DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru WRX Base 6-speed
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a hold of some 5/8” & 3/4” clear acrylic (or plexiglass) wondering if that’s a good material to make speaker adapter out of. Currently have what I think is blown PVC for my rear door speakers and wondered if its worth the effort to use. 12”wide and 6+feet long. So I o got plenty to tinker with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
It's not the best material, it doesn't machine well, so it likes to crack when you cut it, and drill holes. If you are careful, I'm sure you can get it to work, but it is pretty brittle compared to HDPE, so since you have it it's worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Those are some expensive sheets! If you’re making adapters using that material you have to have the right router bits and they need to be sharp. Plus it’s not a very forgiving material. It can be very dangerous if you’re not familiar with using it. If a router grabs it just let go and deal with the results. Better to lose the material than a finger. HDPE is much easier to work with; but sometimes we use what we have. Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok that seems to be a no go then. Don’t have a router to cut it with, only a jigsaw. Customer traded his truck in about a month ago and didn’t want to come back for it! Should I sell it? Pretty good amount there.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
My least favorite material to work with. Very unforgiving! Yes sell it! Sh!ts high as giraffe pu$$y!

·
Registered
758 Posts
You can work with it with the right equipment. But, seeing as you don't have that equipment, SELL IT !!
You can get a 💰 for that if you can find the right customer.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
You might be able to make a killer sub enclosure out of it if you have a table saw. But, that stuff is too thick and unforgiving to cut with a typical router. A jig saw would just butcher a nice material.

Those are some pretty expensive sheets there. You could sell them and put the money to better use than making speaker rings. You said you already had some PVC laying around. That works OK. I prefer HDPE though.
BuyPlastic Black HDPE Boat Board, Marine Grade Plastic Sheet 1/2" x 12" x 12", High Density Polyethylene Panel: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Reactions: chrisp2493

·
Registered
5,049 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If anyone here wants it just pm me, just pay for shipping and it’s yours! Ge0 thanks for the link! I can borrow a table saw and making a box out of that would be killer but I like my corner fiberglass enclosure in my trunk, looks factory and unobtrusive. DaveG and DeLander, not sure who would be “the right customer” but I’ll give it a shot anyways. Hmmm a “floating” amp rack

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Facebook market place or if there’s a good shop in your area maybe work a trade. That really is some high dollar stuff and is worth something to the right person.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 DC Tundra 4x4
205 Posts
If you had a high speed mill with very rigid setup, used new cutters, took shallow passes, and stayed away from the edge it would cut marginally well, but it s freeking unpredictable material.

·
Premium Member
2007 DC Tundra 4x4
205 Posts
It would be worth it to find a machine shop that would/could cut that stuff. I ve always wanted a layered, see through enclosure, but plastic would be a ***** to work with. This vid shows the technique.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have to make some offset speaker adapters, ans was planning to us acrylic because I can bond together the layers. What are you using to bond HDPE, or should I just ABS?

To the OP, I am sure you can find a local CA shop that would be happy to trade you for the acrylic you have

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all for the ideas with what to do with this, I’m definitely not gonna get rid of it. Thing to stash it until I find a buyer or something I can work out.

That stacked enclosure would be cool but hyper expensive I would imagine!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts