, 3550, 3554
I noticed that one of these were made in Korea, are they all?

I will need 6 channels front and one/two for sub.

#17 ·
Don't Forget Clarion/Audia, they were made in Japan. I know of a store that has dozens of late 80's, early 90's clarion speakers NIB if you wanted to take a stab at them.

#20 ·
My bad... I figured that if he was going with a 5959 he would be somewhat concerned about sound quality. My experience with RF modulator linked stuff hasn't been the best. Just seems like it would be a very weak link in such a quality system. But to each his own! Good look with the build good sir.

#21 ·
I have a 5953 controller for that 5959 changer that I might be willing to part with along with the Nak PA-300ii amp. The 5953 is the cleanest way to run a 5959, you can pull the output directly from the changer and use a master volume knob and just use the 5953 to control changer functions. I even have the 5953 DIN mounting kit as well as the RCA adapter to get the RCAs directly from the changer. I may be able to fit the amp and the changer controller all in a single flat rate box for $80.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.