DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Firstly, I want to thank you in advance for taking the time to read this post. It'll be a bit lengthy but I feel like those of you seasoned experts would be able to guide me more efficiently if you have all of the information at hand.

Last weekend, I upgraded the 6 speakers stock system in my 2019 Cherokee Trialhawk with two Kenwood Excelon KFC-X3C speakers in the front-left and front-right dash, Alpine S-S69C woofers in the front doors (tweeters not installed anywhere), and two Alpine R-S69.2 2-way speakers in the rear doors hooked up to my stock 8.4 uConnect head unit. For the most part, I really like the way the speakers sound and was actually surprised that the head unit was able to power them as efficiently as it does. The volume can hit about 30 (out of 38) before it seems like I run out of headroom. Once I turn it up though, the tweeters in the Kenwoods become quite sibilant and some of the mid-bass in both sets of 6x9s is kind of beaten out by the lower end frequencies and tends to muddy up. I feel like taming the Kenwoods' tweeters a bit and lowering some of the lower bass a tad in the 6x9s with a DSP would help to make the six speakers really fill out some of the full spectrum a bit. I have a JBL Basspro Hub on the way that could pick up the low end and I feel like I could install one of the unused tweeters from the front component set in the unfilled center position and perhaps if the output on it is low enough in comparison to the Kenwoods it could fill in some of the brilliance I'd tame off on the kenwoods without being as in your face as the kenwoods are currently.

What I'm wanting to do:
1. Add in some sort of tuning/dsp to adjust the current six speakers a bit to tame the Kenwoods' highs and make the doors less muddy
2. Some amplification to either just the woofers in the doors or to all six speakers. It doesn't have to be much more than what the head unit is able to push out now, but a little more would be nice
3. Install one of the 1-inch tweeters that I have from my Alpine component set in the center of the dash as a center channel speaker. (Not sure if I could get away with having it wired this straight to the head unit or not. I'm a novice

My budget: $1000 for parts $400 for installation and wiring (I am colorblind and have neuropathy in my hands so installation would be a really difficult task even if I had step-by-step instructions from start to finish.)

Some stuff I've looked at:
JBL DSP4086 - At first I was dead-set on getting this because I loved the budget and it's just a kiss of power that I know is more than likely stronger than my factory head unit with the tuneability that I am looking for each channel. After looking around though, it sounds like these have a tendency of having a consistent noise floor and that would drive me nuts if I heard it.
Alpine PXE-0850X - I like the idea of this but 1) I'm not certain if the wattage per channel is high enough to give me more volume from my set-up compared to what the factory unit is putting out, I can't seem to find the specs on the 8.4 uConnect though so I have no idea 2) I like the idea of being able to tune this with my phone and bluetooth.
AudioControl D-6.1200 - This is honestly probably out of budget for me but seems like it would be the perfect mix of tunability and extra power. It's probably more power than what I need. I liked some of the other options just because the Kenwoods are rated for 50w RMS, component 6x9s are rated at 85w RMS, and the 2-way 6x9s are 100w RMS and I liked the idea of having something that was more power than what I have but low enough that I wouldn't burn a voice coil or anything on a long, loud road trip.

In summary, I really like the sound the the change of speakers has brought to my Trailhawk. However, I tend to turn it up and not only do I wish it was just a tiny bit louder but I'd like to clean up some of what the speakers are doing from the factory head unit a bit so that I can have a nice, full-range of sound. I have a powered subwoofer on the way that will round out the lower bass nicely and I'd like to install an unused 1 inch tweeter in the front, center location of the dash that I can hopefully drive a little lower than the kenwoods on either side of it. Getting something to tune each channel to suit my needs would be great along with just a bit more power. I won't be installing these myself and will pay a local shop to put everything in. I have looked at some hardware but I don't know which of those (if any of them) would be the right choice. Any input with hardware suggestions, while staying in budget, would be greatly appreciated.

If you've made it this far, thank you. You rock.

·
Premium Member
2021 Camaro 2SS
827 Posts
If you can find a used Helix P6 or M6DSP that would probably be your best bet. It will give you 6 amplified and DSP׳d channels plus extra line outs for future sub if you ever need it. It has one of the best and easiest DSPs and lots of power (you don’t have to use it all)
There should be some in the classifieds here for less than your 1k budget from time to time

Reactions: jhowell1030

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
1,385 Posts
Yea, the tweeter centre channel is not a very good idea. I would advise not to. But a 6 channel amp with a built in DSP is a great idea. M6dsp would be great. If you want a centre channel do it. But a single tweeter is not going to sound good. You centre needs to be of equal quality and output of your left and right channels to work. M6DSP has a centre channel algorithm that's sounds good. At least to me it does.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How are you crossing over the 6x9 and the Kenwoods now? The stock capacitor on the Alpines might be a LP around 2300hz and the Kenwoods might be HP around 700. Plus who knows what your head unit sends out to each channel. If they are both trying to play the range between 700-2300 they are going to be very heavy on high instrument notes like guitar and piano, and peaky since the crossovers might have different slopes.

DSP4086 and Alpine tweeters. I have these and they sound great, however, there is a noticeable noise floor. With background driving noises and 15% volume I can't hear it. I wouldn't use them as a center channel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How are you crossing over the 6x9 and the Kenwoods now? The stock capacitor on the Alpines might be a LP around 2300hz and the Kenwoods might be HP around 700. Plus who knows what your head unit sends out to each channel. If they are both trying to play the range between 700-2300 they are going to be very heavy on high instrument notes like guitar and piano, and peaky since the crossovers might have different slopes.

DSP4086 and Alpine tweeters. I have these and they sound great, however, there is a noticeable noise floor. With background driving noises and 15% volume I can't hear it. I wouldn't use them as a center channel.
Right now I'm just using the crossover that came with the Kenwoods. I found an Alpine PXE-0850X for $600 that I hope will fit the bill nicely. I hope the 25W out to all the speakers will be enough to satisfy me but I feel I may end up grabbing an amp for the 6x9s in the doors.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Right now I'm just using the crossover that came with the Kenwoods.
The 6x9s are probably getting full range signal and overlapping a lot with the 3.5s. Setting an active crossover from your new DSP amp will make a big difference. With 25W, you won' be able to make massive cuts to the EQ and still have enough volume, but I bet it will work out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 6x9s are probably getting full range signal and overlapping a lot with the 3.5s. Setting an active crossover from your new DSP amp will make a big difference. With 25W, you won' be able to make massive cuts to the EQ and still have enough volume, but I bet it will work out.
Ah, I didn't think of how tweaking EQ setting would effect the volume. That's a very good point. I was toying with the idea of pickup up a small amp for the doors' 6x9s, maybe a four channel with 75-85 watts RMS x 4, but I kind of need to reign in my budget a bit to make sure I can pay for installation of everything. Maybe if I don't like the volume from the 6x9s adding something small like a Soundstream Reserve RSM4.1200D right beside the DSP won't be too difficult for me to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you install the bass pro hub yet and see what effect it has on the overall sound ?
Yes, I did just have everything installed last week. The bass pro hub is nice. It fills out the lower end of tracks that my 6x9s can't. It's certainly not "feel it in your chest" kind of bass but it does a nice job of making well-rounded sound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts