DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
All of the speaker adaptors and mounts in my cars are acrylic. I can't think of any drawbacks to using acrylic for this. I'd absolutely use it if you have it sitting around.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
All of the speaker adaptors and mounts in my cars are acrylic. I can't think of any drawbacks to using acrylic for this. I'd absolutely use it if you have it sitting around.
If you have access to a laser it’s great. If you have limited tools not so much. It’s brittle so it cracks and chips easy. And expensive! Again, my least favorite material to work with.

·
Registered
177 Posts
So I got a hold of some 5/8” & 3/4” clear acrylic (or plexiglass) wondering if that’s a good material to make speaker adapter out of. Currently have what I think is blown PVC for my rear door speakers and wondered if its worth the effort to use. 12”wide and 6+feet long. So I o got plenty to tinker with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any plastic that is a little soft and doesn't crack is best

·
Registered
19,067 Posts
It's not the best material, it doesn't machine well, so it likes to crack when you cut it, and drill holes. If you are careful, I'm sure you can get it to work, but it is pretty brittle compared to HDPE, so since you have it it's worth a shot.
ummmmm, cast acrylic machines very well.... Dont use cheap home depot extruded acrylic and use the proper tools and you wont have a problem

Reactions: dobslob

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
ummmmm, cast acrylic machines very well.... Dont use cheap home depot extruded acrylic and use the proper tools and you wont have a problem
Do you know what kind of acrylic is pictured? I don't. I do, however know that the OP was planning on using a jigsaw to cut it, so the "proper tools" requirement isn't likely to be met.

·
Registered
19,067 Posts
Do you know what kind of acrylic is pictured? I don't. I do, however know that the OP was planning on using a jigsaw to cut it, so the "proper tools" requirement isn't likely to be met.
It looks like cast. That said, they make acrylic jigsaw blades that cut through this stuff like butter

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
HDPE

Cuts best with a skip tooth blade.

Red = 0.125ms faster decay time :geek:

·
Registered
2019 Subaru WRX Base 6-speed
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
You guys are giving me ideas that tempts me into spending some time on this stuff!!. Nick, I don't know where it came from honestly, I can say its heavy as F___ and still has the plastic wrapper on pretty much all of it. Buddy of mine is gonna print up some adapters out of extra material he's got for my free of charge. How's that compare to this stuff?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru WRX Base 6-speed
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
[mention]Truthunter [/mention] those look beautiful man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 33 of 33 Posts