DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so today my left speaker just decided to die on me. The speakers in question are ID OEM 6.5's. Anyone remember these? Awesome speakers.

Anyway, I have no idea what the market is like right now for 6.5's. What are the good deals now? Please help. The ID OEM's were only $90, and I had them pumped with about 125W RMS each.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
There are tons of speakers out there...depend on your requirements, listening preferences, and budget. You can start in the reviews sections as well as check out Zaph|Audio and madisound/partsexpress

I honestly feel that the ID OEMs were nice for the price but other drivers at the $90 range at the time were better like IMO. Deciding is the same now as it was years before, this is DIY ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got any specific suggestion? $90 range, 125-150WRMS, same size. I listen to rock/metal. I'd like to hear some suggestions instead of going in blind.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I got a kicker 18" solobaric.

JK, lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been running some cx62's for the last year and a half now. I'm very pleased with them so far. Tight bass and low distortion for the price. Just allow a break-in period for them to play at their full potential :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so my JL 300/2 amp has it's "Low Ohm" light on. I've tried disconnecting the speaker that stopped working and switching the known good speaker to the channel it was on and it works. After I did that, I disconnected both speakers and the Low Ohm light is still on. I can't tell if I have a bad amp, bad speaker, or both now..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright I took the door panel off, everything looks attached. I did gently press on the cone of the speaker and it sounds like sandpaper scratching..doesn't seem good.

It did make a low volume pop when it went out, I didn't have the music particularly loud when it happened though.

I'll see about using a DMM on the amp. I hope the amp didn't crap on me which caused a speaker to blow as well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If the low Ohm light is on without anything attached to the speaker outputs of the amp, the amp will most likely need some service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts