DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my 6.5 factory door speakers as the small amp I added was too powerful for them but now my factory 3.5 dash speakers which are on the same channel as the doors sound a bit too loud compared to the doors , will replacing them with speakers the same sensitivity or lower than the 6.5's (88)dB resolve this?

·
Registered
371 Posts
You should have changed those out at the same time with a component set. You should be able to fit a large tweeter there. That's what I would do.

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
Yeah, that's why we either run passive components that are designed so that the mid and tweeter have similar output, or we run active crossovers that allow us independent control over each speaker. OEM stereos use cheap speakers wired in parallel with really basic crossovers, swapping out one set of speakers in that system leads to the issue you're having, and potentially other problems.

You can get a proper passive component set, invest in active processing, take a gamble and hope whatever speaker you replace the 3.5" with works, or you could potentially wire a resistor to attenuate the 3.5". If you don't want to invest the time and money into a full blown active crossover setup, getting a component set that fits your budget is probably going to be your best bet.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
If the OP is in a budget, they could add a 2 or 4 ohm resister in series with the tweeters.
It may not be perfect, but it should help...

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
If the OP is in a budget, they could add a 2 or 4 ohm resister in series with the tweeters.
It may not be perfect, but it should help...
I considered suggesting that, and as jolathe mentioned, the resistor would have to be fairly robust. Even then finding the correct resistance to attenuate the signal the correct amount could be tricky.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
^4 ohm is not a bad start...^

A capacitor would be another possibility.

One needs to know where it was too loud to know what combo is best.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Something like these?:

Would 4ohm attenuate more than 2?
Correct... if you knew "how much" too loud it is, then one could figure out what it takes...

E.g. 4-ohm speaker +4 ohm resistor is 8 ohms.
That is half of the current and half of the voltage, so 1/4 the power... which should be ~-6dB.
I think 8 ohms would make -10dB...

And you probably would get by with a 1W if you didn't crank it... certainly 5W would do, as the speaker would also be pulling 5W... and there is no way you can realistically get 10W RMS into them from most amps... especially if there is a capacitor in there somewhere.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Actually adding a capacitor to make the upper speakers only play tweeter notes may be worth a try...
Do you know where in freq it is too loud?
And if one could quantifying "a bit" it would help.

Ideally one would use 2 more channels and a DSP or active cross over.
But as a science project it is cheap-n-easy enough to just try it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another noob question, the existing 3.5 has a crossover (capacitor) already baked in from factory presumably to stop the lows blowing it, what would be the effect of turning on a hpf further down the chain on the amplifier, are the frequencies that pass set by the highest of the two or is there a summing effect and even more freq is cut out?

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Another noob question, the existing 3.5 has a crossover (capacitor) already baked in from factory presumably to stop the lows blowing it...
Both ^that^, and because the they may intend the upper notes to go to the dash... as Yoda says, "a two for one deal is what the capacitor does."

..., what would be the effect of turning on a hpf further down the chain on the amplifier, are the frequencies that pass set by the highest of the two or is there a summing effect and even more freq is cut out?
There can be many ways to achieve the goal.
Either you have two channels (1/side) and you use a passive cross over, or you generally have a 4 channel amp and you cross over before the amp,

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have decided to get a component set rather than messing to get matching speakers and to move the Kenwoods to the rear doors but I want to get something with inline crossovers so that I can connect the tweeters straight to the wiring in the dash. Does anyone have any recommendations, I was thinking of one of the below?

Focal ISU 165, not sure about bass on these though due to the thin speakers

Pioneer TS-D65C

Pioneer TS-A1600C

Alpine S-S65C

·
Registered
371 Posts
You can connect the component set crossover to the stock wiring. Are you not bypassing the stock amp ? Tweeters are crossed from the headunit ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Factory tweeters 3.5 inch are on the same channel as front doors and have a capacitor crossover on them.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have decided to get a component set rather than messing to get matching speakers and to move the Kenwoods to the rear doors but I want to get something with inline crossovers so that I can connect the tweeters straight to the wiring in the dash. Does anyone have any recommendations, I was thinking of one of the below?

Focal ISU 165, not sure about bass on these though due to the thin speakers

Pioneer TS-D65C

Pioneer TS-A1600C

Alpine S-S65C
None of those are really made for bass under 80-90 hz. That is for subwoofers.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Factory tweeters 3.5 inch are on the same channel as front doors and have a capacitor crossover on them.
You just connect the main speaker wire to the crossover then seperate wires go to the midbass woofer and to the tweeter from the crossover. You don't need another inline capacitor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know but then I have to get wire from the door to the dash which I dont want to do hence looking at sets with inline crossovers.

Which do you reckon best for sq?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I know but then I have to get wire from the door to the dash which I dont want to do hence looking at sets with inline crossovers.

Which do you reckon best for sq?
Put the crossover by the stereo or amp (basically where the amps speaker cable meets the door speaker cabling) then run another wire to the dash from the tweeter section of the crossover, crossovers shouldn’t be put in doors anyway imo

inline crossovers rely on the top end roll off of the mid/midbass, I would go with a set of speakers with proper two way crossovers and control the roll off more 👍🏼

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
What is the source of the speaker wire that feeds your OE 3.5s in the dash? Is there a way to place the crossover in line from that source to feed both the door and the dash locations?

In the price range you are looking at, I would consider the Morel Maximo 6. If you can spend more, I would take a look at the Audiofrog G60S. They are quite a bit more (at least in the US), but not too far from the price point of the Focals you were considering. Audiofrog makes a great product and the separate inline crossovers for the mids and tweeters seem like exactly what you are looking for.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts