DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for speaker suggestions for my new Dodge Ram Lonestar Edition. It came with the Alpine 430 setup. It's ok but I want something better.

I already have some nice amps (Arc SE4200/SE2300) to power everything. Now all I need to do is decide on comps and subs.

So far I was thinking about running a set of 6 1/2 HA Imagines for the doors and either a pair of Alpine R10's or IDQv310's pulling sub duty.

Obviously I will be needing a processor. From what I'm reading on DIYMA the MS-8 sounds like a winner.

I also like the idea of putting a 3 1/2 widebander's in the dash because standard tweeters in my old Ram just didn't cut it for my taste.

Keep in mind that this is my daily driver, I'm open for other options but I want it to look as OEM as possible.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm in the middle of my install in my 2011 Laramie crew cab. I'll be rockin these:

JL HD600/4 driving XR6.5Ms in the front and rear doors
JL HD600/4 driving left, right and center XR3Ms in the dash
JL HD1200/1 driving 2 1243 Type Rs in a Fox Box
MS-8

No idea how it's going to sound but I'll be finding out soon. Just waiting on the XRs. Otherwise everything's done. Good to go.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Read a lot of good things about the XR's after my original post. Definitley have them at the top of my list along with Legatis SE's. I'd like to avoid purchasing another amp so I am hoping the the 2 amps I have are sufficient enough for the front stage and subs.

As far as subs go...I was leaning towards the IDQ V3's or R10's. Anyone want to chime in on which would better (sq wise) installed under the back seat of Ram?

It also looks like the MS-8 is the way to go for processing. Im also thinking worse case, I could use the onboard amp on it to run a pair of imaging tweets if the stage is lacking from only using 3 1/2 wide banders in the dash.

·
Registered
65 Posts
As far as subs go...I was leaning towards the IDQ V3's or R10's. Anyone want to chime in on which would better (sq wise) installed under the back seat of Ram?
I went with the 12" Type Rs based on my discussions with the manufacturer of the Fox Box. I did not want the Type Rs. He insisted that they were best suited for the box out of basically everything out there (he rhymed off a long list of subs he had tried and unequivocally stated, more than once, that nothing beat the Type Rs in that box). They are cheap. If I don't like them I will get different ones. He also insisted on the 2-12 vented box over the 2-10. The box was cheap too.

Anway, in a nutshell I went with what the manufacturer of the box was saying was best suited for that particular box. Now he and I may disagree with what actually sounds the best but like I said, if I don't like them I will ditch them without a second's hesitation.

I hope to have them in reasonably soon. I will let you know what I think once I get them pounding.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Is that the Alpine system with the center channel? If you are going to go with Imagine's then go with the 6x9's. They will bolt right in to the factory locations with just a small spacer to clear the window glass. Sound is very similar to the 6.5's with more midbass. And quite a bit more midbass. :D

I assume your doors look like this:

Depending on your budget, throw a set of L3SE's in the dash and you will be golden. That is what I did with my truck. (actually I have L3's, but am going to change them for the SE's when I get time).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went with the 12" Type Rs based on my discussions with the manufacturer of the Fox Box. I did not want the Type Rs. He insisted that they were best suited for the box out of basically everything out there (he rhymed off a long list of subs he had tried and unequivocally stated, more than once, that nothing beat the Type Rs in that box). They are cheap. If I don't like them I will get different ones. He also insisted on the 2-12 vented box over the 2-10. The box was cheap too.

Anway, in a nutshell I went with what the manufacturer of the box was saying was best suited for that particular box. Now he and I may disagree with what actually sounds the best but like I said, if I don't like them I will ditch them without a second's hesitation.

I hope to have them in reasonably soon. I will let you know what I think once I get them pounding.
I'm still debating whether to go with a prefab box or taking it to local shop and having them build a sealed one under the seat. Your results might help sway my decision.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is that the Alpine system with the center channel? If you are going to go with Imagine's then go with the 6x9's. They will bolt right in to the factory locations with just a small spacer to clear the window glass. Sound is very similar to the 6.5's with more midbass. And quite a bit more midbass. :D

I assume your doors look like this:

Depending on your budget, throw a set of L3SE's in the dash and you will be golden. That is what I did with my truck. (actually I have L3's, but am going to change them for the SE's when I get time).
That would be my doors with slightly different trim (Lone Star Edition). It does have a center channel too.

So your suggestion is 6x9's Imagines in the door and just replace the dash speakers with L3/L3SE's then call it day? What about then center channel?

·
Registered
774 Posts
That would be my doors with slightly different trim (Lone Star Edition). It does have a center channel too.

So your suggestion is 6x9's Imagines in the door and just replace the dash speakers with L3/L3SE's then call it day? What about then center channel?
That is my truck in the picture. I also have the Alpine system with a center channel. I have tried many different configurations in the truck. With and without changing amps. The best I have been able to achieve (using stock behind grille locations) is the Imagine 6x9's in the doors (as midbass without tweeters) and the L3's in the left, right dash positions with a summing processor (Audio Control DQL-8). That worked really well. I have since simplified it and was running the same speakers off of the factory amp. I also replaced the center channel with another L3. The improvement is HUGE over the factory system.

I will be changing it again soon, but it will be mostly permanent this time. It will still use the Imagine 6x9's, but will have L3SE's in the dash with the Imagine sub. (I am thrilled with the i6SW, but may try the 8" or 10" that will soon be released).

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask more questions. Glad to help.

Tom

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here are a few pics - Fox Box, amp board fitted in the rear of the truck and my amp board wired. I'm mid-install. Just waiting for my speakers. I've had the back seat out for 3+ weeks now. It looks like I've been living in there. LOL.

I'm sure the guys here will think my amp board is ghetto as $hit but it's the first time I've ever done anything like this so what the he11. The space between the sub amp on the left and the MS-8 is intentional - there's a seatbelt retractor on the floor there.

