DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason I ask this is I'm putting together a list of things to do to the car tomorrow since I have a few hours free.

When I installed my 900/5 under the seat a month or two ago, my sub wires were too short so I used some good 16ga speaker wire I had left over for the midbasses (Knu twisted wire). This was temporary and as usual I forgot about it.

According to the wire size calculator, there's no reason to upgrade the wiring. Subs are IB and running off of 250w each and I probably don't use half of that. The reason I'm asking the question is it just doesn't look or seem right running 16ga wire to the subs but I understand these are exceptionally low powered subs.

So any reason I should upgrade the sub wiring? I'm not trying to be cheap, I've already bought the new sub wiring but I have other things to do as well.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I doubt that you will do too much damage on 16ga. The next time youre out for a drive, check and see if those wires are getting warm or anything. My bet is that they are. If you have bigger wires, I would put them on. Im the kinda guy who likes to be ablsolutely sure about things. It gives me a peace of mind.

·
Registered
403 Posts
can you link me to the wire calc please?
I am getting ready to run 200 RMS using the stock wire through the doors and want to see what is recommended.

Thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts