DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, first post so please let me know if this should be in a different forum.
I have a 2010 tundra. As I am planning my new system, I am really trying to keep the center channel dash speaker. It really adds some front stage feel to everything. So here's my main question.
I have a 3 way component set rated at 4 ohm. My plan is to add my 3½ coax center channel using positive of right side full range and the negative from left side full range. The center channel speaker is also 4 ohm. Will this change the draw of the whole component set to 2 ohm?
Also, any suggestions and input on a better way of maintaining this center channel would be appreciated. I would prefer not to have a separate amplifier channel dedicated to this one speaker if possible.

· Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
3,887 Posts
Don't do that. I don't exactly know what it would do to the draw, you can check with a multimeter at the amp to check what ohm the amp is seeing.

But it's best to use a separate channel for your centre, for many reasons. Your already running 3 speakers per channel off of 1 passive set. More speakers does not mean it will sound better or louder.

What are you trying to gain. More volume?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not volume exactly, just stereo imaging. I guess the best way would be to just find a small 2 ch amp and bridge it mono for the center channel. It was more a question for the ohm effect. Honestly now that I think about it, it would be best to have separate level controll for that speaker to dial it in better.

· Registered
10,775 Posts
Not volume exactly, just stereo imaging. I guess the best way would be to just find a small 2 ch amp and bridge it mono for the center channel. It was more a question for the ohm effect. Honestly now that I think about it, it would be best to have separate level controll for that speaker to dial it in better.
A center channel isn't helpful for imaging if you have a DSP unless you are striving for top notch 2 seat tuning, in which case you'll need to spend even more time tuning the DSP to get it right. A properly done stereo setup with image just as good without a center speaker.

· Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
3,887 Posts
Bridging will not mix left and right. Even if it did, it won't give you a proper centre. You would need a DSP with a proper upmixer to remove left and right signals.

· Registered
3,887 Posts
An other thing you could do is use the high level from the factory signal to the 2 ch amp and amplify the factory centre. If you don't want to take it full high end DSP with centre algorithm

· Premium Member
578 Posts
I’ve seen system diagrams where they hook 3 speakers (left and right highs and a sub) to 2 channels, and run passives on everything. I think bridging the center across left and right (if the amp will allow it) might put left-side information right of the driver and right-side information left of the passenger. You could always try it and see for yourself, just keep the volume relatively low, but I think there’s a reason a center channel signal is an option on only some of the better DSPs.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How is it wired from the factory? What are you using to amplify the 3-way component set? What other equipment are you using starting with the head unit?
Currently, it is a stock JBL, 7 or 8 ch system. Still designing the new system, but more than likely I will be using a Joying head unit to 5 or possibly 7 channels. Haven't purchased anything just yet. Still trying to decide weather the stereo imaging is important enough to add the extra channels.
3 way components I've been looking at are the CT MESO-6-5-3WAY. Was planning on using the 3.5 for my dash corners which would eliminate the need for 2 channels it currently uses.

· Premium Member
851 Posts
Currently, it is a stock JBL, 7 or 8 ch system. Still designing the new system, but more than likely I will be using a Joying head unit to 5 or possibly 7 channels. Haven't purchased anything just yet. Still trying to decide weather the stereo imaging is important enough to add the extra channels.
3 way components I've been looking at are the CT MESO-6-5-3WAY. Was planning on using the 3.5 for my dash corners which would eliminate the need for 2 channels it currently uses.
In order to use a center channel and have it improve your SQ experience you have to have proper processing. This goes for rear fill too, any plans? Does the Joying have any DSP features?

Some DSP consider the center channel to be just as important as the front Left and Right, needs to play similar range and spl. Others don't use a center channel at all. Who are you upgrading the system for, just you the driver or both front seats? A single seat system, for the driver, doesn't need a center or as much DSP magic to sound fantastic.

You are doing yourself a big favor by being patient and not purchasing anything yet. Do you have a budget, space limitations, time frame, etc.?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
My ideal system, still working out details....

Head unit - Joying 11" JY-TQ115N8G-H
  • Optical and Coaxial out
  • 5 channel rca out (unsure of voltage)
  • 8g ram (very responsive as per reviews)
  • Dsp (emailed joying to find more details of its capabilities) I'm assuming it's only 5 channel but possibly more via optical/coax
Front and Rear doors
  • MESO 6.5-3WAY or Inf Kappa
  • 125 w rms per channel
  • Front 3.5 used in dash corners
Dash center channel
  • 3.5 Coaxial (75w rms ish?) Undecided
Subs
  • 2x Sundown SLD 10 dual 2ohm
  • 600 rms per
Amps and processing
  • D4S - JP23-4
  • D4S - JP23
  • Will add 2 ch amp if needed for center channel
  • Undecided on dsp or other processing
As you can see, I'm still figuring out everything. Amps might change depending on channel needs and speaker specs.

Any input on this would be very helpful.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Forgot to mention, plan is to delete all jbl system.
**update - due to the integrated nature of this jbl head unit, I've decided to leave the head unit and use a DSR1. This will give me the dsp and outputs needed to achieve the stereo imaging I want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts