DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ok so i have a bit of a Frankenstein system. Speakers up front are Focal Flax Evo ps165 fe and a set of JL c2 650 6x9 3 ways in the back. All 4 ohm speakers, 4 ohm amp, runs fine sounds OK. A friend is giving me a sub if I build him a box for the other sub in the pair, it's a 12' MTX something, haven't looked at it yet.
My question is I am wondering if it would work to wire the Focals and the jl set to the front channel on the amp and put the sub on the rear channel with the high/low pass filters set appropriately. I get that running the 2 sets off one channel I will either get 8 or 2 ohms, my amp is 2ohm stable, 100/4 @ 4 oohms, 150/4 @2 ohms. Would it be better to just axe the 6x9's and use the focals and a sub, or wire the speakers to one channel and the sub to another. I can't afford a sub amp right now so Im just trying to see if this is doable. Its all in a single cab 2012 f-150 XT so there is not a lot of space to fill. I have all the woodworking tools and the MDF so the boxes are no issue.

· Registered
11,364 Posts
No need to post the same question in two places. Keep them all in one place and work on sentence structure when it comes to what you need.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Lol yeah I thought I should add one of those. Would it work to wire 2 sets of 4 ohm speakers (focal flax evo ps 165fe with a crossover, JL c2 650 with no crossover (built in I guess)) to one channel, and a sub (some MTX sub a friend is giving me) to the other channel on my RF 600/4 amp. Amp is stable at 4/2 ohms. OR , would it be better to just run the 3 way and sub, its in a single cab 2012 F-150.

SECOND QUESTION, I have the 6x9's in a crap box I made with some 3/8 scrap MDF one day at work, wanted them mounted on the sides behind the seat, pretty sure the side impact airbag goes there and don't want to cut into the panel, so I'd rather keep them in boxes as its a work truck (i Own it) and like the option to easily remove the 6x9's if I need to. Would it be better to get rid of them and use just the sub.

· Registered
11,364 Posts
Lol yeah I thought I should add one of those. Would it work to wire 2 sets of 4 ohm speakers (focal flax evo ps 165fe with a crossover, JL c2 650 with no crossover (built in I guess)) to one channel, and a sub (some MTX sub a friend is giving me) to the other channel on my RF 600/4 amp. Amp is stable at 4/2 ohms. OR , would it be better to just run the 3 way and sub, its in a single cab 2012 F-150.

SECOND QUESTION, I have the 6x9's in a crap box I made with some 3/8 scrap MDF one day at work, wanted them mounted on the sides behind the seat, pretty sure the side impact airbag goes there and don't want to cut into the panel, so I'd rather keep them in boxes as its a work truck (i Own it) and like the option to easily remove the 6x9's if I need to.
1. you can run channels 1 and 2 at 2ohms. So yes you can wire the two sets of front speakers together and use channels 1 and 2 for that. Leaving you the ability to bridge channels 3 and 4 to power your subwoofer. It just needs to be a 4 ohm if you bridge channels 3 and 4.
2. not sure what your question is on the 6x9's.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

1. you can run channels 1 and 2 at 2ohms. So yes you can wire the two sets of front speakers together and use channels 1 and 2 for that. Leaving you the ability to bridge channels 3 and 4 to power your subwoofer. It just needs to be a 4 ohm if you bridge channels 3 and 4.
2. not sure what your question is on the 6x9's.
I'm thinking I misspained, current setup-Focal 3 ways (with external crossover) , JL 3way 6x9's(no crossover) both sets 4 ohm. RF t600/4, 100 per channel at 4 ohms, 150 at 2. Can I run the speakers off the front channel and the sub off the rear channel? I thought to bridge it I would have to plug the positive into the positive from the front channel, and neg to the rear negative channel? Sorry I'm a wood man not a sparky, know just enough to get myself into trouble.

· Registered
11,364 Posts
I'm thinking I misspained, current setup-Focal 3 ways (with external crossover) , JL 3way 6x9's(no crossover) both sets 4 ohm. RF t600/4, 100 per channel at 4 ohms, 150 at 2. Can I run the speakers off the front channel and the sub off the rear channel? I thought to bridge it I would have to plug the positive into the positive from the front channel, and neg to the rear negative channel?
Its 4 channels....and you are not briding it to 2 channels, you would leave channels 1 and 2 unbridged and running all your speakers at 2 ohm total. Then you would be bridging channels 3 and 4 to make 1 channel for the sub.

White Rectangle Slope Font Line
White Rectangle Slope Font Line

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Its 4 channels....and you are not briding it to 2 channels, you would leave channels 1 and 2 unbridged and running all your speakers at 2 ohm total. Then you would be bridging channels 3 and 4 to make 1 channel for the sub.

View attachment 317539 View attachment 317539
Ok cool that is what I thought, I just wanted to make sure there would be no issue with the focals being a 3 way set going from a crossover. So I can go from channels 1-2 to the crossover and the 6x9's, and 3-4 to the sub.

· Registered
11,364 Posts
Ok cool that is what I thought, I just wanted to make sure there would be no issue with the focals being a 3 way set going from a crossover. So I can go from channels 1-2 to the crossover and the 6x9's, and 3-4 to the sub.
yup. No idea how it will sound, but yes you can do it.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
yup. No idea how it will sound, but yes you can do it.
It sounds pretty decent actually. Ended up one of the subs was bad so now I have a passive box lol. I am gonna make (or maybe just be lazy and buy) a truck box and new sub after the new year and....ugh.....taxes.... Sometimes I love being 1099, sometimes the government makes me hate it.

Think it would help any to remove the magnet and voice coil from the dead sub?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.