DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
BMW X5 > Helix SDMI25 > V-Eight DSP + JL Amp > L7 Speakers + Ultimo SC10 in JL Stealth Sub (X5)
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to replace the OEM Logic 7 (H&K) 4" mids in my E70/ X5 with OEM Individual audio speakers.
The speaker connectors look different (not sure)

Can anyone here confirm if the speaker connectors are different from Logic 7?
If yes, any links to OEM connectors/ any place to source them would be really helpful.

Any other suggestions for 4" mids + tweeters (new or used) for under ~usd 300/- per pair, or speaker adapters to mount them in an X5?

Cheers!

· Registered
5 Posts
I cannot confirm whether connectors are they same, however I would assume they are between those two audio packages. The logic 7 uses a fiber optic signal from idrive to amp, as does the individual audio package, however there is an uprated amplifier.

I know the individual under seat woofers are the same style connector as hifi, however base has a second pair of wires running to the doors, but in this instance the connectors are all interchangeable, the non base model woofers just have one set of terminals.

Personally I would be weary of the cost to convert to the individual audio speakers versus performance increase. A lot of that higher fidelity comes from the added power of the individual amp and I know there are some impedance changes between the speakers.

I have a e70 35d that came with base audio, I ended up doing infinity kappa perfect 5 1/4 with the kappa perfect 3.5” midrange in the factory door spots. I was able to make mounting brackets with the factory speakers.

To do it all over again, I would upgrade to the bowers and Wilkins from the newer models, with an aftermarket dsp and amplifier. You would need a signal summing dsp to do this or recode to hifi.

Also, the factory CIC stereo does not put out a very high quality signal from what I’ve read. Bluetooth with compression sounds better than going through the Aux, which is a shame. I run directly to dsp from dac when I’m doing critical listening.

I realize I didn’t answer your questions, but this seems to be an obscure platform to upgrade on, hope my experience and what I’ve been able to share will give you some clarity.

· Registered
BMW X5 > Helix SDMI25 > V-Eight DSP + JL Amp > L7 Speakers + Ultimo SC10 in JL Stealth Sub (X5)
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey mistersafe, I appreciate the revert.
So my current layout looks like this -
Starting point E70 X5 2013 Logic 7 audio > Replaced OEM Amp with Helix SDMI25 > Helix V-Eight DSP (have a spare P-Six also lying around somewhere in the garage if I decide to go with more power/ 2 less channels) > JL Audio 400/4 for underseat mid woofers bridged on Channel 9, 10 > All OEM Channels (including centre) powered by V-Eight running L7 speakers.
I like the suggestion to consider the B&W Mids, I have B&Ws in one of my home audio set-ups and like them a lot.
Do you have any photos from your install/ speaker adapters? How's your experience with the Infinity Kappas and where did you install the 5.xx" mid?
Cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.