DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of focal access 165 A1s that are currently in my kick panels, i put them there originally trying to equalize path length differences. My center stage is strong with the help of time delay, however my width is very very narrow. I was planning on moving the speakers back into their factory locations in the doors and then placing the tweeters further into the kick panels. Reading the technical thread about the pros and cons of kick panels by werewolf sparked this question about my kicks. What do you guys think? Its about a month away from the next SQ show at speakerworks in orange so i have plenty of time to rebuild! Here are pictures of my current locations, you can also see where the factory door locations are to.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in which way would you change the aiming? What about aiming them in the factory locations like i have seen many people do (like 20-30 degrees)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
well, you want to minimize path length differences. I think if there is something you don't like, try to adjust the aiming before trying a different spot.

but trying both and seeing what measurements you can get would be ideal.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
well, you want to minimize path length differences. I think if there is something you don't like, try to adjust the aiming before trying a different spot.

but trying both and seeing what measurements you can get would be ideal.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright so after reading more and talking to a couple people i have decided to go ahead and rebuild . Check out my new idea for positioning them , my first goal is try to increase stage width as much as i can. My only concern is that the speakers are now a little high up compared to where they were, and i also have no idea where to put my tweeters.

·
Registered
524 Posts
On-axis with the listener is the best bet. Imaging cues are primarily found in the 250-5000hz range, while staging cues are found in the 5khz + range. To benefit imaging cues, you need to keep speakers on-axis, and the speakers that create these imaging cues as equal in pld or compensation as possible

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do you guys think about angling them toward the middle of the car "aim them at the dome light" philosophy compared to what i read over on the Image Dynamics Forums

"measure 2" down from the ear opening and then 6" in front of that point-mark point on side window-line up center of mid and tweet or center of the baffle housing the 2 toward that point. "

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do you guys think about angling them toward the middle of the car "aim them at the dome light" philosophy compared to what i read over on the Image Dynamics Forums

"measure 2" down from the ear opening and then 6" in front of that point-mark point on side window-line up center of mid and tweet or center of the baffle housing the 2 toward that point. "

·
Registered
76 Posts
That post from cmusic is exactly what I have been looking for. Thank you!

CDTAUDIO Premium Car Audio Sound Systems
CDTAUDIO Premium Car Audio Sound Systems

CDT web page backs the dome light theory. I know these are cdt specific, but hope the reading can help out either way.

best of luck

J

1 - 12 of 12 Posts