The amp board actually looks a lot nicer in person. Not as nice as I was hoping - I thought the exposed wiring and in-line fuses would give it more of an industrial look but whatever.

I've got the truck totally wired. I took my time and went through all the Molexes so it's pretty clean. 100% stealth. The driver's door was a biatch.

It's taken me a long time to do this. A month ago I didn't have a clue what I was doing but this board and another one, together with 2 unreal dudes who have been e-helping me, have got me almost to the promised land.

If you have any questions, I'm more than happy to try to help you if I can. The Ram definitely has some incredibly stoopid design errors (IMHO) that I learned about as I went. I love that truck though. 1000x better than my 07.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is my truck in the picture. I also have the Alpine system with a center channel. I have tried many different configurations in the truck. With and without changing amps. The best I have been able to achieve (using stock behind grille locations) is the Imagine 6x9's in the doors (as midbass without tweeters) and the L3's in the left, right dash positions with a summing processor (Audio Control DQL-8). That worked really well. I have since simplified it and was running the same speakers off of the factory amp. I also replaced the center channel with another L3. The improvement is HUGE over the factory system.

I will be changing it again soon, but it will be mostly permanent this time. It will still use the Imagine 6x9's, but will have L3SE's in the dash with the Imagine sub. (I am thrilled with the i6SW, but may try the 8" or 10" that will soon be released).

Tom
Thanks Tom. That helps out alot. Simple is good in my book. :D I'm surpised that little amp provides enough power to do those speakers justice.

Might go that route and save myself some coin. Did you use the existing box for the sub and power it off that amp as well?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are a few pics - Fox Box, amp board fitted in the rear of the truck and my amp board wired. I'm mid-install. Just waiting for my speakers. I've had the back seat out for 3+ weeks now. It looks like I've been living in there. LOL.

I'm sure the guys here will think my amp board is ghetto as $hit but it's the first time I've ever done anything like this so what the he11. The space between the sub amp on the left and the MS-8 is intentional - there's a seatbelt retractor on the floor there.

The amp board actually looks a lot nicer in person. Not as nice as I was hoping - I thought the exposed wiring and in-line fuses would give it more of an industrial look but whatever.

I've got the truck totally wired. I took my time and went through all the Molexes so it's pretty clean. 100% stealth. The driver's door was a biatch.

It's taken me a long time to do this. A month ago I didn't have a clue what I was doing but this board and another one, together with 2 unreal dudes who have been e-helping me, have got me almost to the promised land.

If you have any questions, I'm more than happy to try to help you if I can. The Ram definitely has some incredibly stoopid design errors (IMHO) that I learned about as I went. I love that truck though. 1000x better than my 07.
I totally respect the fact that your diggin in and learning as you go. Tried that in my old truck with decent results. Unfortunately time and patience are in short demand right now. I just want it done so I can move on to my next project, a 6" lift with 35's ;)

BTW, I think your amp rack is coming along nicely.

·
Registered
372 Posts

Amp board looks good to me! Clean and funtional.

What design errors are you referring to? Love my '09.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Thanks Tom. That helps out alot. Simple is good in my book. :D I'm surpised that little amp provides enough power to do those speakers justice.

Might go that route and save myself some coin. Did you use the existing box for the sub and power it off that amp as well?
Just to clarify, the speakers are currently running off the stock amp and it is a huge improvement over OEM. This is just temporary as I will be revamping the system when I get time (and quit selling all of the gear that was supposed to go in the truck :mad: ).

The i6sw had it's own ported box and amp. Really amazing how good one 6.5" subwoofer can sound.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to clarify, the speakers are currently running off the stock amp and it is a huge improvement over OEM. This is just temporary as I will be revamping the system when I get time (and quit selling all of the gear that was supposed to go in the truck :mad: ).

The i6sw had it's own ported box and amp. Really amazing how good one 6.5" subwoofer can sound.
Are you still using the rear door and headliner speakers in your current set up?

·
Registered
74 Posts

Tom

Hey Tom, would you mind sharing the other variations you tried in your truck? I have the same doors, but have a regular cab two door.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Hey Tom, would you mind sharing the other variations you tried in your truck? I have the same doors, but have a regular cab two door.
I've had many. Most of them never totally finished as I get to work on it when I have time (which isn't very often). Speaker wise I have had Hybrid Audio Imagine 6x9's in all of the doors on midbass duty. As I previously said, all you need is a 1/4- 1/2" spacer to keep the magnet from hitting the window parts. The plastic inner door liner seals them really well and very little damping is necessary to get them to sound really good. Front and rear doors were bandpassed around the 40-160 range if I remember correctly. The dash and center channel has Hybrid Audio L3's in it with no tweeter. Sounds good, but after hearing the L3SE's, that will be the next speaker that will be going in those locations. I think it will give it just what it needs in the upper frequencies. My goal was to use all the stock locations behind factory grilles which this worked great for. If I was going to keep the L3 (non SE's) I would be putting a tweeter somewhere in the pillars. I'm sure the SE's would solve that issue while still keeping my stock locations goal. The sub I had (now back to stock) was a Hybrid Audio Imagine i6SW in a ported enclosure.

Amp wise it has gone through some changes with demo equipment we had around the shop. It had a Zapco i5100 for a while running it all with a DSP6SL processor, and at another time a Zapco i4100, a Zapco ST1 on the sub and ST4 on the L/R L3's. An Audio Control DQL-8 was in there for channel summing,some EQ and remote turn on duty.

Being my own vehicle and people wanting the equipment, it has been bastardized quite a bit over the 2 years I have owned the truck. One day I might finish it, but most likely I will give up and sell it before then. That is just the way it works when you are in the business. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts