DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've got a setup in my truck with two 4" front speakers in the doors, and two 8" subs along with two 4" speakers hooked to an amp in the back. The door (front) speakers are running off of the head unit, and they crackle at mid-high volume (crackling starts with volume at 27 out of 45). What could be causing this? I had an older head unit which a replace about 6 months ago. They crackled with the old head unit too. Is the head unit supplying too much/not enough power, or is it another issue? I'm pretty good with wiring, and everything is wired correctly as far a I can tell. Oh also, they mostly crackle on low frequency when there's bass in the music (if I turn it up loud enough, they always crackle though). I didn't install the door speakers, but I took the door panels off, and they look like they were put in right before I bought the truck.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
If you have selectable high pass filters built into your radio, its time to learn how to use them. Sounds like you are running frequencies that are too low for your speaker to play accurately.

If you do not have a HPF built into your radio your other option may be to build a passive xover to filter out some of the low frequency content.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have selectable high pass filters built into your radio, its time to learn how to use them. Sounds like you are running frequencies that are too low for your speaker to play accurately.

If you do not have a HPF built into your radio your other option may be to build a passive xover to filter out some of the low frequency content.
There are several filters on the radio, but no matter what I get crackling at high volume. With almost no low frequency I still get crackling at volume of 30-31 out of 45.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Can you please list your car audio system in here so we could help you,

I was there one day where you are.. :) list your items, and we go from there!

Mario

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you please list your car audio system in here so we could help you,

I was there one day where you are.. :) list your items, and we go from there!

Mario
I didn't install the speakers myself, it was all there when I bought the vehicle. So, I don't know specific wattage on the speakers. The head unit I did install myself, and it's a JVC KD-R330. It says in the instructions it says 50w x 4, and 20w RMS x 4.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps the system's on crack? ;p

Check connections, especially speaker cables so they doesn't touch ground! It's pretty common with door mounted speakers.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 3 via Tapatalk.
I would think that could be an issue, except for the fact that both of the speakers crackle at the same exact time on the same volume. Seems like it's some other issue... Can crackling/clipping occur from lack of power? Each of my head unit outputs are rated at 50 watt peak. I don't know what wattage my speakers are capable of, but many of the 4 inch speakers (even cheap ones) available online have capability much higher than 50 watt peak.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I would assume they have taken too many beatings and the coils are rubbing. Have you tried pushing in on them with your fingers to see if they sound scratchy with music off?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would assume they have taken too many beatings and the coils are rubbing. Have you tried pushing in on them with your fingers to see if they sound scratchy with music off?
Yeah, I would assume that I just needed to replace the speakers, but the speakers appear to be very new as far as I can tell. I think that all of the sound equipment was put in some time in 2011 including head unit, door speakers, subs, and back speakers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts