Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I'm new to this whole DIY audio hobby. Long thread :(

Well the specs

Headunit Kenwood Excelon KDC-X492
Speakers Rainbow CMX 265 Kick compo set
Amp - Sundown SAX-100.2 CLASS A/B 2 CHANNEL

Alright - All power wires are connected to fuses, and negative grounded.

speaker wires were solder to flanged spades and covered with heat shrinks.
Hooked it all up and drove around with volume set to 19, and no settings on amp for 5 months. Played different music and no problems

Recently I wanted to continue with the project.
I was working on a test tone with 0 dB 256 kbps 1kHz MP3 file.

I started with HU and stop at 33( max is 35) and it sounded good. I notice the light bulb in the crossover grew brighter and remain bright at volume 33.

I then went to amp and had help from my brother. On this Amp there is only a "0.2v - 6v adjustable input sensitivity." There is no knob marked "gain." I spoke with Sundown and was told that this is also a gain.

My brother played the MP3 file, and I began to increase the knob gently while listening to the sound.The sound grew louder. I started from dead left zero turning clockwise and reached the middle. I still had another half way more to go but I stopped.

My brother notice smoke rising from the woofers but he wasn't sure about the tweeters. I turned everything off and shut off the power. removed speaker wires and heat shrink. Nothing.

I then unscrewed the woofers and observed the wires. Nothing. I then observed behind the cone, and Nothing. I then observed the contact area, the positive and the negative terminal, Nothing out of the ordinary. I then smelled it and it was the same burning smell. The contact area is surrounded by some kind of plastic.

I do know the Flanged spades fit really tight when i screwed them on. They are touching the plastic wall.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heh, ya I am thinking about turning it a quarter of the way instead of half way ^_^

I even checked the voice coil and the paper is still yellow/orange and the coil silver and pink.

Anyone knows if I should leave the Headunit volume alone? I might set it lower :(

·
Registered
92 Posts
Your deck claims to have 4v pre-outs, which is pretty strong if they live up to that. I don't think you should have to raise the gain a whole lot. All you're trying to do is match the sensitivity on the amp to the HUs pre-out voltage. You should put your HU volume at 3/4 when setting your gains as well, cuz you don't wanna set clipped gain levels lol.

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
I started with HU and stop at 33( max is 35) and it sounded good. I notice the light bulb in the crossover grew brighter and remain bright at volume 33.
Cooking them babies = TOO MUCH POWER

My brother notice smoke rising from the woofers {Aroma of Voice Coil}

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
Take the gains down and leave the head unit cranked ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
The rms power from the 0db test tone is much greater than any music. It was being pushed harder than ever and probably burning the voice coil.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
The were cooking the VC's of the woofer, the light bulb in the crossover was limiting the tweeter, at his point it was soaking power..... you are pushing things WAY, WAY, WAY too hard, way too hard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, You are probably right, I looked at the VC again and noticed bubbles of solder on the top of the VC.

I am putting it all back together and will be testing it again this weekend.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts

wait....
Is this for real???!!

If this ISN'T a joke, then here: Basic Car Audio Electronics
:D

Can you even hear clipping on 1K? I can't stand 1 K loud I always clip amps on about 60Hz or lower on a sub.

If the light is on the crossover, that means your tweeters will not go louder.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Isn't this what DIY is all about? I've been there man. :blush::cool:;) Except my comps survived but my 6x9s had a heart attack and died.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Isn't this what DIY is all about? I've been there man. :blush::cool:;)
Your 'by nines died because you IGNORED advice. I foresee an amp or another driver in your future.

I have nuked ONE driver in ANY car I have owned and it was the one I own now. The day we lost our second baby and it was the last try, Pantera prevailed and I did not give a flying bat's ass. It was an aggression nuking and it was my fault.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts