DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Well I know with subs the cone doesn’t matter all that much. I have a w7 that had a ripped edge going around the cone and some other holes in the middle where it attached to the dust cap. I just built it all back up with dryer sheets and glue and I put it side by side with another identical w7 and there was hardly any difference at all.

It’s weird, I actually slightly prefer the sound of the dryer sheet cone sub over the brand new w7. Maybe it has more distortion and my ears like it, idk. But I don’t think I could reliably pick which one was which in a blind AB test though.

It seems hearing is so inextricably linked to feelings that the interpretation of sound becomes a personal belief system. Whatever you want to hear, you can hear given the right confirmation bias.
There's a guy on Audiogon who sells "magic pebbles" in little jars. I didn't commit the name of product to memory, because it was such a hoodoo load of horse crap, all I could do was ROTFL that people would purchase such nonsense.

They sell for like $99/pair of jars, and he has loads of reviews about how astonishing the pebbles made people's systems. 🤣

As for cables, nothing trumps Ohm's law. The best cables you can buy or make merely transmit the signal with as little loss/RFI/EMI as possible.

Capacitance and Inductance can also spoil a signal.

Any cable over $100/pair is a complete waste, unless it's some specialized cable designed for extremely long runs.

·
Registered
562 Posts
There was a guy at Steel Valley Regionals this year that was selling magnets to place on your amplifiers that eliminated all noise and made your amps sound way better. I avoided that guy like he had Covid.

·
Registered
552 Posts
@GotFrogs What do you think of those carbon fibre and balsa wood cored cones that keep the cone shape pistonic through region “2”? The accuton may also have some similarly stiff cone, which is more a function of the cone thickness than the cone material. Maybe a plastic and nomex honeycomb cone would be another way to get a stiffer cone to move region “1” out to extend through region “2”?
Anything that makes the cone stiffer will move that transition up and reduce low frequency peaks and dips. It either works or it doesn't work and a good frequency response measurement will confirm that it works or doesn't work no matter what the marketing says about the materials. This is pretty straightforward.

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
@GotFrogs og
Does that “2“ region start further to the right at low volume, and move to the left slightly when it is cranked up?
and…
Is it stable overtime? does does the cone itself loose stiffness?

·
Registered
552 Posts
@GotFrogs og
Does that “2“ region start further to the right at low volume, and move to the left slightly when it is cranked up?
and…
Is it stable overtime? does does the cone itself loose stiffness?
1. yes, maybe, but it depends on the material and how stiff it actually is.
2. Maybe, depends on the material and the conditions in which the unit operates.

·
Registered
19,520 Posts
There was a guy at Steel Valley Regionals this year that was selling magnets to place on your amplifiers that eliminated all noise and made your amps sound way better. I avoided that guy like he had Covid.
Unfortunately I couldn't. He was a nice guy though. I almost wish these guys were not nice so I had no problem telling them to piss off lol

·
Registered
476 Posts
There's a lot of anthropomorphisization in the marketing of audio products. In some cases, much more attention is paid to designing words to describe performance in a way that seems plausible to people who don't know how this works. My example above was such an exercise--as a retort to the same.
Do you mean the misuse of anthropomorphisization was such an exercise? Or your previous post?
Classic marketing tactics. Flax, papyrus,wood pulp, paper = lignin reenforced cellulose

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
Do you mean the misuse of anthropomorphisization was such an exercise? Or your previous post?
Classic marketing tactics. Flax, papyrus,wood pulp, paper = lignin reenforced cellulose
Quit giving him a bunch of flax. ;)

Reactions: DoubleCrown

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
It was a honest question, like it was an example to see if anyone picked up on. My bad.
Sure it's just water off a frogs back
I was supposed to be a joke… “Flack” which sounds a bit like Flax. :)

I usually put in a smiley if there is a joke there…:cool:

Reactions: DoubleCrown

·
Registered
552 Posts
I mean things like:

"the amplifier doesn't have to work so hard"
"the sound was effortless"
"blacker blacks"
"the electrons have to jump from one strand to the other"
"amplifiers that don't WANT to stay on or speakers that don't WANT to play low frequencies"
car interiors that have some crazy and inexplicable and unpredictable effect on sound such that you just have to play with ****
bass that's "chocolaty"

or statements about performance that link two things for which the ACTUAL attributes are linked only in the words used to describe them--

or statements in which two different attributes that share a commonality are somehow interrelated from a performance perspective: since exotic materials are rare and so is a perfect speaker cone material, then a rare material must be a great speaker cone material or speakers made from MDMA for house music and natural materials for acoustic music.

Or other silliness like when a non techncial word is used in place of a technical word but it is chosen because it adds a sense of something intangible--like substituting "the right tone" for "the right frequency response" as a way to suggest that tone is something that includes frequency response but also transcends that which can be easily measured and characterized

That kind of ********.

Obviously, to anthropomorphize something it to assign human attributes to it--talking deer, singing monkeys and horses--think Disney.

Somtimes these phrases are used as obvious fiction to describe the way the sound affects US when we hear it--the chocolaty bass, for example. This is a metaphor. But when those kinds of words are used in a technical discussion, then there can't be much of a discussion because the languages are different. To say "the blacks were blacker" is to say, "there was no noise". But just try to get those two people to agree that those mean the same thing.

·
Registered
476 Posts
He might be interested in my new Himalayan salt headlight lamps.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I mean things like:

"the amplifier doesn't have to work so hard"
"the sound was effortless"
"blacker blacks"
"the electrons have to jump from one strand to the other"
"amplifiers that don't WANT to stay on or speakers that don't WANT to play low frequencies"
car interiors that have some crazy and inexplicable and unpredictable effect on sound such that you just have to play with ****
bass that's "chocolaty"

or statements about performance that link two things for which the ACTUAL attributes are linked only in the words used to describe them--

or statements in which two different attributes that share a commonality are somehow interrelated from a performance perspective: since exotic materials are rare and so is a perfect speaker cone material, then a rare material must be a great speaker cone material or speakers made from MDMA for house music and natural materials for acoustic music.

Or other silliness like when a non techncial word is used in place of a technical word but it is chosen because it adds a sense of something intangible--like substituting "the right tone" for "the right frequency response" as a way to suggest that tone is something that includes frequency response but also transcends that which can be easily measured and characterized

That kind of ****.

Obviously, to anthropomorphize something it to assign human attributes to it--talking deer, singing monkeys and horses--think Disney.

Somtimes these phrases are used as obvious fiction to describe the way the sound affects US when we hear it--the chocolaty bass, for example. This is a metaphor. But when those kinds of words are used in a technical discussion, then there can't be much of a discussion because the languages are different. To say "the blacks were blacker" is to say, "there was no noise". But just try to get those two people to agree that those mean the same thing.
Woofer and tweeters are beastialised names. Woofers go Woof like a dog and tweeters go tweet tweet like a bird.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I’m just looking for the MDMA subs…the 90’s were fun.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts