DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. My BMW speakers need replacement and I need some advice about speaker choice and how to mount them.

The pictures show the "insert and rotate" OEM engagement locking system that I need to break to get the current speaker out of. At that point, I'm lost as to what my options are. I haven't done this, but it seems easily fixable with some advice.

Anybody know how I can use modern 4" speakers with this non-standard setup? Hot glue and drilling? Speaker gasket foam tape?

Subwoofer Audio equipment Loudspeaker Car subwoofer Auto part
Electronics Technology Auto part Electronic device Audio equipment
Audio equipment Loudspeaker Technology Electronic device Electronics
Audio equipment Loudspeaker Electronics Technology Electronic device
Auto part Audio equipment Electronic device Subwoofer Hardware accessory

Any insight appreciated. Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you googled for speaker mounts or adapters for your car's model run?
Yes. The car is 25 years old and the only option is to buy them either in a whole side panel or with speakers that I won't wan't to use. This model for some reason has OEM mounts which are not standard. I found a guy who said he changed his by removing the current OEM speaker by breaking the locking pins on the rotation lock system, then using self-tapping screws after drilling the mount. But I'm checking to see how the mods fix gaps, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Maybe cut the old speaker out of the oem mount and use it as a base for the new speakers? Doesn't look like they're any good anyway. It would mount same as it does oem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe cut the old speaker out of the oem mount and use it as a base for the new speakers? Doesn't look like they're any good anyway. It would mount same as it does oem.
The OEM mount is unique. Nothing mounts like the OEM. Screw mounts are what I have to fit. I think I found a solution. The OEM mount is the challenge here.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
The OEM mount is unique. Nothing mounts like the OEM. Screw mounts are what I have to fit. I think I found a solution. The OEM mount is the challenge here.
Cut the oem cone out and remove the oem speaker basket. What you have left will still have the oem mounting tabs and a circle. Make a baffle to mount to this circle. Make an appropriate sized hole in the baffle to mount your new speaker.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes the video showed me how I can remove it so the original mount won't be damaged. The two speakers are relatively the same. I've ordered them and will chase it up as need, but I'm expecting it to be simpler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts